Do you think the Americans are hounding the Wikileaks guy?

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »
    Agreed.

Of course kj44 is right. It is the obvious answer! That is exactly what will happen.

It doesnt actually answer what the point of wikileaks though does it? I will ask again, what good will come of this? And why is he right to have done this?
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    Of course kj44 is right. It is the obvious answer! That is exactly what will happen.
    Are you suggesting security will not be tightened up as a result?
    It doesnt actually answer what the point of wikileaks though does it? I will ask again, what good will come of this? And why is he right to have done this?

I gave an example above that you ignored...

It's useful for us to know how governments talk to & about each other, who thinks what about whom, & information about illegal activities in which they're involved.

The fact that the US is amused at the UK's desperation to be its best buddy, when they really couldn't give a stuff, is salutary.

But as I said, most of it is low-grade gossip.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They've exposed various atrocities and illegal acts by governments worldwide tha we, as global citizens, have a right to be made aware of...

I cant believe i need to exlain why it's good that governments aent allowoeod to get away with covering up civilian deaths, being complicit in the sex trad of underage boys, embarking in illegl wiretapping, being complicit in torture and illegally spyng on other nation's politicians.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    They've exposed various atrocities and illegal acts by governments worldwide tha we, as global citizens, have a right to be made aware of...

I cant believe i need to exlain why it's good that governments aent allowoeod to get away with covering up civilian deaths, being complicit in the sex trad of underage boys, embarking in illegl wiretapping, being complicit in torture and illegally spyng on other nation's politicians.
    I can't either. :eek:
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wikileaks is very careful about protecting sources and redacting highly sensitive info that may harmindividuals..They were in correspondence with the US Govt. requesting that any individuals at risk would e redacted at their request. The US govt. tried to strongarm them into silence and it didn't work.

If they continue wi this strongarm tactic then the redacted edits will cease and the info will be in the hands of anonymous rather than a public accountable face..i.e:wikileaks.

They are blindly wandering into battle all gung-ho and with scant regard for those they claium to be protecting, just like a real batle really.

The point is tho Mathers, that it's everybody's word against everybody else's but once it's out there the damage is done. Wikileaks claims to have redacted and published, then the New York Times editor talks about his correspondence with the govt and how he redacted certain additional items and refused some requests...it goes on

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a big fan of govt stupidities, but where do you draw the line..this was ALL classified material, there are surely bits in there which none of us should be reading about and which will be harmful, not just to individuals but to years and years of working to establish good diplomatic relationships with countries
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I must admit, all these leaks have been rather disappointing and inconsequential tittle-tattle so far. I'm kind of hoping that for all the hype they'll release something more juicy in time. I suppose I'm just naturally nosey, so I want to know what our servants in high Government are saying and doing.

Mind you, if over 3 million people already had access to these cables, it's expecting a bit much for them to contain anything particularly secret/damaging.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't it just? Lol... Its like a government bitch-fest.

Oh Prince Andrew is rude..... Naaaaaah

Oh my goodness Iran is making everyone nervous... the fools.

Saudi Arabia are really really really really two faced to everyone INIT!

China is like so WHATEVER.... AM I BOVVERED!
    :D

I seriously don't see the fuss lol... Unless they reveal that Bush has secret holidays with Osama Bin Laden... Or that Elvis Priestly is still alive and living in the Bahamas.... Then this shit really isn't news... Just another distraction dressed up as some kind of liberal-hippy- freedom-fighting leaks... Please. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    The point is tho Mathers, that it's everybody's word against everybody else's but once it's out there the damage is done. Wikileaks claims to have redacted and published, then the New York Times editor talks about his correspondence with the govt and how he redacted certain additional items and refused some requests...it goes on

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a big fan of govt stupidities, but where do you draw the line..this was ALL classified material, there are surely bits in there which none of us should be reading about and which will be harmful, not just to individuals but to years and years of working to establish good diplomatic relationships with countries

if those good diplomatic relationships are borne out of enabling the sale of young boys as sex slaves and turning blind eyes to murder then I'd rather not believe the lie that all is hunkydorey in the world and see the bastards hung out to dry.

That's just me though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need to believe you have to explain why any of that is good because nobody on here, as far as I can see, is talking about those issues. Like I said, publish and shame a country but select what the real issues are...don't just spit it all out because you can, without considering ALL the long term ramifications of the act
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I seriously don't see the fuss lol... Unless they reveal that Bush has secret holidays with Osama Bin Laden...

It's already a well known fact that he Bushes and the Bin Ladens have a cosy relationship, epic choice of hyperbolic failiure.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/bin_laden_family_link_to_bush.html
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

I've given two clear positive outcomes that you're disregarding.

De-escalation of the Korean situation and greater responsibility by governments and companies entrusted with secrets.

Of course anyone who has been caught with their trousers down is going to smear such as Assange, and of course to be a campaigning journalist you have to have a strong ego.

Let me ask you, given the widespread availability of those secrets, given the near-inevitabilty of their disclosure, can you suggest a better outcome than such as Wikileaks, that doesn't reduce to calling Assange names?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    don't just spit it all out because you can, without considering ALL the long term ramifications of the act

Meh. As they say - better out than in.

(or is that farts?)
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already a well known fact that he Bushes and the Bin Ladens have a cosy relationship, epic choice of hyperbolic failiure.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/bin_laden_family_link_to_bush.html

Yeah but everyone knows that they had a financial history together right? We at least bin Ladens dad did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if those good diplomatic relationships are borne out of enabling the sale of young boys as sex slaves and turning blind eyes to murder then I'd rather not believe the lie that all is hunkydorey in the world and see the bastards hung out to dry.

That's just me though.

Guess that's just you then...anyone who has a problem with any part of these leaks is obviously enabling sex slaves and murder..oh well
    Forum Member
    Are you suggesting security will not be tightened up as a result?
    Errr nope. I agreed with you and KJ44? Did you not just read thst? ? ? ? Weird.
    I gave an example above that you ignored...

It's useful for us to know how governments talk to & about each other & who thinks what about whom.

The fact that the US is amused at the UK's desperation to be its best buddy, when they couldn't really give a stuff, is salutary.

I didn't ignore it, I just choose to not comment as it is not exactly breaking news. We all knew that anyway.

You don't need to explain anything.

Yes this as well as Christa's point is clear and may be true and poignant, but I am afraid he, like DS members are not going to change the world or how it works just because we are all privvy to information we all already kind of knew was going on anyway.
    Forum Member
    You don't need to believe you have to explain why any of that is good because nobody on here, as far as I can see, is talking about those issues. Like I said, publish and shame a country but select what the real issues are...don't just spit it all out because you can, without considering ALL the long term ramifications of the act

Exactly!

OTT DS we can change the word dramatics as usual.

We can't, it wont change and exposing corruption which we know exsists wont change jack, only cause tension and open us up to exposure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr nope. I agreed with you and KJ44? Did you not just read thst? ? ? ? Weird.
    I assumed you were being sarcastic in the context of your previous comments.
    I didn't ignore it, I just choose to not comment as it is not exactly breaking news. We all knew that anyway.
    You don't need to explain anything. .
    We all guessed it, but with no offical confirmation either way... For the information/opinion about Russia to come from government level, gives it far more weight than prior media speculation & theories.

And it's not a question of whether the info was 'breaking news' or not, you asked specifically if any *good* would come out of wikileaks & I said yes, this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess that's just you then...anyone who has a problem with any part of these leaks is obviously enabling sex slaves and murder..oh well

Nah that's not what I meant, and I do appreciate there's plenty of these leaks that are incosequential at best, but wikileaks does its best to moderate the leaks, 250,000 cables is a lot o data and its basically leak it through wiki, and have some accuntable, independent moderation or leak itunabridged and lose all accountability.....these facts wont be declared by goverments willingly so it's the 'lesser of two evils' really (although that idiom isnt really befitting, as the acts of evil are surely what is being disclosed)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyways my bf's home, I'm off. Night y'all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly!

We can't, it wont change and exposing corruption which we know exsists wont change jack, only cause tension and open us up to exposure.

Yeah, let's revel in our impotence and just be good little worker bees.

I'd rather have a crack at changing the world from the shitpit we currently reside, and no chatting on DS isnt gonna change the world of course, but wikileaks and the global spead of free information undoctored by those who seek to edit out the uglier bits of the storymight, its a step in the right direction at least.
    Forum Member
    Anyways my bf's home, I'm off. Night y'all!
    Night Christa!
    Yeah, let's revel in our impotence and just be good little worker bees.

I'd rather have a crack at changing the world from the shitpit we currently reside, and no chatting on DS isnt gonna change the world of course, but wikileaks and the global spead of free information undoctored by those who seek to edit out the uglier bits of the storymight, its a step in the right direction at least.

Lets hope it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly!

Not much else to say tho, once it spirals down to wikileaks being mainly about exposing sex slaves and torture and murder!

Oh and to find out that North Korea is and has been posturing for a while now :p
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Assange circus is certainly causing a ruckus. Pity there isn't a Nobel prize for chaos :p
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wikileaks in theory could be a good thing, but it's reminding me more of a gossip rag. What possible good could come from leaking, a "list of facilities 'vital to US security"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11923766
  • Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical yanks really, they don't like someone so they set him up as somekind of Osama Bin Laden character.
    Of course this rape allegation is a fraud, setting people up is what the yanks do best.

We have to support Wikileaks because the world media is controlled by a very few people who push their own agendas and Murdoch as openly admitted to it.

Alternative media is the only was to beat these cheats and gangsters that pass themselves off as pokliticians.