Options

Would Cheryl Cole be successful without The X Factor?

ThrillKisserThrillKisser Posts: 8
Forum Member
Girls Aloud became successful in the UK in 2003 because of Popstars: The Rivals. Would Cheryl Cole have become a successful solo artist without The X-Factor? None of the other members of Girls Aloud have had very much success as solo singers. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get the impression she's always been very driven in her career, and in fairness, willing to work hard to achieve success, so I suspect she'd have been successful even without X Factor, but she's been wise to hitch her wagon to that particular vehicle, it being so high profile. If she's truly wise though, she'll ditch it before it goes over a cliff, which I don't think is going to be far off.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the better question would be would she be a success if she wasn't so photogenic?

To which the answer would be no. Average voice, and prefers to mine anyway and no real musical ability in terms of writing and crafting songs. Even the solo music she does 'produce' is hardly well received even for basic pop music.

She's basically a product of her image - she's marketed on the fact she's a hot lass.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always the chance that she would have auditioned by one of the Pop Star judges (or other major manager) for a girl band independently of the X-factor. They would have needed to work harder to get succesful though as they wouldn't have had the publicity juganaut of Pop Star's the rivals. However it is possible she would have got as popular with hard work and a bit of luck.

I don't think she would have made it if she had tried to start as a solo artist though, I have a feeling she needed the calming elements of a band back then.

But in line with the message above, she wouldn't have got anywhere if she was a minger, that's just the way the music industry works!
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will ever know so what's the point in even asking such a pointless question?
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had Girls Aloud not happened then Cheryl Cole would probably be working in a chip shop in Newcastle upon Tyne. Had The X-Factor not happened she'd probably have been on Celebrity Big Brother by now although if the performance of her new album is anything to go by she'll be a future contestant.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I think she would be struggling by now. The show is an excellent source of self promotion for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    No one will ever know so what's the point in even asking such a pointless question?

We already do since her third album did poorly compared to the previous two. Now her 4th album is doing well since she is back on the show. So, without the show she is clearly less successful.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    We already do since her third album did poorly compared to the previous two. Now her 4th album is doing well since she is back on the show. So, without the show she is clearly less successful.

Her 4th album isn't doing that well. It had a massive fall in chart last week (#7 to #28!). And charting at #7 is hardly worth writing home about. I never really got the fuss over Cheryl to be honest. I love pop music and Girls Aloud, but all her solo stuff leaves me a bit cold tbh.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down to 40 this week...

Third single is needed and quick..!

However if two number 1 singles wont make people buy it nothing will. Maybe she is more of a singles artist now like The Saturdays!>:(
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually her new album is doing very badly. Only peaked at 7 and down to 40 in the charts this weeks, hardly a success, far less successful than her third album. So far.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she would be as successful. Did anyone really pay that much attention to Cheryl (or any of the girls as single people) before Ashley cheated and she became a judge? Those two things boosted her career massively, then she proved to be a successful judge and Will.I.Am took her on board.
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    i get the impression she's always been very driven in her career, and in fairness, willing to work hard to achieve success, so I suspect she'd have been successful even without X Factor, but she's been wise to hitch her wagon to that particular vehicle, it being so high profile. If she's truly wise though, she'll ditch it before it goes over a cliff, which I don't think is going to be far off.

Work hard? Please... Lol
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she would be as successful. Did anyone really pay that much attention to Cheryl (or any of the girls as single people) before Ashley cheated and she became a judge? Those two things boosted her career massively, then she proved to be a successful judge and Will.I.Am took her on board.

Agree. It's not purely down the being on XF but that certainly gave her a huge boost.

IMO, the reason for her career are (a) her looks (b) being cheated on by Ashley (c) X Factor and (d) will i am giving her a huge leg up. All 4 factors combined has pretty much guaranteed her success way beyond her ability
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how badly her current album is bombing, she isn't that successful with X Factor.
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Everything that's wrong with the music industry. Thanks to music tv we have to put up with talentless no marks like this pathetic excuse of a singer. Embarrassing. Gone were the days of actually being talented and writing good music.
    The only saving grace is that her music will be forgotten in the next few years.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything that's wrong with the music industry. Thanks to music tv we have to put up with talentless no marks like this pathetic excuse of a singer. Embarrassing. Gone were the days of actually being talented and writing good music.
    The only saving grace is that her music will be forgotten in the next few years.

To be fair her new album is actually not too bad. I mean, it is what it is - an above average pop album. If you don't like it, thats fine - its entirely subjective. But don't be such a snob.

What would you say were the worst three tracks on her new album?

And unless I'm missing something, there are plenty of good bands / artists around who are talented and write good music.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Quixotic wrote: »
    Had Girls Aloud not happened then Cheryl Cole would probably be working in a chip shop in Newcastle upon Tyne. Had The X-Factor not happened she'd probably have been on Celebrity Big Brother by now although if the performance of her new album is anything to go by she'll be a future contestant.

And if that jury had found her guilty of the racial element of her assault she would probably be working in the chip shop.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if that jury had found her guilty of the racial element of her assault she would probably be working in the chip shop.

Except that was a complete lie, why can't people drop it? It was 12 years ago!
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    did the Voice help Jessie J or Kylie with album sales?
    did the XFactor help Tulisa, Nicole, Kelly or Cheryl with album sales?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually her new album is doing very badly. Only peaked at 7 and down to 40 in the charts this weeks, hardly a success, far less successful than her third album. So far.

I think that is because her return was heralded as a return to form, the nation's sweetheart making her return to prominence, but on the show she's came across as increasingly unlikeable, affecting her mass appeal given the prominence of the platform.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's nothing wrong with starting a hypothetical discussion. Nobody forces you to get involved. If you think it's pointless, ignore it and spend your time on other discussions.
  • Options
    StewartFStewartF Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She would still have been successful without The X Factor, though probably not quite to the same level as she was. The show came around at the right time and seemed to elevate her to another level in terms of fame and attention.

I don't get why some people put The X Factor down to being the sole reason she had any success. There was already a decent amount of publicity and attention around her due to being in Girls Aloud and her marriage to Ashley Cole, plus she had a built in fanbase already due to GA.

Tulisa and Kelly Rowland both released singles and albums during their time as judges and neither had particularly great success (albums peaking at 35 and 43 respectively).

As for Cheryl's diminishing album sales, I think people have cottoned on to the fact her albums contain a lot of filler. She released her second album in 2010 when X Factor was at its absolute peak, and Cheryl was still constantly in the news due to her divorce and catching malaria, yet it sold 600,000 copies less than her first. People have come to realise over time that her albums, singles aside, aren't great.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »

I was just pointing it out.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I think the better question would be would she be a success if she wasn't so photogenic?

Exactly. Plenty of people can sing a bit and are willing to work hard if given the chance. But this girl is probably the most photogenic pop star of her generation, and that more than anything is at the root of her success.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »

Was you there? Because unless you was how can it be a lie