Options

Top Gear Baby Stig

124»

Comments

• Options
    baldyman26baldyman26 Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I have to laugh when I read people moaning about top gear.
    OK this time round the special wasn't as good but it was still worth watching. Lets face it the guys make the show. If you had 3 cars driving around for an hour with nobody's in the driving seat nobody would watch. If you had an hour long show about cars and nothing else, it would be boring, it is the banter and the daft stupid humour that makes it. We all know Top Gear is scripted, but we still switch it on BECAUSE WE LIKE IT. I bet it will probably end soon then all you moaners will be back on here MOANING. It is simple, if you think it is crap, don't watch it. If you watch it expecting it to be something other than what it is you will be disappointed. If you want to watch cars, then go on the manufacturers web site. that will tell you all you need to know.

Oh and while I am ranting, all this rubbish about people being offended, open your eyes and realise what is really wrong with the world today, If you watch top gear and not expect to be offended by something then you are seriously mis guided. People take offence to easily these days.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I ended up watching something last night and it reminded me of the direction Top Gear is going.

The Goodies!
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    i thought it was incredibly funny !

Have you left Kindergarten yet?

:confused:
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an proud Atheist I think that Clarkson should be knighted for his humour in this episode. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beeb did us proud this year. I much enjoyed Top Gears two shows, the Ozz and Dennis booze thing and the three men not al ways in a boat series.

If TG went back to just being a tedious review after review of cars it would be axed in no time. Its the personalities of the presenters that is selling the show far and wide abd why I for one tune in.

Thou I must say I must be pretty thick as I didnt see the baby stig thing comming... shame on me ...
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    What utter tosh and a waste of one and quarter hour's TV this was. I couldn't start myself laughing at this inane rubbish.

Each to their own I found it very entertaining - could not stop myself laughing at the Christmas special and that included the Baby stig!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed both of them. I think the American special was a tad more funny then the Christmas special. There were some really funny moments in the Christmas special though and even though I wasn't really suprised that it was a baby Stig I kinda guessed it was going to be stupid when they pretty much said any serious viewers should turn off now. Well words to those effects anyway.

I liked it, they are never going to please everyone all the time so I don't get why some people can't just let the people who enjoyed it enjoy it. Fine if you don't like it you have the right not to, but I don't get why people moan about people liking it. Some people just take it for what it is and find the humour in it over scripted or not.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you left Kindergarten yet?

:confused:

Have you learnt the meaning of the word 'opinion' yet?
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Have you learnt the meaning of the word 'opinion' yet?

Oh yes but I think that the levesl of immaturity on DS knows no limits!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Saw it coming a mile off.

Oh Yeah, then why didn't you post it here then to prove it and don't say because it would be a spoiler, because it wouldn't.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I admit I thought it was pretty dire.

Maybe the specials are more for the casual viewer who don't watch TG all the time.
    For me it has slipped too far into sitcom territory rather than a scripted, factual entertainment program.

Could you elaborate, on what they need to do, to get your approval and laughter please. Actually I mean those with your viewpoint, not specifically you.

After enjoying the latest Top gear, I trawled through these threads and read nothing but complaints. The thing is, I don't get what the problem is, so I wish those that criticise, would enlighten us a bit more specifically, on what is wrong.

Just saying its been dire for several series, means nothing. For all I know your complaint might be, that you don't like the new font in the credits.

From what you have said, it seems you just want a programme about cars. In other words the sky at night with cars, instead of astronomy.

The problem is, a big proportion of the audience are people that would never watch, what they would consider such a dull programme.

Top Gear has a large female and non petrol head audience, which it would almost certainly lose if they complied with your wishes. It would have a BBC2 audience measured in the thousands, rather than in the millions and probably be moved to a 5pm timeslot, when every one is having their tea.

BTW: I'm a big fan of the Sky at Night, it was just an example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stale and repetitive have been mentioned several times in the thread (probably by me :D).

I think those are the major points. It's still a good watch but sometimes you just think they've done it before (specifically the challenges), couldn't they do something different? I'm not a program maker or script writer so I don't know how to go about it.

They have too many reviews on Evo v Impreza and Porches GT3 or whatever.

They've shown they can still do interesting but entertaining reviews with British Leyland and Lancia etc.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO the last few series have been stale. There's moment of brilliance (like the shopping centre car review and the beach landing review, the lorry challenge).

Alot of the humour now is so painfully obvious and contrived. It used to look much more spontaneous - even if it wasn't.

Even the Star parts are just obvious adverts. It used to be much more subtle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    IMO the last few series have been stale. There's moment of brilliance (like the shopping centre car review and the beach landing review, the lorry challenge).

Alot of the humour now is so painfully obvious and contrived. It used to look much more spontaneous - even if it wasn't.

Even the Star parts are just obvious adverts. It used to be much more subtle.
    It seemed pretty obvious that they jumped on the fact that Ross was out of the picture. They tried to lampoon themselves about it but actually became worse.
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes but I think that the levesl of immaturity on DS knows no limits!

:rolleyes:

Top Gear used to be a minority show for car enthusiasts presented by William Woollard. A little bit more like Fifth Gear is now.

Top Gear changed it's identity/format many moons ago and is now aimed at a mass audience, which will include a lot of 8 year old boys who love it. I also love it and I'm 40.

The people who moan about Top Gear dumbing down are the same who moan about Dr Who dumbing down. All you need to do is look at the comparative ratings of DW and Top Gear in the 80's (and now) to see why the Beeb changed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Each to their own I found it very entertaining - could not stop myself laughing at the Christmas special and that included the Baby stig!

Same here! Best thing on TV by miles. I've now watched it 3 times and still find it hilarious. Its lighthearted fun and entertainment which is rare. Give me Jeremy, Richard and James any day :D

As for those that can't stop moaning about the programme because its stale, boring, contrived, scripted etc etc...can I suggest you go and watch something you do like, because you're getting boring :yawn:
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    From what I've heard they were still using a white stig for the TG Live shows in November.

Thanks for the info :)
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Like others I guessed the Baby Stig bit but was surpised it wasn't a different colour one, unless they really are sticking two fingers up at Ben sticking with the same colour.

PJ

Or maybe something to do with the millions of pounds of merchandising with the iconic white stig.

Last time they changed the colour the Stig was not a valuable brand - changing colour is not typical.

The farm video introduced a new white stig too.
  • Options
    grumpyitmangrumpyitman Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    What utter tosh and a waste of one and quarter hour's TV this was. I couldn't start myself laughing at this inane rubbish.

why watch it then???
  • Options
    JaneFinnJaneFinn Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    As an proud Atheist I think that Clarkson should be knighted for his humour in this episode. :D

Excellent plan!
    As a proud (to be a) Christian, I fully agree :D