Noisy children in summer

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I think the reason a lot of kids scream and shout (mine do this as well although I do try and not inflict them on the neighbours by telling them to calm down) is down to the shite that is on kids TV. Apart from stuff for younger ones, most of it is "CRASH BOOM RAAARGGGH" type cartoony stuff that can be accessed 24 hours a day.

When I was a child, despite only getting a 2 hour window for kids programming, it was a lot more serene and sedate. Jackanory, Trumpton, Camberwick Green, Play Away, Take Hart...not a loud noise to be heard anywhere.

Jackanory could be anarchic. Rik Mayall was possibly the most noisy when reading "George's Marvellous Medicine".

"Play Away" was noisy. There was a lot of singing and jumping about.

"Take Hart" had a very noisy Morph and Chas. Chas was the noisiest.

"Trumpton" and "Camberwick Green" well that a noisy windmill and of course a loud whistle to call those firemen.

"Windy Miller" also got drunk which was very strong cider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how I sympathise with you. We have very similar problems, except we're bothered by an entire street full of noisy brats that often wake us up at 7.30am and frequently don't give up until 10.30pm. All I hear is screaming kids and thumping footballs outside my property all day (in what was once a quiet, middle class street). It's got to the stage now where I actually look forward to the dark nights or heavy rain, as it's the only time we get peace. And don't anyone suggest speaking to the parents as the "fathers" are often out there with them, booting the ball harder! My elderly father lives with us and he's frequently said that he doesn't feel safe when they're kicking a ball outside his home. When we were that age (mostly 8-10 yr old boys here), we knew damn well to keep away from any houses where the elderly lived. There's no respect these days.
    Don't these kids have a garden or a local park to use? That's where my brother and I used the play, we would not be allowed in the street at all.
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Don't these kids have a garden or a local park to use? That's where my brother and I used the play, we would not be allowed in the street at all.

Parents are far too lazy to take them out these days. They don't even bother to watch them or care that they are being a nuisance.

Gardens in my road are north facing on the "chavvy" side. So rather cold.

I am lucky to have a south facing garden.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    More a case of neglect then;

1) children of that age should not be playing unsupervised, 2 years old is still so tiny you cannot expect them to check themselves.
    2) a 2 year old should not still be awake at bloody 10pm!!!:mad:
    no wonder they are tired and mardy
    Forum Member
    Is this in the UK op?

If so then as much as I hate screaming kids , the society is becoming more and more child intolerant, In my day children played outside for hours, children are more cooped up , unstimulated, unsupervised and yet are expected to be forever silent and well behaved like we are reverting back to the victorian times madness...

And I know some people are thinking 'wtf? pubs etc are much more child friendly' in a sense thats the problem, back in my nan's,mam's day there was an understanding small children needed different things and weren't neccesarily suited to adults who wanted to sit in silence for long periods of time or indeed be cooped up and not get frustrated.
    Forum Member
    Ghespetti wrote: »
    Is this in the UK op?

If so then as much as I hate screaming kids , the society is becoming more and more child intolerant, In my day children played outside for hours, children are more cooped up , unstimulated, unsupervised and yet are expected to be forever silent and well behaved like we are reverting back to the victorian times madness...

And I know some people are thinking 'wtf? pubs etc are much more child friendly' in a sense thats the problem, back in my nan's,mam's day there was an understanding small children needed different things and weren't neccesarily suited to adults who wanted to sit in silence for long periods of time or indeed be cooped up and not get frustrated.

Well you can't watch the television or relax in your garden for the noise in my road.

We had go carts and the girls had skipping ropes. They don't appear to play the games we used to with the rhymes and poetry. All they do in my road is run up and down the road, scream! and hide under cars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Community spirit seems to have died. In the past, you knew your neighbours. Therefore you knew most of the kids that would be playing near your house. Adults wouldn't think twice about telling kids off.

These days, I feel, kids grow up getting away with more as more and more people keep quiet and suffer in silence. They are either afraid that complaining will make things worse or that if they go around to the parents that the parents won't give a monkeys either.

My parents would tell me off if I got too rowdy near neighbours. They had community spirit and considered that we all have neighbours so we should respect them as we would want them to respect ourselves.

When I look out the window now. I see parents joining in, with little regard for anyone but themselves.

For example, opposite us the parents of a particular child quite often see him punting a football into people's gardens (the gardens are tiny so the ball is in someone else's garden every 5 minutes). If that were me I'd be telling my kid off (actually if it were me I'd tell my kids to go play in the park 3 minutes away as I realise playing on a 10ft bit of land right in front of people's living rooms is a dumb idea.)

The kids don't realise what they are doing and won't until its pointed out to them. Ideally from their parents.

I sometimes wonder what they would say to me if I was in their front garden everything 5 minutes peering into their living room. They'd probably call the Police. But if you're a kid, its okay, 'cos you're just playing.
    Forum Member
    Well you can't watch the television or relax in your garden for the noise in my road.

We had go carts and the girls had skipping ropes. They don't appear to play the games we used to with the rhymes and poetry. All they do in my road is run up and down the road, scream! and hide under cars.

Hmm, :( again more a case of neglect probably,hidiny under cars is very dangerous , when I was a kid we had bikes, pokemon football etc
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sound of kids playing laughing and having fun is lovely, the sound of kids screaming screeching and shouting with a bang bang football against your fence is a nightmare. I have lived with both and really do feel it's a parents responsibility to teach their kids right from wrong and good manners. Everyone is entitled to enjoy their own space and the poster who said they should move if they don't like the noise IS in my opinion an irresponsible selfish parent. Take YOUR kids to the park.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, you could shut all of your windows and doors and turn your television up so you could hear it.

Then you'd probably get the parents pounding on your door complaining, even threatening to hit you, it you didn't turn down your noisy television. :D

Besides, the parents can't take their children to the local park as it's full of paedophiles and ferocious, out of control dogs.
    Forum Member
    Can we have less 'parents today are far too lazy to discipline,teach,nuture probably hoping an app for that will be availible soon' sweeping statement,

When I was child parents would allow small children to go out and play completely unsupervised to essentially get shot of them under their feet, for hours, not much better and there was as many ineffectual parents then as their are now.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...the society is becoming more and more child intolerant,
    However, it might be argued that at least some children are becoming intolerable.

I live in France. Kids are out and about all the time and at village meals (adults are seated from 8pm - 2pm or later) run around the tables playing. These kids are from 2 upwards. The older children keep an eye on and play nicely with the younger children. Too much noise or what might be perceived as general misbehaviour and they get a clip round the ear from parents or extended family members.
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    However, it might be argued that at least some children are becoming intolerable.

I live in France. Kids are out and about all the time and at village meals (adults are seated from 8pm - 2pm or later) run around the tables playing. These kids are from 2 upwards. The older children keep an eye on and play nicely with the younger children. Too much noise or what might be perceived as general misbehaviour and they get a clip round the ear from parents or extended family members.

I call that taking liberties with other peoples kids, fair enough go and tell the parent to deal with the child, I was a superbly behaved child, grew up in a rough area, had anyone hit me my mother would have relived them of their hands.
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Of course, you could shut all of your windows and doors and turn your television up so you could hear it.

Then you'd probably get the parents pounding on your door complaining, even threatening to hit you, it you didn't turn down your noisy television. :D

Besides, the parents can't take their children to the local park as it's full of paedophiles and ferocious, out of control dogs.

The parks near me are mostly gated and fenced off. The open plan park is watched by CCTV and a team of more than 3 workmen.
    Forum Member
    I used to play on a green in the middle of the street, never broke a window or anything, If a ball went in any ones garden we were told to knock and ask if we can have our ball back please, and we always did. no need for drama.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason a lot of kids scream and shout (mine do this as well although I do try and not inflict them on the neighbours by telling them to calm down) is down to the shite that is on kids TV. Apart from stuff for younger ones, most of it is "CRASH BOOM RAAARGGGH" type cartoony stuff that can be accessed 24 hours a day.

When I was a child, despite only getting a 2 hour window for kids programming, it was a lot more serene and sedate. Jackanory, Trumpton, Camberwick Green, Play Away, Take Hart...not a loud noise to be heard anywhere.

My kids grew up in the Tizwas and gunging era and I could still calm them down or bring them in to play quieter games.

My grandkids dont get to watch a lot of TV but I bet if my kids didnt ask them to keep noise down then they would get more and more hyper with the games they play :D

I think its not so much that kids havnt always done this its more the fact that a lot of parents think its ok for kids to scream and never bother to ask them to keep the noise down.
    These days seem to be more every man for himself and not giving others a thought.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The parks near me are mostly gated and fenced off. The open plan park is watched by CCTV and a team of more than 3 workmen.

That last line wasn't necessarily true. ;)
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to play on a green in the middle of the street, never broke a window or anything, If a ball went in any ones garden we were told to knock and ask if we can have our ball back please, and we always did. no need for drama.

Us too .So glad we didn't have this load of miserable sods answering the door .I've come to the conclusion that Digital Spy really is the most miserable forum on the internet .They have to be moaning about something ,or wanting it banned .
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh how I sympathise with you. We have very similar problems, except we're bothered by an entire street full of noisy brats that often wake us up at 7.30am and frequently don't give up until 10.30pm. All I hear is screaming kids and thumping footballs outside my property all day (in what was once a quiet, middle class street). It's got to the stage now where I actually look forward to the dark nights or heavy rain, as it's the only time we get peace. And don't anyone suggest speaking to the parents as the "fathers" are often out there with them, booting the ball harder! My elderly father lives with us and he's frequently said that he doesn't feel safe when they're kicking a ball outside his home. When we were that age (mostly 8-10 yr old boys here), we knew damn well to keep away from any houses where the elderly lived. There's no respect these days.
    Bloody noisy kids playing outside and having fun.. Why can't they stay in their bedrooms playing computer games like proper kids. Bah Humbug.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow feel your pain. Use to live in a terrace house in south London and had constant kid/adult noise from next door. I use to dread summer, on warm evening I would try to ensure I worked late so that I got home after dark but at weekends no escaping, washing would be put on the line about 6.30am and the kid noise would then start.

One evening I got home late and the kids were out playing with torches, this tipped me over the edge, I felt I had no escape and I had a partial breakdown. The rest is now history and I now live in a much quieter enviroment although even now I get a feeling of anxiety when I hear kids screaming.

A lot on this thread have missed the point the OP is making, it is the CONSTANT noise that gets to you.

This is absolutely it. It's perfectly reasonable for any household to be OCCASIONALLY noisy. The real stress of proper nightmare neighbours is knowing that it isn't going to let up, that it will be just the same the next day, and the next, and the next... you can never relax, you can't enjoy your own home, and it takes a real toll on your mental health.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I Try to live and let live but there are times when I have had to tell the Kids on our estate off. Unfortunately the parents think their children can do no wrong sometimes. I told one of the Kids off for cycling right behind a reversing car and 5 minutes later I had his Dad around threatening me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I Try to live and let live but there are times when I have had to tell the Kids on our estate off. Unfortunately the parents think their children can do no wrong sometimes. I told one of the Kids off for cycling right behind a reversing car and 5 minutes later I had his Dad around threatening me.

My mum told a neighbourhood kid off for throwing stones at her cat. The kid's mum came out and said "he was only playing", because apparently it's valid entertainment to hurt animals.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What i've noticed with the local kids is when they get a bit tired they start to get more noisy so while they are running/cycling around and burning off the energy generally they're quiet but once they start to sit down they get shouty until they have a bit of an argument then all head off home
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    When I was a child (30-something years ago), we stayed in the garden until we were 5 and then we played in the back alleys. If we were too loud we were told to keep it down. However I do remember a neighbour once shouting at me to go home because he'd been on night shift and was trying to sleep; I was upset enough to still remember it now particularly as we were actually playing a quiet game!

People do need to remember though that children do scream and squeal when they get carried away, and they need to learn when to keep it down. They can also be prone to tantrums when very young as they learn how to cope with their emotions. Kids are not perfect. What I find annoying is parents who then do not intervene but ignore their child's behaviour. It lets everyone down; the child and those who have to listen to it.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children when I was young and the children I parented did the same, were told if we screamed when we played no one would know when we needed help so play quietly or like the boy who cried wolf we could be in danger.

Didn't mean we always were good and playing quietly but did mean when we were told off we listened and behaved as not to behave meant bed with no dinner/supper no matter what time of day we had disobeyed.

Some summers I think I spent more time in bed than out LOL but we all learned to play quietly.