Options

Last Angel Standing

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One weeping Angel is one too many. Classic rule of sci fi. You leave one egg, hatchling whatever alive they come back. Angel left in that cemetery could create another army. Doctor and River should have made sure they destroyed it.
Otherwise that thing will put other innocent people through the loss they just suffered. Allways something or someone up to no good. Least in part 2 he will have Clara and Kate Stewart to help him fight the "endless bitter war".

Comments

• Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was ever stated that the Angels in New York were the last remaining Angels. I think we're supposed to believe that they are a constant threat in the universe and there are always weeping angels, everywhere. Not every statue is an angel, but any statue COULD be an Angel.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same could be said about every hostile alien race.

The Doctor cheerfully departed from the all powerful Dalek empire in episode one, singing and dancing.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I don't think it was ever stated that the Angels in New York were the last remaining Angels. I think we're supposed to believe that they are a constant threat in the universe and there are always weeping angels, everywhere. Not every statue is an angel, but any statue COULD be an Angel.
    I don't think she means that it was the last Angel ever, but it was the last Angel in New York. Given that they were apparently reproducing and replacing statues, they could do the same thing all over again. They are still an active threat in New York, and the Doctor waltzed off without doing anything about it.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Sometimes it is necessary not to try and destroy every single being in a race, however hostile. The real Doctor in Journey's end was horrified at what 10.5 did to the Daleks. Compare that to the 9th Doctor whou would have cheerfully destroyed them all. And technically it isn't the Angels' fault. They need time energy to live.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    They need time energy to live.

I guess it's not their fault. Still, have they ever tried having a nice cheese toastie?
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And technically it isn't the Angels' fault. They need time energy to live.

Apparently they're fine with leaking radiation (as per Flesh and Stone) so assuming they understand the quality of their actions really they should just go and live happily on a planet with high background radiation.

Even if that isn't an option, keeping people locked up as per The Angels Take Manhattan is battery farming — a topic not well suited to this forum but which I think it isn't controversial to say society finds morally problematic.

If they're not aware of the meaning of their actions then I guess they're not really culpable.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Quite a few posts in this thread really remind me of something I thought about a month ago - the angels need THEIR story. Blink was a novelty that had to build up and sustain interest with Sally Sparrow, The Time of Angels was close but also featured the returning River Song, and then all hope was scuppered in Flesh and Stone when the plot deviated onto the crack in the wall. And then The Angels Take Manhattan is all about the departure of Amy and Rory.

The Angels are somewhat treated as the icing on the cake - they're used to make significant concepts even more significant. If they are to last then they really need a story that somehow looks into them as a species in some more detail, without damaging their mystery. I always hoped for a two-part series finale featuring the Angels...maybe Series 8 or 9? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few posts in this thread really remind me of something I thought about a month ago - the angels need THEIR story. Blink was a novelty that had to build up and sustain interest with Sally Sparrow, The Time of Angels was close but also featured the returning River Song, and then all hope was scuppered in Flesh and Stone when the plot deviated onto the crack in the wall. And then The Angels Take Manhattan is all about the departure of Amy and Rory.

The Angels are somewhat treated as the icing on the cake - they're used to make significant concepts even more significant. If they are to last then they really need a story that somehow looks into them as a species in some more detail, without damaging their mystery. I always hoped for a two-part series finale featuring the Angels...maybe Series 8 or 9? :D
    I agree. We need to know more about them.