Any Prisoner Cell Block H fans out there?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
Wasn't sure which was the best forum to put this on - TV or Cult, but decided on this one in the end. No doubt if I've got it wrong someone will let me know! :D

I was an avid fan of PCBH back in the 90s when it used to be shown late at night on ITV. I always used to stay up late to watch it, no matter how late it was on, even if it meant I was a bit bleary-eyed at work the next day! :)

Have recently bought the first three batches of episodes (I don't think they are in series) on DVD and I have forgotten how much I enjoyed them. I had seen a few of the early episodes before, but most of them I haven't, so it's all new to me at the moment.

I can never remember what part of the 692 episodes I actually saw...I think it must have been about midway through as a lot of the characters in it now were in it when I was watching like Bea (although she did leave), Doreen and Lizzie and I also remember Vera leaving and being replaced by "The Freak" Ferguson.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who still likes this! :D

Comments

• guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch all the time...it was on when my daughter was born and was a late night programme, always seemed to be on when we were having a sleepless night!
    Loved old Lizzie, Queen Bea, Vinegar t.... Vera, Dopey Doreen and co. There was another warden who left and went to Neighbours or H&A.
    My daughter`s 24 today so my memory is slightly faded.
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Wasn't sure which was the best forum to put this on - TV or Cult, but decided on this one in the end. No doubt if I've got it wrong someone will let me know! :D

I was an avid fan of PCBH back in the 90s when it used to be shown late at night on ITV. I always used to stay up late to watch it, no matter how late it was on, even if it meant I was a bit bleary-eyed at work the next day! :)

Have recently bought the first three batches of episodes (I don't think they are in series) on DVD and I have forgotten how much I enjoyed them. I had seen a few of the early episodes before, but most of them I haven't, so it's all new to me at the moment.

I can never remember what part of the 692 episodes I actually saw...I think it must have been about midway through as a lot of the characters in it now were in it when I was watching like Bea (although she did leave), Doreen and Lizzie and I also remember Vera leaving and being replaced by "The Freak" Ferguson.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who still likes this! :D

Yes, i'm a big fan

I bought the entire series on DVD from OZ & try to watch a few episodes a week.

I'm currently around episode 265, with the infamous Dr Peterson. Still gripping stuff nearly 30 years after it was made
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the show, finished rewatching it again a couple of months ago thanks to a certain website, took me over a year to get through all 692 episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE it.

It always used to be on just as we got back from the pub, perfect timing.

I have the first of the box sets that they released and intend to watch it soon. Then I will buy the others.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am a big fan. I have them all on DVD and bought from Australia as it was taking too long in England.
  • JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, love it. I am assuming a lot of you were on the official forum when it was around? I was *Mouse* and Andy.

Good times. The box set is one of my best buys and my pride and joy!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Yep, love it. I am assuming a lot of you were on the official forum when it was around? I was *Mouse* and Andy.

Good times. The box set is one of my best buys and my pride and joy!

I was The Yorkshire Pud.
  • albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really enjoying watching this on DVD. Started in 2007 and watching a couple of episodes a week have reached 294 this week. Forgot how good the freak was. Maggie Kirkpatrick is in Birmingham tommorow and Sunday at the NEC Cult and Memorabilia show for anyone who wants to meet her :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He used to bring me roses, someday he will again, but that was on the outside, and things were different then....
  • mcalmcal Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested, Maggie Kirkpatrick who played Joan 'The freak' Ferguson, Glenda Linscott who played the last top dog Rita Connors and Margot Knight who played Judys girlfriend Sharon and later Joan Fergusons girfriend Terry are all appearing at Memorobilia in Birmingham this weekend. Also Amanda Muggleton who played Chrissie Latham will be making an appearance in Glasgow at the start of December.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »
    Love the show, finished rewatching it again a couple of months ago thanks to a certain website, took me over a year to get through all 692 episodes.

Lol, I 'acquired' the lot absolutely ages ago, and they're still sitting there on one of my spare hard drives!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    LOVE PCBH" I been collecting the UK releases and have all 5 boxsets to date. Been watching from episode 1 and I have literally just finished watching episode 56.

It's an amazing show and utterly enjoyable! My guilty pleasure!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Love Prisoner! Used to have an old indoor tv aeriel and was able to pick up HTV Wales (though the picture was a bit poor). Was made up when Channel 5 decided to screen every episdode, and even though it was on at 4.40am in the morning, it never stopped me.

Need to get them all on DVD, but the last price I seen for them was £1,300 which is just a little bit out of my price range!! :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was amazing to meet Maggie Kirkpatrick on Saturday at Memorabilia, She signed a photo of Joan with Ted Douglas ( AKA Ian Smith ). Also had my photo taken with her. Asked her if she still has the black gloves ( she doesn't ).

The Q and A session on stage was good. I didn't know Maggie was going to quit the show in 1986 anyway, her thoughts on the final episode were interesting. I also didn't know Margot Knight used to write on Neighbours in the 1990's.
  • JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What where her thoughts on the final episodes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She liked the final episode and the fact that Joan could not resist taking the bait and falling into the trap. It was right for Joan go to prison. She said the cast and writers had six weeks notice the show was ending.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell Yeah

Enuf Said
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always made sure I watched Prisoner every night it was on before a school day

Loved the early days of the Freak when she was at her most sadistic....Black gloves to do body searches, beating Chrissie to a pulp. The list is endless

Some of my favourite moments of Prisoner:
    • The Great Fire
    • Sandy's riot
    • Jock Stewart's downfall when he is harassing Judy and falls down the stairs
    • The Freak's downfall
    • The feud between Bea and The Freak
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember watching it on Anglia very early at just after midnight. Great stuff :)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love the show.
    Have every episode and watch them regularly.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Always made sure I watched Prisoner every night it was on before a school day

Loved the early days of the Freak when she was at her most sadistic....Black gloves to do body searches, beating Chrissie to a pulp. The list is endless

Some of my favourite moments of Prisoner:
    • The Great Fire
    • Sandy's riot
    • Jock Stewart's downfall when he is harassing Judy and falls down the stairs
    • The Freak's downfall
    • The feud between Bea and The Freak

Some of the best episodes for me were when Nola McKenzie was in Wentworth and she tried to make Bea go insane - such a classic finish to that when Bea finally realised what was going on and got hold of a zipgun to finish Nola off.

Even better was Lizzy just before it happened...

"Don't worry, Bea's going to take care of everything."

This was after months and months of Bea being completely ground into nothing - and it just reinstated her position with one simple line - amazing.
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    worst show ever, its so bad thats why i bought 5 seasons of prisoner and now i can't wait for the next 5 to come out.

bea, lou kelly, lizzie, vera and the freak are my all time favs.

my all time late lineup on itv
    PCBH, marriage with children, sledge hammer and the v.:D
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need to get them all on DVD, but the last price I seen for them was £1,300 which is just a little bit out of my price range!! :-(

I have that box set. It took me saving. And saving. And saving some more!

I'm not sure if the collectors box set is still made.

But the British releases are being sold for cheap right now. Just £11.93 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E6Q0NK/ref=asc_df_B001E6Q0NK1382273?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001E6Q0NK

And £11.85 from this site: http://www.thehut.com/dvd/prisoner-cell-block-h-vol.-1/9993673.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=gp&utm_campaign=gp_dvd :)