Sudoku guessing

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now I love Sudoku and like to think I'm quite good at them but I end up guessing placement of a number or two for the most difficult puzzles.

Is this something you are meant to do? (most likely not )or is there a way of doing as puzzle as normal?

Have you a tried and tested technique for when it seems impossible without guessing?

Comments

• EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this something you are meant to do? (most likely not )or is there a way of doing as puzzle as normal?

You're right - you're not supposed to guess.
    Have you a tried and tested technique for when it seems impossible without guessing?

I find it helpful to write all the possible numbers (in small print) at the top of the box and then cross them out - 60% of the time, it works all the time.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not "guessing" would be cheating. Bifurcation however is often necessary on the more complex puzzles :D

Really depends on the setter. Some of the more complex newspaper ones (I think in the telegraph) could simply not be solved without guessing. I was quite annoyed when I found out you were expected to guess, sorry I mean bifurcate

But in essence the idea is to pick one of the squares with only two options. Choose one of them, solve the puzzle from that using pencil till you either complete or hit an error (at which point you know you should have chosen the other)
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    You're right - you're not supposed to guess.

I find it helpful to write all the possible numbers (in small print) at the top of the box and then cross them out - 60% of the time, it works all the time.

I meant bifurcate (see below :p)
    platelet wrote: »
    Definitely not "guessing" would be cheating. Bifurcation however is often necessary on the more complex puzzles :D

Really depends on the setter. Some of the more complex newspaper ones (I think in the telegraph) could simply not be solved without guessing. I was quite annoyed when I found out you were expected to guess, sorry I mean bifurcate

But in essence the idea is to pick one of the squares with only two options. Choose one of them, solve the puzzle from that using pencil till you either complete or hit an error (at which point you know you should have chosen the other)

ah yes, this is what I have been doing, although I never seem to have a pen handy and I stopped doing the tiny numbers up in the corner of the box for some unknown reason

Good to know that it's actually a recognised technique and not just me being rubbish at Sudoku.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no. Nothing worse than getting toward the end to find you've ballsed it up somewhere along the line.

I have to be certain before I write it in. If I've got a square down to a possible two numbers I pencil them in little in the corner.

Edit: I see I'm so slow replying that the little numbers in corners has been covered already :cool:

I know someone who doesn't pencil in little numbers and I honestly don't know how she manages to complete them. I couldn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    You never have to guess (or bifurcate!).

If you steadily go through each vertical number by number, then each horizontal and then each 9X9 box over and over again there is always at least one certainty.

I do the samurai sudoku in the times (5 overlapping sudoku in one puzzle) each Saturday and even in the most difficult ones (termed by them as fiendish) I've never had to guess.

Sorry.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never have to guess (or bifurcate!).

If you steadily go through each vertical number by number, then each horizontal and then each 9X9 box over and over again there is always at least one certainty.

I do the samurai sudoku in the times (5 overlapping sudoku in one puzzle) each Saturday and even in the most difficult ones (termed by them as fiendish) I've never had to guess.

Sorry.

I also do this over and over again but sometimes to no avail >:(
    Forum Member
    Then sorry, but you are missing something then. I find that if one is really doing my head in and I put it down for a while, I go back to it with fresh eyes and usually find a number straight away almost.

My ex husband used to do the little numbers in the top of the box thing and it drove me mad. One night he tried all night to tell me that there was no other way until I showed him painstakingly by doing it without guessing that it could be completed....

Sorry again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is bifurcation guessing? I don't guess but I think I might bifurcate. Am I a bifurker if I pencil in two numbers as possibilities but I'm not filling in the final answer until I'm absolutely sure?

I do it because, for example, if I know for sure two boxes in a line, or square of nine, are definitely, say, 2 or 7 and then I find a third square could be either 2, 7 or 9 I'll know that it must be 9 because my doodles will have told me so. Is this bifurcation?

Not even sure why I care so much. :D I'm bifurcurious.
    Forum Member
    http://www.paulspages.co.uk/sudoku/howtosolve/

This is a good strategy site.
    Forum Member
    Is bifurcation guessing? I don't guess but I think I might bifurcate. Am I a bifurker if I pencil in two numbers as possibilities but I'm not filling in the final answer until I'm absolutely sure.

I do it because, for example, if I know for sure two boxes in a line, or square of nine, are definitely, say, 2 or 7 and then I find a third square could be either 2, 7 or 9 I'll know that it must be 9 because my doodles will have told me so. Is this bifurcation?

Not even sure why I care so much. :D I'm bifurcurious.

Bifurcation is taking educated guesses I think and yes it includes doing the two numbers in a box thing until you decide which one it is.

The example you give is exactly how sudoku is solved (I remember the numbers that might go there rather than writing them in). Logic and patience. If you do it line by line and number by number there is never a 'chance' placing and there will always be somewhere else that a definite number goes that may then lead to your '2 numbers in box' by eliminating one of the numbers.

Hope that makes sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry.

I'd agree with that - I've never had a problem with the times ones. That's why I was trying to remember which paper it was that cheats and I'm fairly sure it was the telegraph. It's been years mind so could have been the observer say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bifurcation is taking educated guesses I think and yes it includes doing the two numbers in a box thing until you decide which one it is.

The example you give is exactly how sudoku is solved (I remember the numbers that might go there rather than writing them in). Logic and patience. If you do it line by line and number by number there is never a 'chance' placing and there will always be somewhere else that a definite number goes that may then lead to your '2 numbers in box' by eliminating one of the numbers.

Hope that makes sense.

It does. That's how I do it. I'm in awe that you can remember the possible numbers.

Agree with your other post - sometimes you need to set it down and go back to it when you can't get any further. Every time I've done that I've immediately found a really obvious one that I had missed in my frustration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep Telegraph (not that I've been holding a grudge for a decade or anything)

I found this from Michael Mepham (Telegraph setter)
    So how do they do it? I’ll wager that when you started sudoku you didn’t think
    you’d be dealing with methodological analysis and bifurcation, but these are the
    technical terms for the process of picking a likely pair of numbers, choosing
    one and seeing where the number you have chosen gets you. Because you can
    be confident that one of the numbers will eventually produce a route to the
    solution, it is simply a matter of carefully analysing the options and testing your
    choice. If your first choice doesn’t work out then you take the alternative route.
    I must emphasize that this final strategy is reserved for the most difficult
    of the diabolical and, occasionally, tough puzzles – when all else fails

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/pdf/solving_sudoku.pdf
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    And once you've mastered Sodoku, you can learn to solve ketsudo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then sorry, but you are missing something then. I find that if one is really doing my head in and I put it down for a while, I go back to it with fresh eyes and usually find a number straight away almost.

My ex husband used to do the little numbers in the top of the box thing and it drove me mad. One night he tried all night to tell me that there was no other way until I showed him painstakingly by doing it without guessing that it could be completed....

Sorry again.

I think I've met you. :blush: I was doing a sudoku on a train once, writing tiny numbers in the corners of the squares (because my brain will only hold one thought at a time) and a complete stranger came up and said, "Oh please don't do it like that! It looks so untidy!"

Can't get on with killer sudoku at all. I must be missing something. I think, "hmmm, let's write down all the ways you can get 19 with four numbers and eliminate the digits that can't be right" and discover almost every time that I haven't eliminated any digits at all.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    It sometimes takes me a couple of days to complete the one in the MOS (yes ! you heard me the MOS :o shoot me down in flames if it makes you feel better :p ) and sometimes I get about two thirds through and find I've put 2 of the same numbers on the same line !!! that is very annoying, but I never guess, there's no fun in that.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone would like a little more mental gymnastics this site http://www.sudokukingdom.com/ is pretty good. You can change the difficulty level under the puzzle.