20th June for firmware update.

Automan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Automan wrote: »
    Samsung responded to my amazon review.

Automan

Thanks for letting us know, it these problems get fixed this will be the best Freesat PVR out there.

My box was supposed to be getting collected this morning at 10.30am but no one bothered to come and collect it. I've just tried to phone Samsung to cancel the pick up but got sick of getting passed from pillar to post so I just hung up eventually, probably cost me about a fiver just for that phone call.

I don't think I will be buying anymore Samsung products for a long long long time........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Samsung responded to my amazon review.

Automan

At least its in the right direction. A full list of fixes in this update would be nice though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very sad, the product has been on sale now nearly three months and it seems by next week it may actually be able to make a recording....

Not something to be very proud off :(

Automan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just posted on the Samsung UK Facebook page they say...
    We're thrilled to announce that Tech Radar have reviewed our SMT-S7800 PVR - and given it 4/5!

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-recorders/samsung-smt-s7800-958920/review

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but you cannot fool all the people all the time...

Automan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At Amazon website the unit has another 1 star review and owner took it back for a full refund.

However, at Samsung's website it now has two new glowing reviews....

Not sure if this link will work....

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/set-top-box/set-top-box/SMT-S7800/XEU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=reviews&reviewtype=consumer_reviews

Real reviews or done by their marketing guys?

EDIT:
    The first review mentions Picture in Picture. No such function exits.

Automan.
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is so easy for the Smarmy ones to write the truth and fool the gullible..eg QUOTE..
    "To date I have not seen issues with recording..".
    Truthfully means that he has not recorded anything yet anyway..
    It's a bit like.."This CD is selling like hotcakes" when a company has been set up quite legit to buy such CDs and store them in a warehouse..A Law had to be passed to stop Car companies overdoing the we've sold thousands..
    Makes Reviews all suspect.. even Tech Radar did not spot a huge Audio problem with this years Pannys ..my guess is that they never listen to the sound anyway as it's all so preordained with the Tiny TV speakers fitted.. Thankfully Panny rectified problems within weeks..

Stan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just spent 17 minutes on the phone to Samsung...

They say my units repair status is not cancelled but is under test and they will be in contact in a few days...

She was aware of the update for next week but did not mention it till I prompted her...

Thunderquaker,
    Did they collect your box in the end?

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Just spent 17 minutes on the phone to Samsung...

They say my units repair status is not cancelled but is under test and they will be in contact in a few days...

She was aware of the update for next week but did not mention it till I prompted her...

Thunderquaker,
    Did they collect your box in the end?

Automan.

No one has come to collect and no attempt has been made to contact me. Maybe they've realised it would be a waste of time to collect, you'd think they would at least let me know though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a call from the Samsung Warranty Repair Centre.

They say my box is under test and they are also awaiting some more information...

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    They say my box is under test and they are also awaiting....
    Automan.
    a satellite dish to be installed....?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had another call...

They cannot find anything wrong with it but a firmware update will be available by the end of the month.

Offer was to keep it till then and apply the update or send it back now.

I opted for them to send it back now.

Odd, if there is nothing wrong with it why does it need this firmware update?

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Just tried to speak with somebody from Samsung... after 40 minutes, mostly on hold, and after speaking with 5 different people, they gave me the service centre phone number. Absolutely appealed with their customer support. I was thinking to contact some of the websites that reviewed the SMT-S7800 to ask if they would like to review it properly this time... maybe then Samsung would listen. I don't know... I'm so angry I could smash something
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Dear all,

Samsung is aware that there are some recording problems with the SMT-S7800 and the R&D team is currently working on a software update that should resolve the issues. The new software is currently undergoing testing and we expect it to be available within the next two weeks. Once the new software is available, you will be able to download it from www.samsung.com and then update your set-top box via USB. We appreciate your patience while we aim to fix the problems and we’re very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,

Samsung Customer Service Team
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung Customer Service Team.
    Would it not be worth tidying up the FAQ's for this product on your support website and listing the current issues with your intentions to resolve them.

This would be a lot better than the denial of any problems that your Customer Services have had telling us that our boxes are physically faulty and need to go to a service centre.

I also trust you will learn that it is better to de-bug a product before you put it on sale rather than two to three months after it goes on sale.

Automan.
    Forum Member
    Samsung Customer Service Team.
    Would it not be worth tidying up the FAQ's for this product on your support website and listing the current issues with your intentions to resolve them.

This would be a lot better than the denial of any problems that your Customer Services have had telling us that our boxes are physically faulty and need to go to a service centre.

I also trust you will learn that it is better to de-bug a product before you put it on sale rather than two to three months after it goes on sale.

Automan.

I definitely agree...
  • Z3manZ3man Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Dear all,

Samsung is aware that there are some recording problems with the SMT-S7800 and the R&D team is currently working on a software update that should resolve the issues. The new software is currently undergoing testing and we expect it to be available within the next two weeks. Once the new software is available, you will be able to download it from www.samsung.com and then update your set-top box via USB. We appreciate your patience while we aim to fix the problems and we’re very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,

Samsung Customer Service Team

just by being honest and open and making posts like this one will gain you a lot more respect from your customers, burying your head in the sand and messing customers about only makes people annoyed. even if you are struggling to solve the problems, as long as you be honest and open and keep customers informed they will probably not mind waiting and be a lot more forgiving.

now go do as automan says and update you website and stop messing people about by sending their boxes away for no reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No updated information on the Samsung support website :(

No news on the return of my box from the Samsung Warranty Repair Centre :(

Automan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Z3man wrote: »
    just by being honest and open and making posts like this one will gain you a lot more respect from your customers, burying your head in the sand and messing customers about only makes people annoyed. even if you are struggling to solve the problems, as long as you be honest and open and keep customers informed they will probably not mind waiting and be a lot more forgiving.

now go do as automan says and update you website and stop messing people about by sending their boxes away for no reason.

I agree with Z3man. Honesty is the best policy. I have not yet decided whether to wait for the Samsung to be fixed or to get the Humax. I would rather wait for the Samsung (mainly because of the preview window in the EPG) but if Samsung dont tell people what is happening then I will have to go for a box that works. I cant sit around waiting for what could be forever.
    At least with the news of the update on Monday it gives me some hope the work is being done and that it may well be worth waiting for.

People like to know whats going on. Even if its just admitting that problems have been found.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigash wrote: »
    At least with the news of the update on Monday it gives me some hope the work is being done and that it may well be worth waiting for.

I don't think it is to be Monday any more :(
    we expect it to be available within the next two weeks

Automan.
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is to be Monday any more :(

Automan.

Oh. Lol! Cant say I am surprised...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Samsung have updated the user manual which now explains what the low power option does in the setup menu.

It puts the box into standby if no buttons pressed for three hours.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201106/20110617165048190/GL68-00414A_Ed.01__SMT-S7800_UG_Freesat_110609_CMS.pdf

Automan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I would check to see if Samsung had tidied up the FAQ's on this product.

Sorting them by newest first the answer is still no and it still has the ones that related to problems the last upgrade fixed which was over 60 days ago now!

I hope Samsung as a gesture of good will give all owners of this box a free upgrade of a two year warranty.

Automan.
    Forum Member
    Samsung... good will :mad:. I wouldn't bet on that.
    I need to take a diazepam pill before I make some courage to call them next time. Is been a week since they said they will call me back with more info about why my box was sent back as fixed when it wasn't... Absolutely atrocious customer service and I would never touch anything Samsung ever again.
    I really hope that SamsungCustServ guy still reads this post and provide some feedback to / from Samsung.

Was that update supposed to be released today ?
    Forum Member
    well only 9 days left for samsung to keep their word about the update being in June.

I noticed also that the price has dropped considerably.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S5ZUJ4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d25_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=1AQDXSR3N931CWGB2HW6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128453&pf_rd_i=468294