The Newsroom - Season Two - (UK Pace)

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^ We know why she did cut her hair, but I don't think we know when. I would have thought she'da done it right after returning to America, but we've seen that wasn't the case.

she does do it after returning home doesnt she? they showed it this week?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Actually if you've seen this week's episode you'll know why she cut her hair.
    It was because the little orphan who was shot in the spine seemed fascinated by her blonde hair.
    The orphanage manager/teacher said to him "That hair colour is called blonde, and it is nothing but trouble."
    I guess we were supposed to work out that her hair reminded her of the dead orphan, so she decided to hack it off.

True, but the my comment you quoted was wriitten before this weeks episode, so at the time of posting we didn't know. :)

Really enjoing season 2, maybe the best drama i'm watching at the moment.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    she does do it after returning home doesnt she? they showed it this week?
    we see her walking into the room where Jeff is being interviewed by that lady lawyer and she's got the short cut there, but we've also seen her back from Africa, working at the studio, with long hair, so it is not as simple as (1) Africa (2) cut hair (3) returns to work. Maybe thing'll become clearer as the season progresses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we see her walking into the room where Jeff is being interviewed by that lady lawyer and she's got the short cut there, but we've also seen her back from Africa, working at the studio, with long hair, so it is not as simple as (1) Africa (2) cut hair (3) returns to work. Maybe thing'll become clearer as the season progresses.

The lawey interview is the latest event (in the series' timeline). All the studio and other stories etc are set before she went to Africa. There's a lot of jumping around but everything is a flashback from the interview.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the timeline was made pretty clear at the end of the episode:

Uganda --> Returns home (where Jim finds her sitting on the floor) --> Cuts off hair (we see her do this) --> about 12 months later, Rebecca deposes her.

We established in episode 1 that the depositions are taking place around October 2012, and the timeline for Uganda indicates that this took place at the very end of September/beginnng of October 2011. (I forget the exact point in this week's episode, but didn't we get a chyron indicating that it was September 30th, 2011 in the non-lawyery timeline?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^looks like I totally missed the bits that woulda cleared up the timeline business, am off to rewatch this seasons eps. :)
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In episode 1 we saw Will talking to the lawyer about Genoa. They began with something like "14 months ago..." then the flashbacks started.
    My understanding is that the lawyer stuff is taking place late 2012 (October time) and all the flashbacks are working up from around August 2011 in the run up to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and the republican primaries. The lawyer is mostly interested in Genoa, which is why we hear so much about this story but the other weekly stories are there also for background to the case I suppose.
    Seems like there was an interview with some General (American, Pakistani, Afghani?) and the facts are disputed about what he said. I assume the dispute is between Maggie and Jerry as these are the names that have been mentioned by the lawyer. I assume Jerry needs the General to back up his story (Genoa) but Maggie heard / saw something that disproves Jerry's big scoop. He is trying to discredit her to keep his story alive.

Have I missed anything or read too much into anything? I hope that by the season finale we will know what is going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what threw me was incorrectly thinking ALL this Genoa stuff happened AFTER Maggie returned from Africa - maybe when the season is over some kind person will bring out a fan edit which puts everything in the correct order and no flashbacking. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    In episode 1 we saw Will talking to the lawyer about Genoa. They began with something like "14 months ago..." then the flashbacks started.
    My understanding is that the lawyer stuff is taking place late 2012 (October time) and all the flashbacks are working up from around August 2011 in the run up to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and the republican primaries. The lawyer is mostly interested in Genoa, which is why we hear so much about this story but the other weekly stories are there also for background to the case I suppose.
    Seems like there was an interview with some General (American, Pakistani, Afghani?) and the facts are disputed about what he said. I assume the dispute is between Maggie and Jerry as these are the names that have been mentioned by the lawyer. I assume Jerry needs the General to back up his story (Genoa) but Maggie heard / saw something that disproves Jerry's big scoop. He is trying to discredit her to keep his story alive.

Have I missed anything or read too much into anything? I hope that by the season finale we will know what is going on.
    You've pretty much got it.

The main timeline of the series starts in August 2011 and works its way forward as the season progresses.

As Maggie returns from Uganda at the end of the most recent episode, we are some time in early October 2011.

The interview Jerry and Maggie conduct with the general takes place in March 2012 (from memory, but certainly quite some time after Uganda).

The depositions with the lawyers are October 2012, give or take a week or two.

Given that the final two episodes are titled Election Night, I think it's safe to say that the two timelines will come together and wrap up the season on, well, US election night, which was November 6th 2012.

Hope that helps. I may be marginally out with one or two of my dates, but the order and general spacing of the events should be about right,

EDIT: Oh, and it's not so much that Jerry is trying to keep his story alive. From what we've seen and heard already we know it's a dead duck. But what he is doing is bringing a wrongful termination suit against AWM, and part of his case is that Maggie was in no fit mental state to dispute whether the general confirmed Genoa happened as she was still supposedly reeling from the drugs she had been prescribed after her Ugandan trauma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Maggie returns from Uganda at the end of the most recent episode, we are some time in early October 2011.

The interview Jerry and Maggie conduct with the general takes place in March 2012 (from memory, but certainly quite some time after Uganda).

Wait, so Maggie returned from Uganda October 2011 and still had long hair in March 2012. I thought her hair cutting was an immediate reaction to what happened, rather than something she did 6 months later. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, so Maggie returned from Uganda October 2011 and still had long hair in March 2012. I thought her hair cutting was an immediate reaction to what happened, rather than something she did 6 months later. :confused:
    What makes you think that? We have not seen any events from March 2012 - it has only been mentioned in dialogue (the general's interview).

We see her cutting off her hair in the October 2011 timeline - after Jim returns having been pulled off the Romney campaign. I'm assuming we'll see the full effect of the new haircut in next week's episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, tonight's episode confused things somewhat, didn't it?

So Maggie cut her hair in the aftermath of Uganda, and when we rejoin events about 5.5 months later she has grown it back again. So I guess we are to assume now that there is some future trauma still to come which results in the hack-job and red dye we see in the October/November 2012 timeline. How odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so 'News Night with Will McAvoy' was about as close to a day-in-the-life episode as the show will ever get, taking place essentially in real time.

Was it just me or was some of the characters' behaviour a bit off? Charlie in a bow-tie? Sloan posing for nude photos? Maggie being argumentative and insubordinate - oh, hang on, that's normal for her.

This was quite an intimate character episode, I thought, maybe a bit lacking in urgency at times, but I did like the way the various real news stories were woven in without anyone getting too preachy about it.

Loved the little Top Gun reference! And BTW, does anyone know what Mac was quoting in the make-up room with Jesse? It was something about having moxie and getting a ham sandwich, but the reference went way over my head.

My weekly round-up:
    http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/10/01/the-newsroom-s2-ep5-news-night-with-will-mcavoy/
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite enjoyed this episode as it showed quite possibly what might go on at somewhere like Sky during ad breaks! :D

Although I do wonder how something like all of the discussions with Will would be done on say the BBC, which doesn't do advert breaks.

Plus I liked the cutting down of the 911 call (or 999 over here), as it reminded me of when I was at Uni and the times that I spent doing similar things! (and not always getting it right either!)
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know what Mac was quoting in the make-up room with Jesse? It was something about having moxie and getting a ham sandwich, but the reference went way over my head.

If it was a direct reference then it went over my head also, I assumed it was her doing an old fashioned 1930s imitation / characterture rather than a direct quote.
    Although I do wonder how something like all of the discussions with Will would be done on say the BBC, which doesn't no advert breaks.

They do have short films, reports from foreign corespondances etc, which could run for a few minutes. I guess that would allow them to chat briefly.

I really liked this episode. Sorkin has always done emotional stuff quite well. Will's dad dies and Jeff Daniels conveyed such sadness with a look and a pause. No angsty self indulgence.

As for the Maggie hair cut, well I guess it didn't happen in the aftermath of Africa. I assume it has something to do with the Genoa interview with some General or the confrontation with Jerry over this interview.
    They aren't doing much to make her character likable are they? It's almost like they're prepping Maggie to be killed off. Now she's a drunken obnoxious beatch along with all the other stuff from last season.
    I guess if Jerry turns out to be worse and we hate him more than her she might find some redemption there as we end up on her side of the argument.
  • Mel GMel G Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    Well, tonight's episode confused things somewhat, didn't it?

So Maggie cut her hair in the aftermath of Uganda, and when we rejoin events about 5.5 months later she has grown it back again. So I guess we are to assume now that there is some future trauma still to come which results in the hack-job and red dye we see in the October/November 2012 timeline. How odd.

Will may have spent his commercial breaks phoning hospitals and worrying about tweets - we spent ours trying to fathom out Maggie's hair re-growth! Unless she has world record breaking fast growing hair there is no way she could have grown her hair back to her previous long blonde locks in just 5 and a half months. Maggie's follicles aside, I really enjoyed the episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel G wrote: »
    Will may have spent his commercial breaks phoning hospitals and worrying about tweets - we spent ours trying to fathom out Maggie's hair re-growth! Unless she has world record breaking fast growing hair there is no way she could have grown her hair back to her previous long blonde locks in just 5 and a half months. Maggie's follicles aside, I really enjoyed the episode.
    That's a fair point - it does seem implausibly fast! Maybe she's been taking some magical follicle-enhancing drugs instead of her SSRIs.

Given the events of last week's episode, though, surely where we saw her cutting her hair and flashing back to memories of the dead kid *must* have been just after she returned from Africa. For this to have occurred after the events of last night's episode makes no sense at all, not least because it makes a mess of the whole chronology of events, which has been pretty clear up to now: 2011/12 main timeline or Oct 2012 deposition timeline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd be kinda funny if they all did Comicon and all people were interested in was them clearing up the "so when exactly DID Maggie cut her" mystery, that and exclaiming how awesome Sloan is :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be kinda funny if they all did Comicon and all people were interested in was them clearing up the "so when exactly DID Maggie cut her" mystery, that and exclaiming how awesome Sloan is :)
    What, you think anything could possibly be any more important than either of these? ;-)

The Maggie hair thing is interesting, if only because it is effectively a barometer for her mental state. Having watched her cut her hair (but not dye it) last week, I'd assumed that Uganda was the big trauma. But the fact that she's gone back to her original hair suggests there's an equally big trauma still to come for her.

Personally, I'm a bit bored with Maggie as a character as there's so little about her to sympathise with. I doubt she would get away with behaving the way she does towards Jim - that's her *boss*, Jim - in the real world, even accepting that a newsroom is a particularly stressful environment to operate in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, you think anything could possibly be any more important than either of these? ;-)
    ^if there is, I know not it. :)

What I think is "funny" is how me thinking less of Maggie almost exactly mirrors me thinking more of Dom. Last season, early on, he deserved punching :mad:, or at least a swift poke in the ribs, but now :)
  • Mel GMel G Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    I feel the same - last series Don wasn't likeable at all, yet now he's not only engaging (his scenes with Sloan are fab), he's also the go-to guy for a slapstick scene (the collapsing chair). Complete change, yet instead of it jarring, I've gone along for the ride quite happily.
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have to say i am struggling with keeping up with the series and timeline, with everything being in flashback. I'm finding it very hard to follow :(
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And BTW, does anyone know what Mac was quoting in the make-up room with Jesse? It was something about having moxie and getting a ham sandwich, but the reference went way over my head.

My weekly round-up:
    http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/10/01/the-newsroom-s2-ep5-news-night-with-will-mcavoy/

I was discussing this in a bar tonight with my brother and some of his friends.
    One of the guys, (surprisingly a lot younger than me or my brother), said that he thinks it may have come from a Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn movie, "Woman of the Year."
    The movie came out in the early 40s.
    The two stars worked as reporters for the same newspaper, and he thinks that somewhere in the dialogue,
    Tracy said to Hepburn, "That's our lead, you've got moxie kid, kill the other lead, and get me a ham sandwich."
    Whether or not the quote was from that movie I do not know, but the guy remembered one "funny" thing from it, considering that it was allegedly made when the war was on.
    Tracy tells Hepburn that the paper sends two reporters to cover big baseball games.
    "Two?", she says, "but we only have one man in Vichy!"
    "Vichy, are they still in the league?", came the reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^if there is, I know not it. :)

What I think is "funny" is how me thinking less of Maggie almost exactly mirrors me thinking more of Dom. Last season, early on, he deserved punching :mad:, or at least a swift poke in the ribs, but now :)
    It took me about half of season to swing around, but I really like Don. Him on the plane in the Bin Laden episode 5/1 was what clinched it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I was discussing this in a bar tonight with my brother and some of his friends.
    One of the guys, (surprisingly a lot younger than me or my brother), said that he thinks it may have come from a Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn movie, "Woman of the Year."
    The movie came out in the early 40s.
    The two stars worked as reporters for the same newspaper, and he thinks that somewhere in the dialogue,
    Tracy said to Hepburn, "That's our lead, you've got moxie kid, kill the other lead, and get me a ham sandwich."
    Whether or not the quote was from that movie I do not know, but the guy remembered one "funny" thing from it, considering that it was allegedly made when the war was on.
    Tracy tells Hepburn that the paper sends two reporters to cover big baseball games.
    "Two?", she says, "but we only have one man in Vichy!"
    "Vichy, are they still in the league?", came the reply.
    Thanks! I'd seen WotY referenced in an article, but after a quick Google I hadn't managed to marry it to the exact quote. Fail, me!