Why do no horror films scare me?

2»

Comments

• renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Think you have to tell the difference between shocks and scares, movies now just go for the shocks instead of genuinley trying to scare people (this takes more work lol). when i was young I used to find the omen films scary because i believed in the bible and thought it would all come true, lol. Jaws scared me, when the head pops out the boat (again probably was too young to watch it) though it was Salems lot on tv which spooked me the most, had to sleep with light on for years after watching that lol, now I can't get enough vampires an stuff like that.
    N.B. not the teen sparkley we can walk in the day and have issues sort of crap tho! lol
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    renno69 wrote: »
    Think you have to tell the difference between shocks and scares, movies now just go for the shocks instead of genuinley trying to scare people (this takes more work lol). when i was young I used to find the omen films scary because i believed in the bible and thought it would all come true, lol. Jaws scared me, when the head pops out the boat (again probably was too young to watch it) though it was Salems lot on tv which spooked me the most, had to sleep with light on for years after watching that lol, now I can't get enough vampires an stuff like that.
    N.B. not the teen sparkley we can walk in the day and have issues sort of crap tho! lol

All the films you mentioned still scare me!! I still can't watch Jaws properly, lol! And yes I know it's a fake shark, but because it is such a good film and the shark is hidden for so long that's what makes it scary when it does appear. I can't even get a bath after watching Jaws!!! I also agree with you about modern teen crap. Dawsons Creek with a monster/slasher killer basically. And the fact that most of these films seem to be aimed at teenagers means they are a 15 certificate, which is usually a sure sign of crapness!
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good horror film is one where there isn't actually any horror - just implied horror.

I too dislike ghost & horror films and slasher movies. However "The Human Centipede" disturbed me more than any gory horror movie.
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    You should try some of the new wave French horror movies of the last few years.For example,I wouldn't call Ills scary in the conventional sense but more terrifying in a mess with your head kind of way.They can even make gore movies quite scary in France I:o find
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    Horror films don't scare me now but I put it down to getting older. I remember my parents scoffing, at what I thought was great, when I was younger. Now I hate modern horror. Though I still love the chills, when watching the stuff that scared me and still does lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think last horror film that has me a little scrared/squeamish was Dream Warriors. Was that the one with the pencil through the ear?

That's Freddy's Dead, not Dream Warriors :)

(Dream Warriors is a faaaarrr superior film btw)

The Strangers always scared me but I'm not sure why 'cos it's not even that good. The first horror film I ever saw was Halloween 5 and that terrified me. It still sort of does, especially the first few scenes when the little girl has the fit in the bed and then towards the end when she gets trapped in the chute.

I think the problem with modern horror films is down to modern audiences. Stuff like Halloween and The Exorcist doesn't seem to keep new audiences anywhere near as gripped as they it used to because young audiences have become so accustomed to violence and gore and gratuitous sex scenes (I know I'm generalising but still...) and so the horror industry makes films to try and accomodate that. It's part of the reason why they make SO many remakes of classic horror films, none of which are ever anywhere near as good. As a 20 year old, it still pees me off so much that when I say to my mates that I love Halloween or A Nightmare On Elm Street, they assume I'm talking about the remakes :mad:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    j.jay691 wrote: »
    That's Freddy's Dead, not Dream Warriors :)

(Dream Warriors is a faaaarrr superior film btw)

The first horror film I ever saw was Halloween 5 and that terrified me. It still sort of does, especially the first few scenes when

I remember one of my first scary moments was in a Halloween film I think. It's where snakes came out of a pumkin and the pumpkin was someones head????
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I remember one of my first scary moments was in a Halloween film I think. It's where snakes came out of a pumkin and the pumpkin was someones head????

That's Halloween 3 Season of the Witch.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Try these:

Ring (Japanese version)
    Rec (Spanish version)
    Salem's Lot
    Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
    Candyman
    Romper Stomper
    Dawn of the Dead (remake)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
    Bundy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It's because horror film writers think it's a good idea to be in your face and show you the "evil" instead of leaving it up to you. Horror isn't just about "BOO" and you jump in your seat. It's about psychologically disturbing you (just a little!) and films don't care about that. They prefer to get a few women screaming so they can spread the word and say it's the scariest film they've seen.

A recent example is Insidious. It started off pretty creepy, but then got silly by showing us too much. It completely spoiled it.
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    That's Halloween 3 Season of the Witch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horror films dont scare me at all to be honest (but if people can name some that genuinely are feel free) :D.
    It's not a horror but the last movie that truly disturbed me was The Killer Inside Me.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good horror movie ought to make you feel unsettled and creeped out, so often less is more, although it's an old cliché. A door creaking open by itself or a shadow moving across a wall or a chair moving a few inches across a room (preferably behind the protagonist, who hasn't noticed) is far more effective than the tired old shock tactics of a cat jumping out at the screen or closing the bathroom cabinet and finding someone standing behind you in the mirror.

Movies can be gory and disturbing but not necessarily horrific in the sense that you feel properly scared. Being scared is more about fear of the unknown than the shock of actually seeing the thing that frightens you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I can remember going to see The Shining with a few friends (female) who were terrified- I found it so funny compared to the book J Nicholson was so over the top!! and as for the exterminator lol I prefer a good psychological thriller/ horror film Note to film makers gore is just gore not scary
    Forum Member
    I wached Saw 6 last night and the opening scene with the girl chopping her arm off and the expression on her face is priceless :D
    Comedy gold!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I've never yet seen a film that even slightly scares me, including The Exorcist and anything else you can name.

try an old one that gives me the creeps 'Peep show' can't remember the year though old ones are the best usually pre 1980's the settings, the mood music everthing works in harmony not like the disjointed crap we get now so transparent and predictable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    best sci-fi/horror i ever was cube good suspense great gore never seen it repeated
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    also most are becoming prodictable and so you not care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    best sci-fi/horror i ever was cube good suspense great gore never seen it repeated

oh yes..i love that film (s) when
    he gets cut in half in that first scene was good
    :D