3G Iphone

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mancghirl wrote: »
    I want the Xperia very much :cry: Predicted release not til Q1 2009.

The Xperia might still be available in 2008.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/04/sony_ericsson_denies_xperia_x1_delay/
  • jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Apple still havent got it right. Never mind im sure it will sell to people who dont know any better or think Apple is cool.

There are lots of other better phones out there anyway.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/?lc=en&cc=gb

HTC Diamond
    http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46278

Samsung Ominia
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/09/samsung_launches_omnia/

Better in what respect - camera and?

Do they have an ARM processor or multi touch? Are they running OS X?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    apparently only at the edges. overall it's slightly thicker according the posters at macrumors who have been comparing the respective specs.

example post:

The max thickness point of the phone is slightly larger, but the average thickness does in fact appear to be smaller due to the tapered back.

exact size comparison:

The new one (3G) is
    Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
    Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
    Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)
    Weight: 4.7 ounces (133 grams)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

The old one (EDGE) is
    Height: 4.5 inches (115 mm)
    Width: 2.4 inches (61 mm)
    Depth: 0.46 inch (11.6 mm)
    Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)

http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache...one+tech+specs
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought HTC products were majorly buggy...not mention majorly expensive.

Also runs windows mobile. :(
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    So, I wonder what people who got suckered into buying a 1st generation iPhone think

I bought my first iPhone 2 days after the American launch for $750 and thought it was worth every penny. I bought my second iPhone from O2 for £269 and thought it was a bargain. Just look forward to buying my third one at a knock down price. No-one forced me to pay $750 for my first one. Something is worth what you value it, I don't see why people can't see that. I have no regrets paying what others may consider over the odds. As far as I am concerned it has repaid itself many times over.
    Forum Member
    the prices are up, £99 (8GB) and £159 (16GB) or free on the more expensive tariffs:

https://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the prices are up starting at £99 (8GB) and £159 (16GB):

https://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

What about on payg?

So really, there looks like theres no way out of getting a contract with o2. This sucks.
  • jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Existing iPhone customers upgrade to iPhone for free*

To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract either, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract.

*Best of all, the new 8GB iPhone won't cost you a penny on our £45 and £75 tariffs. And it's just £99 on our £35 tariff and new £30 tariff. This special early upgrade offer is only available online at o2.co.uk anytime from 11th July until 11th October 2008.

Take a look at our new Pay Monthly tariffs for iPhone

Then just register your interest opposite and we'll drop you a line in early July to tell you what you need to do to be one of the first to get your hands on the new 3G iPhone.

With O2 but don't have an iPhone?

Existing O2 customers can also switch to iPhone. We'll contact you when you're eligible for an upgrade and talk you through the best options.

You'll be able to upgrade online at o2.co.uk, in one or our high street stores or by calling one of our upgrade advisors.

*8GB handset provided at no additional cost on £45 and £75 per month tarrifs when you connect to a new minimum term contrqact. Subject to availability. Connection subject to status, 18-month minimum term contract, credit check & direct debit. Excessive usage policy and terms apply.

Hooray, upgrade for me to 16 gig!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm looks good :D
    Dunno about PAYG yet..and apparently activation may be in store now.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting...

iphone customers:
    "To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008."

non-iphone o2 customers:
    "Existing O2 customers can also switch to iPhone. We'll contact you when you're eligible for an upgrade and talk you through the best options."

Could it be that existing customers can't do an 'early' upgrade before the end of the contract anymore? Or are they just hedging their bets on how much stock they'll get and how many people will want one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooo it is coming soon on PAYG. Now thats better.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very nice sweetener to us early adopters of the iphone, well done to Apple & o2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote: »
    A very nice sweetener to us early adopters of the iphone, well done to Apple & o2.

I agree Jon. For once the networks seem to be giving something back to the customer. Well done!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stonard123 wrote: »
    I agree Jon. For once the networks seem to be giving something back to the customer. Well done!!

Now this would be interesting, could you take advantage of this offer but downgrade to the new £30 tarrif?
    And I see they're adding BT openzone for WiFi from July 11th
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    C225 wrote: »

i wish they had put the price up.
  • markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the £30 tariff is a bit of a disappointment. Only 75 mins a month?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    rumour was £269 for PAYG pre-launch. They called the £99 contract price point correctly!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/05/3g_iphone_latest/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the iphone on PAYG will mean you have to top up a minimum amount each month in order to keep your credit and serivce, like vodafone used to do with the orignal price plans
  • linolino Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well now I see it's £169 for the 16gig model on the £30 a month tariff I'm very tempted. If only because of the "unlimited data", I wonder how unlimited that actually is. At the moment I'm on Orange and am paying around £40 a month with a stupid 1 or 5 megs I can't even remember. I rarely use it for phone calls, mainly data and texts. So even on the £30 a month deal I'm winning.

Now I just need to find a buyer for my iPod Touch!

Any takers ;)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jammers wrote: »
    Better in what respect - camera and?

Do they have an ARM processor or multi touch? Are they running OS X?

I dont know all the features of the iPhone version 2.0 but version 1 was missing a lot of features that are standard on a cheap pay as you go phone. MMS for example has been about since 2002 and wasn't on the iPhone as just one example.
  • Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering about this. However, the lack of the simple ability to just bluetooth media to friends in the same room without having to resort to email (which, lets face it, VERY few people in the UK with 'normal' handsets have bothered setting up) is the primary spoiler. The lack of and LED or Flash is less of one. The missing internal camera I probably could have lived with.

I am very disappointed, because otherwise, especially the price point, it was a great offering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jon41 wrote: »
    I think the iphone on PAYG will mean you have to top up a minimum amount each month in order to keep your credit and serivce, like vodafone used to do with the orignal price plans

Or switch the sim card and put your existing one in.
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammers wrote: »
    Existing iPhone customers upgrade to iPhone for free*

To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract either, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract.

*8GB handset provided at no additional cost on £45 and £75 per month tarrifs when you connect to a new minimum term contrqact. Subject to availability. Connection subject to status, 18-month minimum term contract, credit check & direct debit. Excessive usage policy and terms apply.
    Best news I've heard all day!

Only thing that remains to be seen for me is how much they will charge existing iPhone customers on the £35 contract to upgrade to the 16Gb version (as it appears it is only free to those who are on the £45/75 contract and who want the 8Gb version). By the look of it this "existing iPhone customer" offer is following the price points for existing customers (so I can expect to have to spend £159 to get the 16Gb version) - though it would be nice to know for sure.

Registered my interest anyway!