Top 5 Most Annoying Things Jeremy Kyle Does (Part 5)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner 51 wrote: »
    I heard from a DWP employee that some people from around here in Wiltshire have tried to get on the Jeremy Kyle show when they want to "appear to be responsible" when an ex's lawyers threaten them to take them to the cleaners when getting divorced.

Crikey, imagine having Jezza adjudicate divorce proceedings... Talk about unfair.

My Daughters` friend goes out with a lawyer, and he told her that he has actually had clients up on various charges, who in their submissions to the Court, (think that`s what they`re called) to prove that they are trying to change their lives around for the better, say that that they have applied to go on the Jeremy Kyle show.

Frightning!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluesowner wrote: »
    My Daughters` friend goes out with a lawyer, and he told her that he has actually had clients up on various charges, who in their submissions to the Court, (think that`s what they`re called) to prove that they are trying to change their lives around for the better, say that that they have applied to go on the Jeremy Kyle show.

Frightning!!!

T'is frightening indeed. Maybe that's how Mr Vile gets his guests. But how on earth people would take his help is beyond my understanding.

What's wrong with a normal psychotherapist or counsellor ? I know that they are rare (having worked at a Mental Health Charity at one time...) but it won't take too much effort to find one.

I guess Mental Health has really gone down the pan in the last ten / twenty years. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I know. It's sickening. Domestic abusers are always very good at doing repentant and remorseful. It's part of the pattern: they cry and plead and persuade the woman they're really sorry. So the fact that they can act remorseful on a TV show is just par for the course and doesn't mean a thing!

I agree with you, Jerry practically handed the guy an excuse on a plate ("I know you've been under a lot of pressure lately looking for work..." etc). If there's one thing a domestic abuser doesn't need, it's someone else making excuses for him! They do that quite enough for themselves already!

Horrible, horrible show. I saw a bit of this morning's programme and it was so awful, I even started another thread over it! It just seemed so inappropriate and irresponsible to have that alcoholic bloke on the show in such a state. And as usual, Jerry seemed to think that he had the power to succeed where the man's family and friends had failed. I felt quite sickened when Graham said the guy had been screaming and punching things shortly before going on the show. How could they put someone on TV in that state?

That sickened me as well Cathrin.

Graham slipped up there too, when he started to say that they had to go out to buy the man alcohol before the show, then quickly changed it to making out it was the man himself who went out and bought vodka.

And why did they have to parade the Mother and Sister of that young medic who had died, and the Mother of the young girl who was killed by a joy-rider, on the show like that?

Surely they`d already been through enough, why bring them back like that, when it was perfectly clear it wouldn`t make the slightest bit of difference to the alcoholic and the joy rider.

All it appeared to do was stoke Jerrys` ego as he showed how he was "helping" them, whilst riding on the back of those poor people who have had to cope with such dreadful tragedies.

It seems he`ll stoop to anything to try and boost his viewing figures!

Absolutely sickening...
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The joyriding story was really disturbing and sad, I know it was done to knock sense into the kid, but for the mother to have to relay her story on camera was horrible, I know ITV said "some of her story may be upsetting" blah blah blah, but I'm not sure WE need to hear it, harsh as that sounds. Couldnt blokey have been told the story later?
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that the same core points about this show keep cropping up over and over again.

Aggressive and bullying treatment of guests (especially young women). Shouting, banging his fists on the floor, calling them names and misquoting/misrepresenting them to get maximum response from the audience (booing and jeering), which drowns out the guests' attempts to defend themselves and/or correct inaccuracies.

Casting doubt re mitigating circumstances that may have caused guests' problems (post-natal depression, other mental illness, past abuse etc).

Winding up wife-beaters by goading, humiliating and taunting them, using security guards to make sure they can't retaliate there and then. In this scenario it will be the woman who suffers later; the man will inevitably take out his frustration and humiliation on her.

Repeatedly taking a stance that effectively gives out the message: "Two wrongs make a right." For example, when a male guest has been bullying, abusing and controlling his partner and making her life hell: if it turns out that his partner has done something wrong (e.g. cheating), the male guest is treated as vindicated. Sometimes Jeremy will even apologise to the man for having criticised his behaviour before the lie-detector results were known. This effectively gives out the message that his past behaviour towards the woman, however abusive, has been justified because she is "guilty".

Unnecessarily supportive attitude towards men who are stalking their exes. (This scenario is either treated as a big joke, or the men are showered with sympathy while the female victims are asked if they're "doing anything to encourage it"/"leading him on"/"giving the poor man false hopes, bless him" etc.)

I'm sure I've missed out some of the "key issues": anyone got any to add to the list?
  • MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that you have summed up my feelings pretty well Cathrin. I also want to add how he treats guests with addictions. He seems to feel that shouting at them is an effective tool in their "treatment." He wants them to be broken, he wants them to admit to their failings then and there on national TV.

He also appears to have no regard for why they may have such problems in the first place. (I personally think that quite a few of his guests have underlying mental health problems, but this seems to be ignored for the purposes of the show.)

If an alcoholic guest has children who they have let down as a result of the addiction, he becomes even more sinister, shouting and bullying them and telling them that they have failed as a parent. I'm sure they already know this, they certainly don't need Jeremy and his baying mob confirming it to them.

He also makes people beg for help: "Why should I help you? I've only got limited resources, why do you deserve MY help?" He seems to relish seeing people beg, IMO purely to feed his own ego.

Also, his judgemental attitude to parents who have put their children in care. Regardless of the story, he ALWAYS sides with the child involved, telling them how erudite, amazing and wonderful they are, despite evidence to the contrary. He always condemns the parent involved, usually the mother, without the facts. A recent episode was quite horrendous, where he basically tore the woman apart who had put her children into care. She had been in an abusive relationship and had obviously got some educational problems, but he didn't let that stop him from ripping her apart. But in the same breath he then called one of the children's foster parent "an angel from God" despite knowing nothing about her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    You both summed that up well. I seen the show to where the child's foster parent was called an 'angel from God'.

It can't be easy putting your kids into care at all no matter how much they crack you up but at least one step in the right direction is realising that your kids are better off somewhere else.

I have 3 kids and y eldest is nearly 10 from a previous relationship lives with his dad through the wee due to schooling etc but we're always in touch during the wee and seeing each other most weekends etc.

I did have a few problems in the past, not drin or drugs or anything but bad depression, housing, relationship probs etc and when I watch the show I wonder if i'm a bad parent because my eldest lives with his dad and I agreed to it [with great difficuilty but at the time it was for the best].

I also know alot of people on there will claim to have PND and Jeremy, depending if the guest is likeable or not, will usually dismiss it saying why didn't they get help etc. Again from experience, deep down I knew I had it all those years ago but wouldn't go for help and my mum took me to the doctors in the end so it is hard admitting you need help.

I wouldn't dare go to a doctor in the past and admit being depressed but now I would and the right treatment does work.

Anyway things have been much better for years now so i'll stop boring you all but you are spot on about how he handles certain issues and that was my experience:)
    Forum Member
    Hi Mechs :)
    I agree with you, if the parent has a problem with drugs or whatever Jerky always says they have FAILED and just screams at them, when theres a DNA test, the bloke cant win because he'll either be screamed at for putting it about, or screamed at even if the child is his as he HASN'T BEEN A FATHER FOR 5/6 MONTHS/WHATEVER. :mad:
    On occasions though the parents deserve it - the mother on a few days ago was a child abusing cow and deserved everything she got.
    The mother of the heroin addict seemed so gentle and well spoken, too good for Jerky so why did she go off the rails? Of course there may be other factors.
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    Lucy Jane wrote: »
    I know! I can't go out if I'm not the best I can make myself and I don't get people who can walk around anywhere, including on television, in scummy tracksuits with unwashed greasy hair and skin. Yuck. How can anyone have such little pride is beyond my understanding.

I can understand where you're coming from but I think a bit of compassion for people with mental health problems / depression / addictions is required.

When I was really ill from depression and recovering from addiction, I literally didn't wash or brush my hair or anything. I used to go to the shops with my coat over my pyjamas and I must have stunk to high heaven and I even had to cut all my hair off cos I couldn't get a brush thru it. Mind you, I wouldn't have agreed to go on telly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You both summed that up well. I seen the show to where the child's foster parent was called an 'angel from God'.

It can't be easy putting your kids into care at all no matter how much they crack you up but at least one step in the right direction is realising that your kids are better off somewhere else.

I have 3 kids and y eldest is nearly 10 from a previous relationship lives with his dad through the wee due to schooling etc but we're always in touch during the wee and seeing each other most weekends etc.

I did have a few problems in the past, not drin or drugs or anything but bad depression, housing, relationship probs etc and when I watch the show I wonder if i'm a bad parent because my eldest lives with his dad and I agreed to it [with great difficuilty but at the time it was for the best].

I also know alot of people on there will claim to have PND and Jeremy, depending if the guest is likeable or not, will usually dismiss it saying why didn't they get help etc. Again from experience, deep down I knew I had it all those years ago but wouldn't go for help and my mum took me to the doctors in the end so it is hard admitting you need help.

I wouldn't dare go to a doctor in the past and admit being depressed but now I would and the right treatment does work.

Anyway things have been much better for years now so i'll stop boring you all but you are spot on about how he handles certain issues and that was my experience:)

Aww Mels, you actually sound like a very caring Mother who put her son first, so you have no reason to feel bad at all, and I`m so glad that everything is so much better for you now.

PND is a terrible thing to have, I had it after my last, much longed for, child, and didn`t recognise it for what it was for ages, when I finally sought help from my GP.

Quite often on his show, you see young girls who have babies only a few weeks old, and it does worry me the way that he often shouts at and belittles them, when any normal person would realise that their hormones would still be all over the place.

And, as he is so fond of pointing out, he is the Father of three Daughters, so he really should know better.
    Forum Member
    This shameful human being that is Jeremy Kyle needs to be removed from the air and never allowed back on.

His show is dangerous and damaging in more ways than one.

That it continues to be allowed is shocking. I was horrified at the section dealing with wife beating in today's show.

I agree.

I think it's time for action.

I get upset when people crit Trisha here because all she's doing is trying to make things better for people in complex situation and highlighting that mental health problems are widespread (even if her syrup is a bit skewy). Jerky is worse than Jerry Springer. It's just abuse.

I can only conclude that Jerky is an abuser himself. He has no respect for women. He is patriarchal, patronising, dominant, domineering, and a bully. Most TV broadcasters are fairly PC these days. I think we need to start complaining, as said to Cathrin before - sorry I was absent for a while - but this is a feminist issue at stake and a matter of integrity.

Even Jerry Springer makes light of situations and doesn't bully females any more than he bullies males.
    Forum Member
    Also, something that bothers me with this show.

I used to work in the media and television broadcasting. A person under the influence of drugs or with a mental health problem or withdrawing from drugs is not considered BY LAW to be in sound mind. For example, if they killed someone, they would not be held responsible for their actions, they would be deemed unwell and dealt with by forensic psychiatry.

When I worked at Granada (20 years ago) on 'You've Been Framed' we weren't allowed to show clips of anyone who was under the influence or who sustained a serious injury as a result of their accident. That was because of the broadcasting standards laws. When I worked at the BBC we had to check the credentials of everyone and make sure they were telling the truth and weren't being coerced. When I worked in journalism we had to check the person was in a sound state of mind to make a statement or comment. I just don't understand how people who are mentally ill / incapacitated / addicted / withdrawing are legally allowed to participate in this show. If they made a will or were taken to court, they would be deemed not responsible for themselves or their actions. Surely the same thing applies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Hi Mechs :)
    I agree with you, if the parent has a problem with drugs or whatever Jerky always says they have FAILED and just screams at them, when theres a DNA test, the bloke cant win because he'll either be screamed at for putting it about, or screamed at even if the child is his as he HASN'T BEEN A FATHER FOR 5/6 MONTHS/WHATEVER. :mad:
    On occasions though the parents deserve it - the mother on a few days ago was a child abusing cow and deserved everything she got.
    The mother of the heroin addict seemed so gentle and well spoken, too good for Jerky so why did she go off the rails? Of course there may be other factors.

I sometimes almost wonder if he has some sort of personality disorder, as, at times he seems to positively relish putting the people on there down and when that revolting smug little smirk of his appears. Eugh!!!:mad:

At times it`s obvious that some of the people he shouts down almost certainly have either mental health or learning problems. I shudder to think what kind of damage he causes.

That`s an interesting point you made about the Mother of the young heroin addict.

It just goes to show that it`s not always the kids from deprived backgrounds who rebel, and get into trouble.

I would hazard a guess that that girl had actually been spoiled, and never had to take responsibility for herself, and was used to Mummy picking up the pieces.

I just hope someone is able to get through to her before she goes too far down the path of self destruction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, something that bothers me with this show.

I used to work in the media and television broadcasting. A person under the influence of drugs or with a mental health problem or withdrawing from drugs is not considered BY LAW to be in sound mind. For example, if they killed someone, they would not be held responsible for their actions, they would be deemed unwell and dealt with by forensic psychiatry.

When I worked at Granada (20 years ago) on 'You've Been Framed' we weren't allowed to show clips of anyone who was under the influence or who sustained a serious injury as a result of their accident. That was because of the broadcasting standards laws. When I worked at the BBC we had to check the credentials of everyone and make sure they were telling the truth and weren't being coerced. When I worked in journalism we had to check the person was in a sound state of mind to make a statement or comment. I just don't understand how people who are mentally ill / incapacitated / addicted / withdrawing are legally allowed to participate in this show. If they made a will or were taken to court, they would be deemed not responsible for themselves or their actions. Surely the same thing applies?

You would have thought so, wouldn`t you?

I assume that whoever goes on there must have to sign some kind of disclaimer, but if they`re not in full control of their faculties, such as the many addicts and alcoholics he has on, I wonder how that would stand up?
    Forum Member
    I sometimes almost wonder if he has some sort of personality disorder, as, at times he seems to positively relish putting the people on there down and when that revolting smug little smirk of his appears. Eugh!!!:mad:

At times it`s obvious that some of the people he shouts down almost certainly have either mental health or learning problems. I shudder to think what kind of damage he causes.

That`s an interesting point you made about the Mother of the young heroin addict.

It just goes to show that it`s not always the kids from deprived backgrounds who rebel, and get into trouble.

I would hazard a guess that that girl had actually been spoiled, and never had to take responsibility for herself, and was used to Mummy picking up the pieces.

I just hope someone is able to get through to her before she goes too far down the path of self destruction.

I am sure Jerky has a personality disorder.

I read widely on the subject of mental health / addictions / family dynamics etc as my mum is severely mentally ill and there is a longstanding history of addictions and suicide in my immediate family.

One thing that becomes clear when researching family dysfunction is that some members of the family will cling onto normality at all costs, will fail to accept that there is such a thing as emotions and will strive at all costs to be 'normal'. I think Jerky is doing that. The reason the person does this, is because they literally cannot face the pain of the emotional suffering and it is a form of denial. In the circs, this type of person will feel huge hateful feelings towards people who are suffering and being ill or can't cope. This triggers extremely uncomfortable feelings in the person in denial and they will be extremely intolerant of any type of problems or emotional disorders. They can reach almost Hitler like proportions in their desire to 'remove' this, what they perceive to be 'failing' from life. They are inhumane and do not have a full set of emotions available to them. If they did, they would break down with the suffering and pain caused to them themselves as a child and through their own pain and sorrow. That is why they cling on so hatefully because the alternative is unbearable to their ego.

Jerky has oft stated that there is dysfunction in his family. Therefore he needs to work a recovery instead of executing a public 'acting out' of his disgusting denial and hatefulness. Graham is unethical for working with him. I have no doubt about that. Of all the people at fault, Graham is the worst because he knows the truth. Jerky is simply a symptom of a very horrible childhood, along with his siblings. He should not be given air time.
    Forum Member
    You would have thought so, wouldn`t you?

I assume that whoever goes on there must have to sign some kind of disclaimer, but if they`re not in full control of their faculties, such as the many addicts and alcoholics he has on, I wonder how that would stand up?

yeah, that's the bit I don't understand. No legally or otherwise document signed by an active addict, withdrawing addict, or person with mental health problems or under emotional duress is legally binding in a court of law. Therefore it is completely meaningless not only in terms of this show but in general law. A guest could easily hire a 'no win no fee' solicitor and sue Jerky for emotional distress or harm. A disclaimer cannot be legally binding by any person who is unwell at the time of signing it whether they do it voluntarily or not. It would not stand up in court for one minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I can understand where you're coming from but I think a bit of compassion for people with mental health problems / depression / addictions is required.

When I was really ill from depression and recovering from addiction, I literally didn't wash or brush my hair or anything. I used to go to the shops with my coat over my pyjamas and I must have stunk to high heaven and I even had to cut all my hair off cos I couldn't get a brush thru it. Mind you, I wouldn't have agreed to go on telly!

I do have compassion for people with mental health issues, please don't assume otherwise. But I just don't believe that all the people on JK have mental health issues. Some people are just slobs with no pride - I live on a council estate and believe me, I have seen it all.
    Forum Member
    I do have compassion for people with mental health issues, please don't assume otherwise. But I just don't believe that all the people on JK have mental health issues. Some people are just slobs with no pride - I live on a council estate and believe me, I have seen it all.

I know what you mean. But I do think people get trapped in their surroundings and don't have the tools to break out. Having no pride in your appearance is a problem in its own right no matter what angle you look at it from. I also know people who are proud to not take any help offered to them, feel it essential to stay the same, enjoy being viewed as 'scum' / 'lowlifes' and I agree it's annoying but even that in it's own right is surely a sort of mental health problem.

There's a saying 'it takes a lot of hard work to stay the same' and I really feel like some of the people I know are refusing to recover or change no matter how much help they're offered. It's really frustrating but again, surely it's a mental health problem in it's own right? That they can't see anything different, they're so limited?
    Forum Member
    Why/how did Jerky have a horrible childhood?
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean. But I do think people get trapped in their surroundings and don't have the tools to break out. Having no pride in your appearance is a problem in its own right no matter what angle you look at it from. I also know people who are proud to not take any help offered to them, feel it essential to stay the same, enjoy being viewed as 'scum' / 'lowlifes' and I agree it's annoying but even that in it's own right is surely a sort of mental health problem.

There's a saying 'it takes a lot of hard work to stay the same' and I really feel like some of the people I know are refusing to recover or change no matter how much help they're offered. It's really frustrating but again, surely it's a mental health problem in it's own right? That they can't see anything different, they're so limited?

Okay, put like that I can see what you're saying and I do agree with you.

Obviously JK is taking advtange of these people anyway in some way, even if just by getting them on when they are clearly not articulate enough to defend themselves in front of a jeering studio audience.

He does treat it all like a circus freakshow and that in itself is sickening.
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why/how did Jerky have a horrible childhood?

It's not clearly documented but apparently he became addicted to slot machines and gambling at a young age, he has a brother who was / is a heroin addict and his sister or sister-in-law was so severely anorexic she went below 5 stone and was admitted in hospital. There was also very acrimonious publications from his ex wife / mother of his children which got banned / removed from publication when he paid her off (allegedly). He did used to talk about these things when he first went on air but now he doesn't mention them anymore. I personally think it's the tip of the iceberg.

Healthy, happy, emotionally stable people with good parents don't have heroin addicts, gamblers, and anorexics in their immediate family. No offence to anyone who does. My family is very dysfunctional and I can spot a person in denial at 500 paces. It would be interesting to know the full story of Jerky's background.
    Forum Member
    I think Jerky might have quite a few skeletons in that closet of his if anyone dug a bit deeper.
    Forum Member
    Okay, put like that I can see what you're saying and I do agree with you.

Obviously JK is taking advtange of these people anyway in some way, even if just by getting them on when they are clearly not articulate enough to defend themselves in front of a jeering studio audience.

He does treat it all like a circus freakshow and that in itself is sickening.

yeah, exactly.

The thing I don't understand is how the broadcasting company allow it - is it ITV? When I worked in commercial TV they wouldn't have let it through the net.
    Forum Member
    I don't know how it's legally allowed either, or how anybody hasn't sued the show yet especially in the sue happy culture we're living in. I think anyone who sued JK should actually have a fair case.
    Forum Member
    He screams at people who are addicted to gambling and yet HE was also addicted to gambling and his show is sponsored by Foxy Bingo?! :confused: