Car Problem - Peugeot 206 overheating

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raptorz wrote: »
    Had another temp sensor changed today and its STILL doing it.

Have now been told it could be the fan resistance something something...? All fuses have been checked and so have the relays so they are not the problem.

Im really starting to lose hope now.

Does anyone know if the 206 has 2 speeds for the cooling fan? I notice it comes on like crazy when the gauge reaches the red but I never hear it any other time. Surely the fan should come on if its starting to get hot to stop it reaching the red in the first place, and would I be able to notice this if I was stationary?

I never noticed my gauge going much above 80 before this problem, now it sits at 90 and jumps into the red all the time

Nope, no 2 speed cooling fan, it's either on or off; when it turns on, and how long it stays on for, is controlled by the temp sensors, and that usually happens near to, or on, the temp gauge redline.

I notice you still haven't mentioned that your mechanic has done a coolant system pressure check or gas analysis; knowing that 206s have a history of head gasket failure, I would've done this after replacing the radiator and curing the obvious leak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hen wrote: »
    Hi, had the same problem once with my 206 - horrid car ;) - after many tests and replacement bits and pieces, a mechanic told me that he too had done everything to stop his over heating, but the problem he found was the air intake for the engine is positioned in exactly the right place to intake the hot exhaust fumes from the car in front..... therefore over heating in traffic, and cooling when driving.....

not sure how true it is, but i never over heated when i was at the front of the queue! :D

That would make sense to why it overheats in traffic but it does it when it sat outside my house after a drive and I leave the engine running so it must be something else too.
    Rebel MC wrote: »
    Nope, no 2 speed cooling fan, it's either on or off; when it turns on, and how long it stays on for, is controlled by the temp sensors, and that usually happens near to, or on, the temp gauge redline.

I notice you still haven't mentioned that your mechanic has done a coolant system pressure check or gas analysis; knowing that 206s have a history of head gasket failure, I would've done this after replacing the radiator and curing the obvious leak.

That would explain why the fan only cuts in when it reaches the red then. the temperature gauge hovers around the 90-100 mark and then I hear the fan cut in and then it jumps into the red. The fan then cuts out and the level drops back down to the 90ish mark again. Im assuming there is a small delay in the reading coming through to the display in why the fan cuts in slightly before it jumps into the red and cuts out slightly before it drops again but I guess I could be wrong.

I am going to see my mechanic again tomorrow so I will mention about the pressure / head gasket thing, I just dont like telling them what to do as if he wouldnt already know!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

The fan seems to kick in before the guage starts moving up to the red, it seems to be the cause of the fan hitting the red. ie gauge at temp 90, fan kicks in, gauge moves into red, fan stops, gauge comes back down to 90. Ive been told the steam I had coming from under the bonnet was the new radiator working in as since then it hasnt been steaming at all. Also been told that they think its not actually getting that hot but its an electrical fault. (was told fan resistance??? but not really sure what that is).

Engine is fine, no problems there been told by mechanic today when I asked about that so that rules out head gasket.
  • COAXCOAX Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i suppose it could be a faulty gauge or some other electrical problem. My mum had a rover 214 and i drove it once and the gauge went to red for no reason and back down again :confused:. Only did it once and never actually overheated. My 406 sits on just below 80c and 90-100c in traffic with the fans coming on when nearing 100c. If i say get in the car at home with the engine cold (or hot, doesn't matter) and turn the ignition to the on position (1 before the starter) and then back to the 1st (radio on) position. The fans will come on even though its not even started. Strange.
    When the gauge is in the red, if you open the bonnet and feel the top of the engine where you put the oil in (maybe the radiator, you could burn yourself tho) then it shouldn't be too hot to touch if its not actually overheating. This is how i used to make sure that my old citroen ax wasn't running too hot (it never had a temp gauge and i didn't trust it- the cooling system was knackered).
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they tested the temperature sender for the temp gauge then?

You said there was allot of steam coming from under the bonnet after you had the new radiator fitted. That shouldn't happen so where was that coming from?

The coolant system for a car is simple, so they should be able to pin point it easily.

I would seriously consider taking it somewhere else for a second opinion as where your going now don't seem to be up to the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    Have they tested the temperature sender for the temp gauge then?

You said there was allot of steam coming from under the bonnet after you had the new radiator fitted. That shouldn't happen so where was that coming from?

The coolant system for a car is simple, so they should be able to pin point it easily.

I would seriously consider taking it somewhere else for a second opinion as where your going now don't seem to be up to the job.

The temperature sender has been replaced. The steam was coming from the new radiator, could see it coming out. I was told this was because it was working in as I drove it on a longish drive the same day it was fitted. Since then its not been steaming at all so that does fit in with what I was told.

The crazy thing is I do have an after sales warranty on the car but they said they wont cover the radiator because it wasnt a mechanical fault but was caused by a stone and they wont cover anything that is replaced unless that is the underlying problem. So the sensors I had replaced they wont cover because I am still having the problem so by their logic they must have been fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raptorz wrote: »
    Update:

The fan seems to kick in before the guage starts moving up to the red, it seems to be the cause of the fan hitting the red. ie gauge at temp 90, fan kicks in, gauge moves into red, fan stops, gauge comes back down to 90. Ive been told the steam I had coming from under the bonnet was the new radiator working in as since then it hasnt been steaming at all. Also been told that they think its not actually getting that hot but its an electrical fault. (was told fan resistance??? but not really sure what that is).

Engine is fine, no problems there been told by mechanic today when I asked about that so that rules out head gasket.

Seems to me the mechanic is saying that the fan motor is generating the wrong level of electrical resistance and that's causing the temp gauge to fluctuate in the wrong direction.

Assuming all the componants that tell the gauge what to say have now been replaced, and that the mechanic has tested the engine temperature and found it to be correct, then that seems a plausible diagnosis.

I have to say though, I'm still slightly concerned that your car is consistantly getting hot enough to make the fan cut in; with the ambiant temperatures we've had recently, I haven't once had a fan cut in on any car I've been driving, unless you spend all your time sitting in heavy traffic.

In fact, we were testing a car for a suspected cooling problem at our place today and we had to leave it running for 45 minutes before the fan activated.

I suppose there's only really two things left to replace, the fan motor and the gauge itself, I would go for the fan myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hello, Trust Me Friend The Problem Is Your Ecu, It's Quite Complicated If You're Not Tecnically Minded But I Will Explain In Detail Soon, Contact Your Mechanic And Tell Him What I've Said Ok? If He Can Scratch On Diagnostics Ie: Verus, Modis Or Delphi Etc.. It Will Lead Him In The Right Direction!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hey. I have the exact same problem. Did you get to the bottom of it?