Options

Most efficient automatic cars?

MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

What cars have the best engines for automatics? I've heard they drain so much fuel that running one is just so expensive. I've got a messed up left foot and now can't drive a manual, which is extremely annoying, cos I didn't want to spend much I wanted a cheapish runaround. But now I think I'll need to save more towards a decent automatic that gets good mpg.
I know the golfs have the Bluemotion engine which is great mpg and they're cheap road tax too. But that's all I know.

If anyone can help with this or advise what to look for, which models to look at etc, that would be hugely appreciated. I really want a diesel, with low tax and good mpg.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Charles2703Charles2703 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Mrstimmy wrote: »
    Hi,

What cars have the best engines for automatics? I've heard they drain so much fuel that running one is just so expensive. I've got a messed up left foot and now can't drive a manual, which is extremely annoying, cos I didn't want to spend much I wanted a cheapish runaround. But now I think I'll need to save more towards a decent automatic that gets good mpg.
    I know the golfs have the Bluemotion engine which is great mpg and they're cheap road tax too. But that's all I know.

If anyone can help with this or advise what to look for, which models to look at etc, that would be hugely appreciated. I really want a diesel, with low tax and good mpg.

Thanks

Hi there I have a Peugeot 2008 Crossover automatic - it's a 1.6 diesel and I easily get 60mpg. That's with a mixture of town and motorway miles.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    The modern day autos aren't as bad as they used to be. The difference between manual and auto mpg is less now.

I have a Golf 2.0 TDI auto and currently get 50+mpg but it does include motorway driving. However, whenever I've rented or had a bigger diesel as a hire/curtesy car such as a Passat or Insigna, the mpg was a lot worse than my car in comparison.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All autos have become more economic, but some more so than others. And what makes the difference is modern petrol or Diesel engines with new high efficiency automatic transmissions, which typically means one of the latest CVT belt drive or automated manual (common examples inc the VW dsg - a twin clutch 6 or 7 speed system).

So when looking for an economical automatic, you have to do some research and be picky.
    You also have to be aware that recently, smaller petrol engines have got a lot more economical. These engines inc things such as nissans dig-s and fords Eco boost. In this area of the market, there is little reason to opt for the diesel model.

So my examples of the most economic automatics would be-

VW polo 1.4 petrol / 7spd dsg auto
    Honda Jazz 1.4 petrol / CVT
    mk3 Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol / CVT
    .....all should manage about 60mpg in mixed driving & this is about the same as for the same engine mated to the manual gearbox.

Also look at the Nissan micra 1.2 DIG-S petrol - CVT

The latest Kia picanto 1.25 petrol is said to deliver 60mpg using a traditional torque converter automatic transmission - and the Hyundai 2014 i10 petrol is more or less a copy of the Kia.

Super economical 'minis include
    VW UP (the seat mii & skoda Citigo are virtually identical) with the 75PS 1.0 petrol engine coupled to cut down version of the VW dsg - called the ASG, a 5 spd single automated clutch drive - not sure how smooth this would be. These cars should manage around 70mpg as long as you don't put your foot down hard.

Latest fiat 500 with twin air petrol engine, with fiats dual logic automated manual, which should return 80mpg, but no idea how smooth or reliable it is.

You can of course choose a diesel - automatic...,
    For example, VW golf 1.6tdi with DSG or golf 2.0tdi with dsg. The smaller engine should get well over 50mpg, while the bigger one will be around 50mpg.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understood the idea they run away with petrol, if you drive them sensibly they really don't and I know I used far more trying to drive a manual ! They are slightly more needy on brakes I believe but again that can be sorted by driving better.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Never understood the idea they run away with petrol, if you drive them sensibly they really don't and I know I used far more trying to drive a manual ! They are slightly more needy on brakes I believe but again that can be sorted by driving better.

Thing is, a few years ago most auto' boxes only had 3 or 4 gears and they relied on the viscous coupling to ensure the engine revs remained sensible by, basically, "slipping the clutch" whenever it was required to keep the engine running smoothly.

As a result of that, you'd always lose some efficiency, regardless of how smoothly you drive.

These days, however, the auto' boxes are much more efficient so they don't waste power generated by the engine like they used to.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Honda Jazz CVT is actually rated slightly more economical than the manual. The next gen Jazz (due out this summer) is supposedly going to be a 75mpg 1.3l engine.

I currently drive a 2012 CVT 1.4 Jazz and average around 50mpg. But then I have studied how to drive efficiently. The most important aspect for saving fuel is driving without brakes. Most automatics have a torque converter and that does reduce engine braking but it's still very possible to keep your foot off the brake. You just have to be good at anticipating what's ahead.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Thing is, a few years ago most auto' boxes only had 3 or 4 gears and they relied on the viscous coupling to ensure the engine revs remained sensible by, basically, "slipping the clutch" whenever it was required to keep the engine running smoothly.
    Yah, most automatics these days have a lock up facility that kicks in quite early. I'd guess that the Honda CVT locks up very early given the ratio available (1500rpm @ 60mph) and the ability to finely adjust that ratio. It probably only needs the torque converter at very low speeds.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The modern day autos aren't as bad as they used to be. The difference between manual and auto mpg is less now.

I have a Golf 2.0 TDI auto and currently get 50+mpg but it does include motorway driving. However, whenever I've rented or had a bigger diesel as a hire/curtesy car such as a Passat or Insigna, the mpg was a lot worse than my car in comparison.

In most cases auto boxes are more efficient than manual boxes these days.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i recommend a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Overland..

from experience
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    The Honda Jazz CVT is actually rated slightly more economical than the manual. The next gen Jazz (due out this summer) is supposedly going to be a 75mpg 1.3l engine.

I currently drive a 2012 CVT 1.4 Jazz and average around 50mpg. But then I have studied how to drive efficiently. The most important aspect for saving fuel is driving without brakes. Most automatics have a torque converter and that does reduce engine braking but it's still very possible to keep your foot off the brake. You just have to be good at anticipating what's ahead.Yah, most automatics these days have a lock up facility that kicks in quite early. I'd guess that the Honda CVT locks up very early given the ratio available (1500rpm @ 60mph) and the ability to finely adjust that ratio. It probably only needs the torque converter at very low speeds.

75mpg from the next gen CVT Jazz sounds good to me.....
    In the olden days of small CVT automatics, there was a power delivery delay. However, on the test drive I took of the same Jazz you own, it almost feels like Honda have put on a anti-slip system just for pulling away. You can feel this working upto about 15mph (from my memory of it). Its almost at the point of being too fierce - I really had to stay on the foot brake a lot in traffic........
    ....whereas in my Polo DSG, the take up system is variable depending on how sharply I press the accelerator pedal. If I just release the brake the auto-creep is far weaker than in the Jazz CVT (and also weaker than in the torque-converter auto astra I prev owned). And just gently pressing the gas pedal usually results in a dim witted response time while I wait for the computer to come of its tea break. But, if I press suddenly on the gas pedal the car instantly takes off at a rate of speed - I can easily leave many cars standing at the lights if I do this! - and this is variable prog is within the normal Drive selection - shifting into Sport mode makes if quicker still.
    The DSG power delivery is sorta peeky while a torque converter is smoother. The DSG is excellent on the open road - generally speaking. Its effective that's for sure and theres no lag going up hills or overtaking. Option to manually select any of the 7 gears, tho there is a limit to this-I cant pull away in anything other than 1st, and theres no Winter function which I had on the Astra. I also find the DSG manual mode very handy for going down hills at certain speeds - at town speeds it wants to shift down to invoke engine braking - but I prefer to override this and make it stay in a higher gear such as 6th (its happy in 6th at 30+mph). I think my torque converter used to remain in the highest gear on the over run until it had to switch to a lower selection). The Polo DSG can easily spin up its wheels which I don't like (it has TC/ABS/PAS/SC as well). I have to keep reminding myself, this car flatters to deceive - despite it being responsive and quite fun, its still only a 1.4 petrol (no turbo).
    So in pure terms of driving it, on the open road DSG is better than a torque converter. But in traffic, torque converter wins.

It can do and has returned 60mpg on normal unleaded. But it is harder to do than the same economy in my old shape Polo TDi (1.4 manual). It also makes a difference to a greater extent than with the TDi where and how I drive it. If I keep the gas pedal light and put up with the car in boring dim witted mode (tho, the engine noise is almost zero like this) and cruise up behind stopped traffic using the brakes only at the last etc, and this is done on certain long runs, it will manage 60mpg - also in a like for like on the motorway, it is slightly more economical simply because of that 7th gear (my TDi manual was only a 5spd and quite buzzy on the motorway). I find some difference in economy depending on the brand of fuel. It gives best economy on sainsburys it seems, tho I am wondering if the other stuff like Murco gives a tad more power while sacrificing a little economy.

I have not yet worked out what I might choose next time. I might consider another DSG especially if they have fine tuned it and added a Winter mode or adjusted the manual mode to allow pull away in 2nd gear. I will have a look at the new Jazz as well, tho our nearest Honda dealership is not the cheapest or most friendly! I will def have a look at the Kia and Hyundias with their torque converter automatics as well.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 2 litre petrol Honda CRV Auto and easily get 34 mpg. The manual version gets about the same. It's more of how you drive the car than anything else. Heavy right foot = poor consumption and more brake wear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    75mpg from the next gen CVT Jazz sounds good to me.....
    In the olden days of small CVT automatics, there was a power delivery delay. However, on the test drive I took of the same Jazz you own, it almost feels like Honda have put on a anti-slip system just for pulling away. You can feel this working upto about 15mph (from my memory of it). Its almost at the point of being too fierce - I really had to stay on the foot brake a lot in traffic........
    It sounds too good to be true - a 50% improvement on the old engine.

http://world.honda.com/Fit-Jazz/powertrain/

26km/l is 74pmg. And I usually do achieve the much defamed manufacturer figures.

And yes, the take off is stronger in my Jazz. Somewhere there is a short animation from Honda saying that they deliberately set out to give it more get up and go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I have a 2 litre petrol Honda CRV Auto and easily get 34 mpg. The manual version gets about the same. It's more of how you drive the car than anything else. Heavy right foot = poor consumption and more brake wear.

Quite good for a big heavy petrol 4x4 with automatic transmission....but tbh I would be money poor if I had to pay the fuel bill.
    My Astra only did 36mpg on a good day, and frankly it was painful to see the fuel needle fall back over 6 miles.......and if I thrashed it, I could use the same amount from one side of town to the other (about 2 miles).

With anything that's a bit more responsive (even my polo dsg) u are always faced with a choice. I mean back when I had the Astra with a sport button, I could blast along the road with the button pressed and the pedal down or just trundle along in normal mode.....which is more fun - because that's the one your going to pick most of the time. And when u do, the car burns more fuel.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My god, how nerdy has this thread gone:o

My two pence worth, if the OP is still reading, if you are after a runaround around town with only short journeys and very few if any long motorway trips then avoid going for a modern diesel. You may get better fuel economy but end up with a large bill, try googling "Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) failure".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the moves to try and make diesel more environmentally friendly has led to a lot more complexity for Diesel engines. Dpf doesn't like frequent short journeys. And all the improvements don't actually succeed in 100% removing the problem (not even a euro6 rated diesel). Which is way moves are afoot to punish diesel drivers (around the world).

With superminis you do now have the option (tho rather limited) of a high efficiency petrol engine which 99% removes the need for a diesel powered supermini. Handily they don't suffer the same probs as modern diesels, and their efficiency and price point means a hybrid supermini doesn't make financial sense either (which is a lot more complicated due to batteries etc).
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've got 2 Toyota Aygos in our house, both have MMT boxes which means they can be used as manuals if you want to (I never have done). One is 7 years old and one is brand new, they both do around 360-380 miles on a tank of petrol which costs about £42. That averages out to approx 51 mpg and we do a lot of short journeys particularly in the older car.

The new car has no road tax and the older car is £20 per year. I love them both and would really recommend them for a small car :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The aygo, the Citroen c1, and pug107 have a 35litre fuel tank I think, whereas cars such as the polo and corsa, fiesta have 45litre tanks.

Toyotas mmt (multi mode transmission) is a single clutch automated manual gear box. I have not driven one so I don't know how smooth etc they are, the double clutch dsg automated manual in VW is quite good, but not perfect.

I am not sure what the new aygo automatic uses, it might be the cvt from the new Yaris or Toyota iQ.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driven a couple of powershift models from ford which use the dual clutch system similar to VW DSG and they are very good. You don't don't get the fapply paddles but don't need it. Economy wise I believe they quote the same MPG for manual and auto.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you all cope in these tiny cars??? i have kids and enjoy driving to France and i still need a roofbox and im driving an Insignia at the moment..

Ive had Lagunas, Mondeos, gas guzzling Jeeps....(LPG converted)

i dont know how people can live with roller skates, especially if they have a family..

i suppose tax and running costs are cheap though..

regarding efficency, im not intrested in penny pinching MPG, at my age i want a nice comfy car with all of the toys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you all cope in these tiny cars?
    Well I live alone but I drive around with a full set of golf clubs, pair of golf shoes and folded golf trolley (electric so there's also a small lead-acid battery) in the boot. On a couple of occasions I drove my friend and his family (two adults, one child) with their luggage to Luton airport. The Jazz has a lot of room inside ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Well I live alone but I drive around with a full set of golf clubs, pair of golf shoes and folded golf trolley (electric so there's also a small lead-acid battery) in the boot. On a couple of occasions I drove my friend and his family (two adults, one child) with their luggage to Luton airport. The Jazz has a lot of room inside ;)

probably has, and very well engineered....

just not my thing..i prefer my motorway cruisers...

my dad has a 1 series....a nice car but i wouldnt have one myself..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you all cope in these tiny cars??? i have kids and enjoy driving to France and i still need a roofbox and im driving an Insignia at the moment..

i dont know how people can live with roller skates, especially if they have a family..

regarding efficency, im not intrested in penny pinching MPG, at my age i want a nice comfy car with all of the toys

Simple, it's down to money or the lack of it.
    Due to the lack of money, some people are
    Driving round in really old cars (eg, 1997 era) because they can't afford to change them.
    Or
    They can afford a newer car but require one with high efficiency & low insurance etc in order to afford to run it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Simple, it's down to money or the lack of it.
    Due to the lack of money, some people are
    Driving round in really old cars (eg, 1997 era) because they can't afford to change them.
    Or
    They can afford a newer car but require one with high efficiency & low insurance etc in order to afford to run it.

im not being funny, a brand new Jazz wont be cheap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not being funny, a brand new Jazz wont be cheap

For me, it's running costs, not so much the initial cost of the car.

But different for other people. Just depends on your situation.

I do drive VW and the prices are in the same ball park as the Jazz.

Currently get upto 60mpg, and the current jazz does same. A step up from 60 to 75mpg as promised by new jazz would be a very significant saving.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all car engines have been designed with automatic in mind for decades now, CVT & the automated manuals are most efficient
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a family car and a small car and right now I would take the small car every time unless there is a specific need for the big car. Nothing to do with penny pinching, Small car handles better, rides better and easier to park