BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable ! Is this 5 Live saving money ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who were those 2 inarticulate muppets on with Noilan last night after midnight? They were awful.
  • statman_61statman_61 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Not even an attempt at providing a travel news service this morning between 6 and 6.30. This is getting really poor now.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    statman_61 wrote: »
    Not even an attempt at providing a travel news service this morning between 6 and 6.30. This is getting really poor now.

And NC introduced the travel rather than the weather at 7.00. Bit of a shambles even by their standards this morning.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    After only one week of new schedule Adrian Chiles off. 3 hours of Sam Walker not a chance.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic isn't it ? 5live giving a job to yet another presenter who'd rather be anywhere else but Salford.
  • losimagiclosimagic Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    He was on itv in estonia last night
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Adrian Chiles not making it into even the second week of his new show without a break must be a record...even by the current standards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Sam Walker back in this morning for Adrian Chiles and we are back to discussing suicide.

Sam Walker = Victoria Derbyshire clone, her shows are always just as depressing.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pathetic isn't it ? 5live giving a job to yet another presenter who'd rather be anywhere else but Salford.

Not sure if it indicates he doesn't want to be in Salford - I imagine his commitment to presenting the football for ITV pre-dated any contract for this new 5Live show.

Bad timing that the show started last week though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe8979 wrote: »
    Sam Walker back in this morning for Adrian Chiles and we are back to discussing suicide.

Sam Walker = Victoria Derbyshire clone, her shows are always just as depressing.

This is what I thought would happen when they moved to Salford, no continuity in their presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mall wrote: »
    Surely Adrian Chiles not making it into even the second week of his new show without a break must be a record...even by the current standards.

It's as bad as Chris Evans used to be on Radio 1 !
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Walker is so boring to listen to. I'm sure she's a thoroughly nice person but she's not what you'd call a 'radio personality'.
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    Sam Walker is so boring to listen to. I'm sure she's a thoroughly nice person but she's not what you'd call a 'radio personality'.

Listening to Ms. Walker is like listening to Ms. Burden, but with a mucus-free throat :o
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Sarah Brett having a day off too?
  • statman_61statman_61 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Given her background on Radio Ulster, does she still live there and commute across to do the show? I notice the Belfast to Manchester flight was delayed by over 2 hours today!
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Listening to Ms. Walker is like listening to Ms. Burden, but with a mucus-free throat :o

Mucus free throat?? I don't think so. Her voice does my head in, as well as Rachel Burden.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re Adrian Chiles

You all assume that no account would have been taken of his commitment to Football on ITV when he signed up for 5 live. That neither his agent nor the BBC took this fact into account when he signed his contract.

As has been said here Mister Chiles was in Estonia last night in a match that finished around 7.00PM last night.

When he was on Drive he was away during the World Cup and when England played on a Friday Night.

I am sorry some of you dislike certain presenters because of a perceived voice inflection. Sorry also that you find suicide so uncomfortable a listen.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    statman_61 wrote: »
    Given her background on Radio Ulster, does she still live there and commute across to do the show? I notice the Belfast to Manchester flight was delayed by over 2 hours today!

She wasn't there for the first hour, so you could be right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You all assume that no account would have been taken of his commitment to Football on ITV when he signed up for 5 live. That neither his agent nor the BBC took this fact into account when he signed his contract.

Yes, but what's the point in having a regular presenter who's going to be regularly absent ? !
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    As for James Whale? You must be on a wind up. His Talksport show was awful.

So is it cheaper to get someone from London to Manchester then?

Your point is nothing to do with his travel or where else he works it's based on the fact you don't like him as a broadcaster. Fair enough. I disagree and I think he is a great talk show presenter and 5 live would be worse off without him.

I'm not on a wind up at all - I'm giving you different options as an example of an already employed BBC presenter in Frances Finn who is in Nottingham so not a million miles away - there are other BBC broadcasters who can do a better job (not difficult) without flying backward and forward to Ireland....
    that you choose to pick on the James Whale example means you centre on an alternate choice I gave you rather than deal with the issue which is paying out to ship in a very mediocre presenter is illogical and wasteful .....but hey it's not their money is it??

I never listened to talksport as its more football oriented than 5live for me but he was excellent on BBC IMHO ... that you don't like him is fine I just posted a couple of options there are several others.....
    It's not just me by the way....see posters above for like minds on the clown....
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Re Adrian Chiles

As has been said here Mister Chiles was in Estonia last night in a match that finished around 7.00PM last night.

But that sums it up. It would seem that Adrian Chiles only commitment is to Adrian Chiles.

To these TV types radio seems to be simply a standby for the days when they can't get their faces on the TV. How dare anyone suggest that radio should be given a full time commitment.

However, I'd never realised that TV money was so poor that such people needed to supplement their meagre pickings by doing occasionally turning up to do a radio show.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the next year, Chiles will miss 3 because of football with 2 times probably having to present the show somewhere other than Manchester.

Not a lot then.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Peter Allen could do it when Chiles is off and vice versa to add continuity. We have now had 6 days and 3 different presenters.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    In the next year, Chiles will miss 3 because of football with 2 times probably having to present the show somewhere other than Manchester.
    Not a lot then.

We appear to have a psychic defending this shambles.

Blimey I've known people arrive back from a 2 week stint working abroad, in the early morning hours and still come in work and do a 12 hour shift.I can't see any excuse for some pampered radio or tv presenter not to turn up and do his job that only extends to 2 days a week or a total of 6 hours on 5live ! Perhaps he was just too tired.:) Bless him.
This discussion has been closed.