• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    I had never noticed ! Thanks !

Check out when he looks at his hand when he's about to regenerate in TPOTW
  • BrendonBrendon Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    i really like this costume but i dont know why. the only slight problem is the bow tie should really be self tie it would look better, but i suppose clip on better fro filming and continuity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    From the official BBC Dr Who site:

"His new costume comprises black boots, dark trousers, a smart shirt and bow tie with a light brown jacket completing the ensemble. It says adventure. It says laid back cool. It says Time Lord chic and we're loving it!"

I think this confirms this is it, no surprises forthcoming.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, does not stand out. What about Eccleston or Tennant. Their costumes did not really stand out either. Or did they :confused:
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will have been plenty of 'proper' promo shots made before any actual filming starts.

But like you I do think it is strange that this 'pap' shot has been used and not an 'staged' one.

Wonder if there is any truth to the rumour that the outside of the TARDIS has changed as it usually features in the promo shots?
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Wonder if there is any truth to the rumour that the outside of the TARDIS has changed as it usually features in the promo shots?

I would be suprised if it were a complete change, i.e no longer a police box.

Maybe it is still a police box but, as as happened in Who over the years, has changed in it's specs.

As for not using a police box..no way.:eek::)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I did hear they were supposed to redoing the Tardis inside and out. Clearly it isn't ready yet. Either that, or they deliberately planned on unveiling it another day? Twice the publicity...
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, today is the first day of filming? Maybe doing a promo shot streight away would've been too much of a hassle. Eventually they'll probably randomly set up a grey screen and get them to stand in front of it, but in the mean time, they have a job to do.

I wonder if we'd get any details on episodes in the near future?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like it - seems 'doctorish' to me :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    Hey Moffat, Rupert Giles called. He wants his outfit back.

George Mcfly also rang to find out where he could get such a cooool outfit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    He looks like a Geography teacher.

Actually, my first thought was History teacher, which may not be a bad disguise for a Time Lord! Though I rather liked the 10th Doctor trying to teach Physics.

I think it's a good look, emphasises the Doctor's age rather than the youth of the actor, looks a little eccentric without standing out too much. I hope there's some variety in it though, as it seems a little bland and washed out- needs a splash of colour, or black edging/a darker bow tie or something to add a little definition. Though I wouldn't be too upset if this was it. Like the OTT hair, it gives a nice edge to the look, hope he doesn't wear it too slicked down all the time.

As for the idea that he's undercover as a professor- a possibility, but not in the modern day- most professors wear whatever they feel like, and I don't know many who would go for the elbow patches and bow tie when they can get away with jeans and a semi smart shirt or even a tshirt. There's the odd one of course, but those who choose to do the eccentric professor thing usually look far weirder than that.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has a scarf and coat to go with as well.
  • BrendonBrendon Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    krisl wrote: »
    From the official BBC Dr Who site:

"His new costume comprises black boots, dark trousers, a smart shirt and bow tie with a light brown jacket completing the ensemble. It says adventure. It says laid back cool. It says Time Lord chic and we're loving it!"

I think this confirms this is it, no surprises forthcoming.

he also wears braces as seen some some pics
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought his outfit would be quirky, rather than old fashioned. Not too sure about it at the minute!
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looks like his mum dressed him to go to his Granddad's funeral.... in his Granddad's cast offs.

But still, I'll reserve full judgement until I see the 'New adventures of Jimmy Olsen in space' myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    How sad is it for a doctor who fan when i think that this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1TC1Xyvy4Ok/SGXMB-RgPFI/AAAAAAAAArM/THN42Iz9oZc/s320/napoleon-dynamite.jpg

is a cooler outfit than Matt SMith's....
  • davros's chairdavros's chair Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Looks very Troughton-esque. The shots from day one of filming really show it in a much better light than the publicity shot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Ive got it!!!

The Doctor is dressed as Mr Magica!!
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Go To The Sun's Website And Search! They Have Changed The Oputside Of The Tardis!!!! (its In A Slideshow Of Stuff About The New Costume!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    When i first saw the costume i was abit disappointed. I love Tennants outfit but Morffat did say he wanted to go for a more older doctor which is why they have chose this costume. But looking at the slide show on the sun, On the 3rd pic he really does look the part an so does the outfit. Reminds me of a cross between Patrick troughton and Paul Mccgan.

I will miss tennant. I loved him as the doctor but i do believe matt smith will be just as great :)

Also with a new tardis look and a new interior will we be seeing a new title screen? :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    And Damn Amy pond is hot! ;)
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Interesting everyone else seems to think it makes him look older. To me he looks like a child dressed by his mum, apart from the boots. Still, I'll keep an open mind till we see him moving around.

Could agree more. It makes him look like a boy whose grabbed his (out-dated) father's clothes - like it's deliberately trying to be quirky and just looks daft instead. I can't believe it's being referred to geek-chic in some papers - they've got to be kidding - it just looks geeky. I know the Doctor always had a quirky fashion sense but I think what worked so well in the new series was they toned it down enough that you didn't feel daft watching it - the kind of costumes that worked in the past would have just been dimishing to the (generally) great storytelling in the new series - and that's what I think about MS's outfit - I'd just be watching thinking he looks ridiculous rather than enjoying the great drama.

I've been struggling to keep an open mind since the casting was announced. I knew I'd be resistant since I enjoyed DT's time so much and I wasn't surprised when my initial thoughts were negative when I saw MS and I kept telling myself I might feel different come 2010 - but I'm definitely leaning towards not watching it now :(. He just doesn't appear to have the same presence DT has and it seems like it's taking steps backwards rather than forwards. Man, I miss DT and DW already :(.
  • Cameron KMcEwanCameron KMcEwan Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some more pix from yesterday's filming here:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2009/07/series-5-more-filming-pix.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Check out when he looks at his hand when he's about to regenerate in TPOTW

Did David wear the watch after the regeneration, or did that disappear?
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    Could agree more. It makes him look like a boy whose grabbed his (out-dated) father's clothes - like it's deliberately trying to be quirky and just looks daft instead. I can't believe it's being referred to geek-chic in some papers - they've got to be kidding - it just looks geeky. I know the Doctor always had a quirky fashion sense but I think what worked so well in the new series was they toned it down enough that you didn't feel daft watching it - the kind of costumes that worked in the past would have just been dimishing to the (generally) great storytelling in the new series - and that's what I think about MS's outfit - I'd just be watching thinking he looks ridiculous rather than enjoying the great drama.

I've been struggling to keep an open mind since the casting was announced. I knew I'd be resistant since I enjoyed DT's time so much and I wasn't surprised when my initial thoughts were negative when I saw MS and I kept telling myself I might feel different come 2010 - but I'm definitely leaning towards not watching it now :(. He just doesn't appear to have the same presence DT has and it seems like it's taking steps backwards rather than forwards. Man, I miss DT and DW already :(.

you need to actually watch it to make a fair judgement. I personally didn't like DT's doctor too much, hated the accent (hes got a lovely scottish accent, just use that) and found it a bit too silly. This guy is a great actor, I think he'll surprise you.