Options

3G Iphone

Comments

• Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    Or switch the sim card and put your existing one in.

Is this normal for o2 sales?

To purchase an iPhone with a Pay & Go tariff you need to be over 16 or over 18 if you want to purchase online.
  • Options
    markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Cable wrote: »
    I was wondering about this. However, the lack of the simple ability to just bluetooth media to friends in the same room without having to resort to email (which, lets face it, VERY few people in the UK with 'normal' handsets have bothered setting up) is the primary spoiler. The lack of and LED or Flash is less of one. The missing internal camera I probably could have lived with.

I am very disappointed, because otherwise, especially the price point, it was a great offering.
    I was under the impression the iPhone came with bluetooth? :eek:
  • Options
    jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markymids wrote: »
    I was under the impression the iPhone came with bluetooth? :eek:

It does but it only supports the headset profile currently.
  • Options
    jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0806wdt546x/event/index.html

I don't think the other mobile apps and development software is going to be able to compete with OSX here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so... interesting! I have the Touch, but if they are indeed releasing the new model for these prices I may have to re-think my current phone :)

Seems good that thy are offering a PAYG version, but with the amount of internet usage if seen my friends get through, it may not be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    spanglystevespanglysteve Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really feel this was a misssed opportunity. At the price it appears to be be good value, but for me there are three fatal flaws:

1. No MMS
    2. Crap camera with no flash
    3. No video recording abilities

Most of the above were easily appearing on phones 5 or 6 years ago. Because of the lack of these features, i wont be giving up on my m95 anytime soon!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression the iPhone came with bluetooth?

It does have bluetooth. You just cant use it to send files to and from it because the file system is inaccessible.
    Well now I see it's £169 for the 16gig model on the £30 a month tariff I'm very tempted. If only because of the "unlimited data", I wonder how unlimited that actually is. At the moment I'm on Orange and am paying around £40 a month with a stupid 1 or 5 megs I can't even remember. I rarely use it for phone calls, mainly data and texts. So even on the £30 a month deal I'm winning.

Now I just need to find a buyer for my iPod Touch!

Its fairly unlimited, though I guess thats an oxymoron.

The truth is that it is very difficult to consume tons of data from just web browsing and opening the odd email attachment. I use my iPhone for mobile internet a lot, yet i've used *just* 1.3GB since November.

Does anybody know the current situation with O2s HSDPA rollout? This will be critical.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I upgrade to the new model. Can I use my old iPhone on Pay As You Go ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »

good question! don't think anyone knows yet.
  • Options
    burbsburbs Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been trying to get an I Phone for 4 days now with no luck, do I stop bidding on Ebay and wait until 11th July?
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    burbs wrote: »
    I have been trying to get an I Phone for 4 days now with no luck, do I stop bidding on Ebay and wait until 11th July?

I think you should yes....
  • Options
    delorean_2kdelorean_2k Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    burbs wrote: »

Oh yes, once July 11th hits, the original iPhones should plummet in price, when you can get a brand new one for £99 (on contract).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »

On the o2 iPhone site, it says if you upgrade to a new 18month deal your old iPhone can be passed to someone else who can start a contract/upgrade their contract or go to the iPhone PAYG.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/existingiphonecustomers
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Mr Cable wrote: »
    I was wondering about this. However, the lack of the simple ability to just bluetooth media to friends in the same room without having to resort to email (which, lets face it, VERY few people in the UK with 'normal' handsets have bothered setting up) is the primary spoiler. The lack of and LED or Flash is less of one. The missing internal camera I probably could have lived with.

I agree they're both staggering ommissions.

The Bluetooth *can* be fixed with software - the internal hardware supports proper Bluetooth and video recording on the camera.

But given it hasn't been fixed for a year I'm left wondering if it ever will be.

Phazer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    So, I wonder what people who got suckered into buying a 1st generation iPhone think

They're probably thinking that they new full well what they were buying and that it was a perfectly reasonable price in comparison to other iPods - if you made use of the call package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently only at the edges. overall it's slightly thicker according the posters at macrumors who have been comparing the respective specs.

example post:

The max thickness point of the phone is slightly larger, but the average thickness does in fact appear to be smaller due to the tapered back.

Yup, that's what Jobs said - thinner at the edge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhone2 can apparently only be activated instore .... so no more online purchasing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Wunder if 02 would give me a PAC code so i can put it on Orange pay as you go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really feel this was a misssed opportunity. At the price it appears to be be good value, but for me there are three fatal flaws:

1. No MMS
    2. Crap camera with no flash
    3. No video recording abilities

Most of the above were easily appearing on phones 5 or 6 years ago. Because of the lack of these features, i wont be giving up on my m95 anytime soon!

Apple are very quick to move on from certain technologies. I'm of the opinion that MMS will die a death in the not so distant future. With email and the web becoming more and more common I reckon people will (/should) just use them since there's no need for multiple ways of doing the same thing. Admittedly it's a loss if you use it a lot now and the people you send to don't have email but that's what Apple has always done.

No explanation for the camera/recording but I'm not bothered by them.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested if it's on PAYG depending on cost
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    So, I wonder what people who got suckered into buying a 1st generation iPhone think

I have the 1st gen iPhone and camera aside it has been the best phone I have had and I go through a lot! Every handset has problems and compared to the buggy Nokias the iPhone has been amazing, and now I can upgrade for free to the new model. Having a poor camera has made me get a decent digital camera so actually I am getting better photos.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean10 wrote: »
    On the o2 iPhone site, it says if you upgrade to a new 18month deal your old iPhone can be passed to someone else who can start a contract/upgrade their contract or go to the iPhone PAYG.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/existingiphonecustomers

Thanks for that. That's great news - I know of someone very deserving of my v1 iPhone :D
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moisie, MMS will only die when everybody has a push e-mail account and phone that supports it, I think that's still a little way off yet. I think the telephone companies will hold onto it because it's a nice money earner, if we all switched to e-mail instead of MMS and SMS their profits would take a bit of a hit.

This morning I had a look at what some of Apple's competitors are working on, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 looks very spanky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've resisted buying an IPhone since they came out due to the price. Now that I will be able to get one for £99 on a £30 a month contract I am more than likely going to get one. I'd be interested to see how much the phone will be on Pay and Go as I'm currently a 02 sim only customer.

The phone is going to be free on the £45 a month tarriff. I bet know how rubbish 02 are that after a few months you could reduce your tarriff to a lower priced one.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will happen to the price of these new gen Iphones , say on Ebay

Will they be cheap to buy or will they jump in price .

In the past I have sold the free contract phone given with the contract , I am wondering what will happen to the price say on Ebay of similar free contract , new gen Iphones at launch , will they be cheap to buy due to locking / activation problems or will they jump in price due to low availability