Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Oh I think FIFA are rotten to the core but it does my nut in hearing the same points being made year after year.
    English FA coin in millions from the World Cup so if they are really that bothered then get the hell out of it.

I see your point fully about hearing the same things about FIFA and regarding our own FA I'd sack the entire lot of them tomorrow.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if TS are going to have commentary on the Tyson Fury fight? Am looking forward to this bout I had it in the back of my brain that TS were going to cover the fight that got delayed but that could well be me making stuff up
    I don't think there's been an announcement yet - the rescheduled date for Fury v Chisora II is Saturday 29th November. Don't worry - you are remembering rightly that talkSPORT were planning to do commentary on the fight when it was originally scheduled for late July.

That talkSPORT had the rights to the fight during the summer should mean they still have the ability to pick up commentary on it next month, yet it's possible a full schedule of Saturday football may dissuade them from doing so. That night, they will have a live 5.30pm Premier League commentary game in Sunderland v Chelsea - so it should be a normal Saturday schedule with Call Collymore following the live match until 9pm. But I'd guess bell time will be after 9pm, maybe at around 10pm, so live coverage of the fight could simply replace The Season Ticket. In fact, with Danny Kelly being very much into his boxing he wouldn't be a bad shout to anchor the coverage (I know Colin Murray was originally scheduled to host the fight before it was postponed).

Thought you might like to know that talkSPORT will be providing commentary on the Tyson Fury v Derek Chisora II fight, as well as the Billy Joe Saunders v Chris Eubank Jr bout on the undercard at the ExCel Arena in London.

Ian Darke, the BT Sport football commentator who for many years was the lead boxing commentator on Sky Sports, has confirmed that he'll be commentating for talkSPORT on Twitter:
    in short , no. But I am doing radio commentary for Talksport on a Fury v Chisora and Saunders v Eubank.

As I said to you at the time, with talkSPORT also doing commentary on Sunderland v Chelsea at 5.30pm that night, they'll probably slot coverage into the 9pm-midnight timeslot in place of The Season Ticket, although with coverage of a second fight scheduled it might be a tight squeeze to start at 9pm for the action and thus Call Collymore might have to be curtailed to allow some time for build-up prior to Saunders v Eubank Jr.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    Hey thanks ever so much for the update Mr D. Both should be entertaining for different reasons. Looking forward to listening
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    You are missing out on something significantly here Terry of course Newcastle are a big club I never said they were not in the real sense, what I was meaning was they are not these days a stella big club up there fighting for the very top honours every season. [that is a 'big' club in most peoples eyes] Granted they are having a fantastic run right now and I'd love to see them win something to dislodge the foreign owned usual five that's what I was meaning.

In my view [and I'm sure others will probably disagree and have their own opinion] Everton, Spurs, Aston Villa, Leeds, Sunderland, Wolves, Birmingham and Wednesday are big clubs but as like Newcastle seldom win owt.

Quinn scored goals for them in the second division, nearly took them up but they struggled with him too. He left before they became champions of Division One and then nearly won the Premier League. He was followed by Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer, not bad replacements eh? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was listening to the final part of Danny Kelly's show tonight with interest as he was discussing the Ched Evans Sheffield United affair it's big topic around these parts. The fans of the club are split down the middle over it, three club patrons have resigned from their roles at the club and now today Jessica Ennis-Hill the British track and field athlete has announced she wants her name off their stand if Evans returns. Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg who lives in Sheffield has already called for the club not to re-employ him, so has ex MP Richard Caborn [think he's now ex] and the leader of Sheffield City Council Julie Dore has released a statement saying much the same.

What in hell are that club playing at?, is it worth all this?, and this will only be the start.

Oh and while I think about it why is the world's biggest sports radio station not covering it more than the 2 minutes it got at the end of Kelly's show?. :(

Anyway after that on came Mr Goldstein, now I can't stand Mr Goldstein and usually switch off at the mention of his name but when he said Jimmy While was live on the show my ears pricked up so I left it on.

As much as I have always liked Jimmy I had to disagree with Mr Goldstein's comment which he repeated twice calling him the world's most naturally gifted snooker player ever, surely if only for world championship final results alone that title must go to Ronnie but anyway it's an unimportant factor because both are/were incredibly fantastic players.

Jimmy's on flogging a book [don't they all] he says being hooked on cocaine for 20 years definitely curtailed his successes, he was never under the influence anywhere near tournament times but said his match preparations must have been seriously harmed.

It kinda makes you wonder if he hadn't succumbed to drugs for all those years how much more he would have won, and maybe those six Crucible theatre world championship defeats wouldn't have all happened like it did.
    Forum Member
    What I don't understand about the Ched Evans situation is why the club did not make a decision on this a long time ago. When he got his five year sentence it was clear he would be out in two and a half years for that is how it works so the club had ample time to decide what hey would do.
    IMO and is pure speculation is that they want to sign him on some sort of contract then flog him abroad in January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand about the Ched Evans situation is why the club did not make a decision on this a long time ago. When he got his five year sentence it was clear he would be out in two and a half years for that is how it works so the club had ample time to decide what hey would do.
    IMO and is pure speculation is that they want to sign him on some sort of contract then flog him abroad in January.

You could be right, the chairman is owed around £40 million and he wants every penny back, I say is owed but it must be much less by now as he's been taking and not putting for the last few years, [i,e the £20 million from the Tevez affair, the sales of the two Kyles [Naughton & Walker] for around another £10 million and the sale of captain Harry Maguire to Hull City for a couple more million.

OR like I suspect they d e s p e r a t e l y need goals to fire them to promotion, the chairman won't spend another penny [his specific words] and they can get him back for free.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member

|I would assume the sheer fact he's still there now two and a half years later means the club have made their decision....They want him !!
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    You are missing out on something significantly here Terry of course Newcastle are a big club I never said they were not in the real sense, what I was meaning was they are not these days a stella big club up there fighting for the very top honours every season. [that is a 'big' club in most peoples eyes] Granted they are having a fantastic run right now and I'd love to see them win something to dislodge the foreign owned usual five that's what I was meaning.

In my view [and I'm sure others will probably disagree and have their own opinion] Everton, Spurs, Aston Villa, Leeds, Sunderland, Wolves, Birmingham and Wednesday are big clubs but as like Newcastle seldom win owt.

No a big club is based on both supporters and revenue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    No a big club is based on both supporters and revenue.

I can see clearly what you mean and in a sense I agree with you Garbage a "big club" is generally viewed as a club with a large stadium, a large fan base and a large income revenue but I'm at odds with myself now because having said all that my club has a large stadium, has a large fanbase potentially and a large income revenue again potentially but we're stuck in the second tier and certainly don't consider ourselves to be a big club any more apart from a few hundred idiots who still think we are.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see clearly what you mean and in a sense I agree with you Garbage a "big club" is generally viewed as a club with a large stadium, a large fan base and a large income revenue but I'm at odds with myself now because having said all that my club has a large stadium, has a large fanbase potentially and a large income revenue again potentially but we're stuck in the second tier and certainly don't consider ourselves to be a big club any more apart from a few hundred idiots who still think we are.

A big club is the team we support, end of really. It's similar to asking someone at what age do you become old? The answer is usually ten years older than me. Some things are just not negotiable, doesn't mean they are correct, just non-negotiable:D
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can see what you're saying and I think everyone has a different definition of a "big" club. I've had this conversation with my dad on occasions basically saying my definition of a "big" club is one that's competed for the title and to a lesser extent qualified for the Champions League in my lifetime. So for me, as I'm 28, "big" clubs are Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Blackburn, Leeds etc.. For my dad however; he'd add Villa, Forest, Wolves, Derby etc. Sides I've never seen have any kind of success in my life. As I said it's a generational definition and one I use, rightly or wrongly.
    Forum Member
    This is always a tricky one for emotion lies at the heart of every fan.
    I am a Celtic supporter and I believe that Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in Europe yet if we are talking revenue then we come nowhere.
    A big club IMO is known all over the world and from my limited experience of SE Asia Celtic are known in Thailand due mainly for charity work and not so much football.
    The best known team in SE Asia by a mile is Manchester United then Liverpool followed by Barcelona and Real Madrid. Last few years Chelsea and Arsenal are being noticed but are miles behind in following. Rest of the PL are just there for the big boys to beat.
    Not sure that any of this adds anything but for me as long as my club is bigger than it's major rivals then that is good enough for me.
  • swfcforeverswfcforever Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    You could be right, the chairman is owed around £40 million and he wants every penny back, I say is owed but it must be much less by now as he's been taking and not putting for the last few years, [i,e the £20 million from the Tevez affair, the sales of the two Kyles [Naughton & Walker] for around another £10 million and the sale of captain Harry Maguire to Hull City for a couple more million.

OR like I suspect they d e s p e r a t e l y need goals to fire them to promotion, the chairman won't spend another penny [his specific words] and they can get him back for free.

I agree. Its is a big thing around here and it should be talked about on the "World's Biggest Sports Station" :confused:. If it was a Premier League Club it would be allover the Station.
    Im thinking that they want to Sign him on a Free, so he will fire them to promotion. It seems alot of United fans are saying that, but he's not match fit. If they do re-sign him, they would be best sending him abroad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Two Mikes on with H&J at Cheltenham today
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    The Two Mikes on with H&J at Cheltenham today

Parry will be pished and leering at women by the time they get on air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Its is a big thing around here and it should be talked about on the "World's Biggest Sports Station" :confused:. If it was a Premier League Club it would be allover the Station.
    Im thinking that they want to Sign him on a Free, so he will fire them to promotion. It seems alot of United fans are saying that, but he's not match fit. If they do re-sign him, they would be best sending him abroad

That is so right, if Evans was playing for one of the top end Premier League clubs it'd be being shoved down listeners throats until they were sick of it. It's a disgrace that they call themselves talkSPORT and it's a disgrace they shun the three leagues below the Prem and for that matter Scottish clubs too, ok I and probably most of England based listeners aren't bothered but I bet the Jocks up over the border would love some coverage.

I think the lackadaisical short minded thinking board at Sheffield United may finally be starting to understand the hornets nest they've started with Evans, in my view they said nowt for 30 months while he was behind bars hoping it would all die down and they could just ease him back without a fuss.

Big mistake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is always a tricky one for emotion lies at the heart of every fan.
    I am a Celtic supporter and I believe that Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in Europe yet if we are talking revenue then we come nowhere.
    A big club IMO is known all over the world and from my limited experience of SE Asia Celtic are known in Thailand due mainly for charity work and not so much football.
    The best known team in SE Asia by a mile is Manchester United then Liverpool followed by Barcelona and Real Madrid. Last few years Chelsea and Arsenal are being noticed but are miles behind in following. Rest of the PL are just there for the big boys to beat.
    Not sure that any of this adds anything but for me as long as my club is bigger than it's major rivals then that is good enough for me.

I think I may have let MY emptions run away in the original post because I believe I said we were a big club, well on reflection and now in the cold light of day without any booze inside I would honestly say we aren't. :p We HAVE been what you could call a big club but that was a 1000 years back. :(

Maybe I should have said a big club is simply only those with a large stadium, a large fanbase, a large income revenue AND a large trophy room full of prizes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always rely on the Brazil show to get a good unintentional laff, usually it's via Boozio but today thick Mick took a turn dissing a big upcoming fight that he had forgotten is to be broadcast live on talkSPORT. :D:D

http://bit.ly/11nFuid
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Durham says that to be an England great you have to win a trophy.

So England have 11 greats and none in the last 48 years.

Although, as we know, Durham will change his mind in the next week as always. Oh, he's added Lineker because he won the Golden Boot, though that isn't really a trophy, is it?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »

Although, as we know, Durham will change his mind in the next week as always. Oh, he's added Lineker because he won the Golden Boot, though that isn't really a trophy, is it?

Indeed George Cohen an England great, but not Stanley Matthews or Tom Finney, I turned off as soon as he said it.
  • blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else hear the interview last night with(mainly) Andy Goldstein and Cundy?

Absolutely entralling to listen to,the stories the great man told and the way he tells them,You didn't want to miss any despite the pathetic adverts breaking it up.

With AG's knowledge of snooker too it made it a fantastic listen,one of the best interviews i've ever heard on there,if not the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always rely on the Brazil show to get a good unintentional laff, usually it's via Boozio but today thick Mick took a turn dissing a big upcoming fight that he had forgotten is to be broadcast live on talkSPORT. :D:D

http://bit.ly/11nFuid

LMAO I'm not one to normally sing Alans praises (as I never listen to his show) but that "Live on Talksport" was timed to perfection :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »

A trophy is maybe going too far but you have to base "greatness" on some kind of achievement within the international team surely, even if its just making it to a semi-final.
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a working man in the week (unpaid of course;-)) but the weekend is all about pleasure and I like no better than to pleasure myself and others with a loud burst of TalkSport on full volume out of my speakers and kicking back with an ice cold Polish lager or two.

Right now I am listening to a wonderful debate on Drive with Adrian Durham and Alvin Martin concerning top England and Manchester Utd star Wayne Rooney.

This weekend league football takes a break and we turn towards the wonderful list of International fixtures and none is bigger than England v Slovenia at Wembley.

Wayne Rooney may well reach his 100th cap in the match and TalkSport is giving us the lowdown on whether or not the boy Rooney has achieved legendary status in the famous white shirt of England.

Drive has had some great opinions on the matter with appearances from no less that legendary England manager the sultry Swede himself Sven Goran Erickson who has put Rooney just paces behind behemoths of the game Ronaldo and Messi.

I am enjoying the debate so much I may well call in and give my opinion so listen out!

C'mon Wazza, c'mon England and keep it TalkSport for all the buildup and fall out from the England game!!:)
This discussion has been closed.