What has been your favorite 'new series' series so far?

1235»

Comments

• Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite season is the first one.

Had Christopher stayed on I am pretty sure he would be my favourite Doctor as well.

I can't say any of the series's were poor for me, obviously some were stronger than others but I loved them all.

If I had to give a order, I would struggle. So top 3 are -

Series 1

Series 6

Series 5/7 (The finale will be the decider, but I have a strong feeling it will jump to number 2).
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Series 4 and Series 7.
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding it really hard to remember which series my favourite matt smith episodes were from, this shows how poor and confusing the recent scheduling and long gaps have been. I would say 6 is a strong contender, the three lead actors had bedded in and gave us great performances eg The girl who waited. But it is not a consistent series. Neither is 5 which had truly great stories such as the Van Gogh one. So my vote went to 4 as the most consistently great. Comedy (agatha christie), epic political sic fi (turn left) and above all 2 magnificent lead actors in tennant and tate. We need another companion who can match the doctors acting.

Of course I meant sci fi not sic fi ! :o
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 and 5, because 1 was new and I instantly loved Eccleston's Doctor. 5 for the same reasons with Matt, really. The others had some great episodes and great moments, and some duff ones but as Tennant was never my favourite Doctor it took the edge off a bit, good though a lot of it was when it actually got away from the soapy bits and ignoring the 'specials'.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Best to Worst:

1. Series 4
    2. Series 5
    3. Series 1
    4. Series 6
    5. Series 3
    6. Series 2
    7. Series 7
  • adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    My ranking (first to last)

Series 3 (apart from Blink, extremely poor)
    Series 7 (didn't serve 50th as well as it should've)
    Series 2 (didn't like how the Doctor-Rose thing developed)
    Series 5 (average series, few outstanding episodes)
    Series 1 (loved 9's performance, Slitheen knock it down)
    Series 6 (would've been top if not for River Song arc)
    Series 4 (possibly one of the best series in DW as well)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    2009 Specials

5 Has the most perfect opening pilot episode in The Eleventh Hour that Doctor Who has EVER had. I will never tire of watching that one. :) The last 10 mins in particular really sum up what I love about the show. And the rest of the season is great too. (Though Victory of The Daleks didn't really live up to it's potential.)

I've really enjoyed season 7. Even episodes like A Town Called Mercy which doesn't seem too popular with most folks.

6 Suffers a bit from the darkness of the ongoing arc wearing down things, but most of the episodes are great. And I think it ends quite strongly.

4 is by far my favourite Tennant season due to his great chemistry with Catherine Tate. I wish they'd had more scenes together in that season.

The specials would come next because I think Waters of Mars is a very daring story. And I wish it's ramifications had carried onto the final episodes. It would have been interesting to see a Doctor brought down by his own hubris and using his last hours to try and undo the damage he had caused.

1-3 in descending honour of good vrs bad episodes. With 3 ranking last because I think Blink was the only good episode in that whole season. Especially hate what they did with the Master and how the Doctor turned into a 'space Jesus' as some have called it, to save the day..:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3, 5 and 7.
    Can't decide.

Here is the order:

Series 3, 5 and 7
    Series 4
    Series 6
    Series 1
    Series 2
  • adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    My ranking (first to last)

Series 7 (didn't serve 50th as well as it should've)
    Series 2 (didn't like how the Doctor-Rose thing developed)
    Series 5 (average series, few outstanding episodes)
    Series 1 (loved 9's performance, Slitheen knock it down)
    Series 6 (would've been top if not for River Song arc)
    Series 4 (possibly one of the best series in DW as well)

I mean last to first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about Human Nature/The Family of Blood?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    What about Human Nature/The Family of Blood?

I have a problem with that one because the Doctor isn't really the Doctor for most of the two episodes. And without him, I don't really think Martha was written as enough of an interesting character to fill in the gap. It just all seems rather dull, I'm sorry to say..
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S5- pretty much perfection from start to finish. You can tell Moffat had been waiting for this most of his life. Like a perfect concept album.

S3- RTD really hit his stride in this season. It felt confident and daring and contains probably the best straight run of episodes in the shows history

S6- the arc was ultimately a disaster. So much missed opportunity. Too many ideas. Disappointing reveals. But despite all that it is still compelling even if not for all the right reasons. But a stunning opening two parter which raised the entire shows game to movie level, a ludicrous and insanely brilliant start to the second half of the season and in The Girl Who Waited and The God Complex two of the best standalone episodes of recent years. And whenever it failed you still had Eleven and Rory and Amy whose chemistry elevated even the poorer moments

S1- maybe more nostalgia combined with Ecclestones brilliance but despite a few too many weal episodes I never tire of watching this season. Again its all in the performances- Rose, Jack, Mickey and Eleven. I just loved these characters.

S7- brilliant start. Oddly underwhelming second half with Clara being really underwritten (something they have since redeemed) and while not bad it wasn't memorable enough. Visually stunning every week though.

S4- the law of diminishing returns with this one. Apart from S2 I have found more to like in every new era season. With 4 its the opposite. I loved it at the time and it felt like a show hitting its peak. Alot of hype. But rewatching it I like it less everytime. It seems dated and self indulgent already with some awful performances, some terrible forced comedy and an enjoyable but b-movie level finale. All the bits that seemed exciting at the time suddenly seem boring. All the comedy now seems cheap and slapstick. And the emotional moments which had me and my friends weeping at the time now seem like the laziest possible sentimental gloop. Its a bit of a cringefest all around. Apart from the Library two parter, the amazing Midnight and Catherine Tate's amazing farewell scenes.

S2- I almost placed this above S4. It has Love and Monsters which is the greatest misunderstood episode of all time. Doomsday and Roses farewell was an incredible and defining TV moment. Werewolves and Ninjas. The touching moments of New Earth. The amazing Ood two parter. But its lows are really low. That said I would kind of say it could be interchangeable with S4. The Cybermen return was just dreadful and I was so excited for that. More than the Daleks. Basically a bit all over the place.

The Specials? Such a mixture of sublime and ridiculous. If I had to group them together I would put them just below S7. I actually really loved Planet of the Dead as well which doesn't always get alot of credit.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Series 2-Loved the Tenth Doctor-Rose chemistry, it was funny and like the 4th Doctor and Sarah's at times but with the romance. It had the longest run of stories on the bounce I've enjoyed from Tooth and Claw right upto the Idiot's Lantern. The irony of this Series is it has Love And Monsters in it but can forgive that as it ends on my two fave episodes from New Who ever. IMO the best finale yet and we got a sad departure to go with it.

2)Series 4-Loved the Doctor-Donna relationship, the blink and miss her scenes with Rose in plus yet another cracking finale. It started of a bit slow and those adipose things were a bit daft but it just got better and better as the Series went on resulting in an amazing last four episodes and another equally if not more sad farewell with Donna.

3)Series 1-Despite my dislike for the 9th Doctor, he did have some really good episodes. Yes we had the farting slitheen and the middle of the series sagged a bit but there were also good episodes like Dalek, Father's Day, the Blitz two parter in the days when Moffat knew how to write a decent script. Plus the excellent finale resulting in a classic regeneration scene, which has in terms of just tagging it on the end of a story has yet to be bettered.

4)Series 3-The weakest of the RTD Series by far. Not a great fan of the finale, but the other stories of the Series like Human Nature/Family of Blood and Blink were far better. Didn't have a problem with Martha but her departure was a bit too low key.

5)Series 7-Just chose this Series as in terms of episodes enjoyed this was the best of the Moffat Series so far.

6)Series 6-Was an improvement on the previous Series but the vast majority of it sucked.

7)Series 5-Don't really need to say anymore about how much I dislike this Series. Aside from 4 really good episodes the rest of it was mostly dire and a good tonic for insomnia.

:)
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Second series was by far my favourite, followed by the fourth. There were some great episodes in all the other series but these two stand out for my.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Second series was by far my favourite, followed by the fourth. There were some great episodes in all the other series but these two stand out for me.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is mine....

1. Series 5

Perfect from start to finish all planned out to perfection and Amy and 11 had great chemistry.

2. Series 6

Also an awesome series I loved learning about the river song arc, but I actually hated the fact she was Amy and Rory's daughter it really annoyed me and thought was stupid. If this hadn't happened would be #1

3. Series 4

Love this series.......up until the disaster that was the rose arc, it was irrevelant and ruined RTD greatest doctor who moment when rose was trapped I the void that wras so beautiful and he went out of his way to ruin that. Catherine Tate as Donna was amazing and wished she had more then 1 series in her. Also I hated the ending it was like some sort of pointless mass reunion just to bring characters back for the sake of it. Rose maybe but you didn't need Martha, Jack, Mickey, rose mum and the kitchen sink.

4. Series 7
    Loved it but the only disappointment was lack of two parters. Angels take Manhattan should have been a two part story. Asylum of the Daleks was one my favourites and I loved the ice warriors return. Also enjoyed 50th and 2013 Christmas specials. Albeit a slow start Clara is fast becoming my favourite companion.

5. Series 3

Right this one is confusing, I loved Martha but she was ruined by the shadow of rose and RTD wrote her like a love sick puppy, and when she had a shining light moment. Bang! Rose would bring her down. Daleks in manhatten episodes were awful and I mean awful. Worst Daleks episode so far. But then the family of blood and blink redeemed the series.

6. Series 1

Ecclestone was amazing as the doctor the perfect man to take the show on and create the path for its current success. Rose was great in this series before 10 came along she was greatly written. Slitheen were Absolutely appalling and cannot watch them in any episodes. Think the "are you my mommy " two parter is one the greatest stories of nu who.

7. Series 2

Hated the fact the doctor and rose "loved" each other. I dunno something didn't sit with me. The series was a great run of episodes, I mean the finale was RTD best ever set of episodes, beautifully written and well paced. I just don't know why he ruined it by bringing back rose in series 4. This series could be higher actually because tenant and piper had great chemistry . But why it's down here is because of the train wreck that was love and monsters.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll save some time.

"I agree with saladfingers"
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already posted/voted earlier in the thread (Months ago!) and although a bit surprised just *how* far ahead Series 4 is, can't disagree with Series 5 (favourite C21 series) and Series 4 (favourite Tennant series..Donna!! :)) being in the top 2, or indeed Series 2 looking at the wooden spoon.

Enjoyed Series 7, but Series 6 definitely edges it for me so;

1. Series 5
    2. Series 4
    3. Series 6
    4. Series 7
    5. Series 3
    6. Series 1
    7. Series 2

(Not actively * disliked* any of them, mind.)