Options

Simon Cowell Mocks Strictly

samiskimsamiskim Posts: 1,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apparently Simon Cowell has been reported saying no-one will watch the Strictly Semi-Final. He displayed a bad case of sour grapes last year when Strictly won Best Entertainment Show.

I have news for Simon - I will be watching Strictly on Saturday and then switch over and see the remainder of X Factor.

I personally feel he is jealous of Strictly's success and deals with this by dissing the programme.

Message to Simon Cowell - I can't speak for the rest of Britain but I will watch Strictly - semi-final, final and Christmas Special - and if it clashes with X-Factor then my loyalties are with glitter balls and sequins. :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member
    To be fair, whatever Simon says I just hear "wah wah wah wah wah" anyway... so he can mock it all he likes! :D
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose Simon Cowell is a big Strictly fan....it's not going to make him any money so why would he be;)
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore it - don't give the petulant child the attention it craves and it will (hopefully) learn to behave properly in public.
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    Simon's credibility went out of the window this series when he chose to keep JEdward. I like X-Factor but, Simon's greed was there for all to see when he kept them in. Let's be fair on paper he had the strongest category and yet his two strongest performers aren't with him. Instead of improving he made them look a lot worse than they were when they started. All he's doing is trying to deflect the public's disappointment in him by dismissing SCD.

As much as he (AND certain FMs) want to slate SCD it has a hard core following and there's very little he can do about.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's all panto between the shows. I remember Bruce mocking a couple of years ago when The X Factor seemed to be struggling and Strictly was firing on all cylinders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever watched the X-Factor when I visit friends who insist on watching it, I have never watched it on my own TV and don't plan on doing so. I refuse to watch a programme that makes money for a man who makes a living from being nasty to people :mad:

I will also be buying that Rage Against the Machine song next week :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    isopap wrote: »
    I've only ever watched the X-Factor when I visit friends who insist on watching it, I have never watched it on my own TV and don't plan on doing so. I refuse to watch a programme that makes money for a man who makes a living from being nasty to people :mad:

I will also be buying that Rage Against the Machine song next week :D

You do realise it's Simon's company that's selling the song (IIRC)? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Aarrrrgh no I didn't. One of my friends told me to buy it and I quite liked the idea.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive never been a big fan of the X-Factor or BGT. I stopped watching them in any meaningful way several years ago.

I dont think Simon is jealous of Strictly cos the X-Factor is really trousing them in the rating this year... for all the complaints about Strictly this year (and they are LEGION) I think the tide is showing signs of turning against Cowell a little. Dont get me wrong, I think his dominance will continue for many years to come but the first inklings of disquiet are starting this year.

For me Cowell's shows give the wrong message to the public. The idea that fame and success can be gained instantly, rather than the hard slog and practice that is in reality required. Clearly the X-Factor contestants DO practice for years but we dont see that labour on the show and it encourages a culture of instant gratification and reward.

I also dislike the tendancy for these new stars to be massively hyped, only to be dropped like hot cakes by Cowell the minute they fail to be a massive money spinner. as a big music fan, I resent what I interpret as Cowells fixation on his artists making money rather than producing good music (and some of those that emerge from these shows ARE talented). Added to that theres the very controlled way these artists are markets and the very bald, mainstream music that they eventually produce. Originality and creativity is not required in a Cowell protegy...:rolleyes:I find Cowell and his ilk very cynical.

For me Strictly is different in tone altogether and that is one of the reasons I prefer it. The contestants already have some talent or achievement in their past (Jo Wood excepted!):p THey are taught a NEW skill, we see their training every day on ITT, we see them develop and struggle in a way that is barely touched on in X-Factor. At the end of the show THEY GET A GLITTER BALL! Thats it, no bullshit about a big career as a dancer, or international celebrity off the back of it...

OK, yes, the contestants DO benefit their careers from Strictly, but at least they excelled at something (in most cases:p) BEFORE Strictly, and most return to their original careers with a higher profile and a new skill to boot.

Theres less bull in Strictly and thats why I prefer it!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Trix71Trix71 Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that i do get the feeling that i am the only one on earth that doesnt watch xf...

Strictly ftw!
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Sony is not Simon Cowells company, Syco is thats under Sonys umbrella as is Rage Against The Machine, does Simon Bowel make money off PS3?

in other words Sony owns Cowell and Rage.

Buy it if you like, he was very very agitated at the press conference!

79p and money goes to the homeless! :D
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    samiskim wrote: »
    I personally feel he is jealous of Strictly's success and deals with this by dissing the programme.

Jealous of what success? The X Factor has well and truly trounced Strictly in the ratings this year.
  • Options
    Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    Maybe XF has trounced SCD in the ratings, but there are still 8 or 9 million people who happily watch Strictly every week and this obviously annoys Simon. How dare anyone watch anything apart from XF?:eek: The guy has developed a God complex and wants everyone to do what he tells them, including the artists on his show and all the public.

Well I've got news for you Mr Cowell. I've never watched the XF and don't intend to start now. It's Strictly all the way for me.:D
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    samiskim wrote: »
    Apparently Simon Cowell has been reported saying no-one will watch the Strictly Semi-Final. He displayed a bad case of sour grapes last year when Strictly won Best Entertainment Show.

I have news for Simon - I will be watching Strictly on Saturday and then switch over and see the remainder of X Factor.

Message to Simon Cowell - I can't speak for the rest of Britain but I will watch Strictly - semi-final, final and Christmas Special - and if it clashes with X-Factor then my loyalties are with glitter balls and sequins. :D
    Why would he be jealous? Look at the viewing figures and press coverage for XF, much higher than SCD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Ive never been a big fan of the X-Factor or BGT. I stopped watching them in any meaningful way several years ago.

I dont think Simon is jealous of Strictly cos the X-Factor is really trousing them in the rating this year... for all the complaints about Strictly this year (and they are LEGION) I think the tide is showing signs of turning against Cowell a little. Dont get me wrong, I think his dominance will continue for many years to come but the first inklings of disquiet are starting this year.

For me Cowell's shows give the wrong message to the public. The idea that fame and success can be gained instantly, rather than the hard slog and practice that is in reality required. Clearly the X-Factor contestants DO practice for years but we dont see that labour on the show and it encourages a culture of instant gratification and reward.

I also dislike the tendancy for these new stars to be massively hyped, only to be dropped like hot cakes by Cowell the minute they fail to be a massive money spinner. as a big music fan, I resent what I interpret as Cowells fixation on his artists making money rather than producing good music (and some of those that emerge from these shows ARE talented). Added to that theres the very controlled way these artists are markets and the very bald, mainstream music that they eventually produce. Originality and creativity is not required in a Cowell protegy...:rolleyes:I find Cowell and his ilk very cynical.

For me Strictly is different in tone altogether and that is one of the reasons I prefer it. The contestants already have some talent or achievement in their past (Jo Wood excepted!):p THey are taught a NEW skill, we see their training every day on ITT, we see them develop and struggle in a way that is barely touched on in X-Factor. At the end of the show THEY GET A GLITTER BALL! Thats it, no bullshit about a big career as a dancer, or international celebrity off the back of it...

OK, yes, the contestants DO benefit their careers from Strictly, but at least they excelled at something (in most cases:p) BEFORE Strictly, and most return to their original careers with a higher profile and a new skill to boot.

You've pretty summed up my thoughts as well. I used to be a fan of X Factor but the arrogance, cynicism and vacuous nature of the show left me feeling cold, whereas strictly has more depth to it and has a nice, positive atmosphere around it. :)
    Agent F wrote: »
    Jealous of what success? The X Factor has well and truly trounced Strictly in the ratings this year.

True, but most people end up watching it purely because of the months and months of pointless hype that is in every form of media. When people get told things over and over again, they begin to believe it. Roll on December 14th when the number of times I hear the words 'X Factor' start to go down and down....but that won't last long because then we'll have months of the media foaming at the mouth about 'Britain's Got Talent' - There's no escape. :mad:
  • Options
    Lukey37Lukey37 Posts: 5,369
    Forum Member
    So he says he can't remember who won last year?

What about The X Factor winner from 2 years ago that has been erased from X Factor history?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

Precisely, X Factor ratings have slaughtered those of Strictly this year. From bits I've read recently, Simon is planning more changes to X-Factor next year, in an effort to retain and increase its audience.

His show has attracted major stars, whereas Strictly (apart from Amy Winehouse) has only managed to hire old has-beens.

Given that it was the BBC who were intent on pitting Strictly directly against X-Factor in the schedules, Simon has every reason to crow.

Even I, have been dipping into X-Factor this year and I'm no fan of Simon Cowell.

To me, Strictly just seems tired, old, boring and well past its sell by date, this year.
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

I totally agree with I have never watched X factor or BGT for that matter.

Bland wannabes do nothing for me and I included Cherryl Cole in that lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's interesting that he's chosen to put a comment out like that. In terms of ratings X Factor has easily beaten SCD this year, but he's obviously concerned about it.

I would have thought SCD would no longer be on his radar, but it seems not. I'm a bit surprised to be honest.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post Boddism!
  • Options
    jenda57jenda57 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have never watched anything that he's been in/on and never will. I'll be watching the semi's, the finals and the Christmas show - hopefully work will not get in the way!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trix71 wrote: »
    I must admit that i do get the feeling that i am the only one on earth that doesnt watch xf...

Strictly ftw!

You're not the only one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Never watched X factor and don't intend to start
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really like bad dancing much, but I CAN'T BEAR bad singing, particularly when there are a bunch of people trying to make out it's really good.

TXF is thus never going to be on my list of stuff to watch, and it never will.

I will totally be buying the RATM song in an effort to keep the TXF song off the top spot. What the hell, it's worth a punt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I don't really like bad dancing much, but I CAN'T BEAR bad singing, particularly when there are a bunch of people trying to make out it's really good.

TXF is thus never going to be on my list of stuff to watch, and it never will.

I will totally be buying the RATM song in an effort to keep the TXF song off the top spot. What the hell, it's worth a punt.

So will I. First thing on Monday morning straight from iTunes. :D:D