• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard this show, I might give it a go now though
  • johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard this show, I might give it a go now though

well woth a listen Arthur. The current show on Iplayer had quite a bit of Harry James, some Diana Krall and some Johnny Mercer amongst much more.
    This coming Saturday Paul is doing his Johnny Mercer Centenary show.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p0050wt9
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    Wrong Scott!
    Paul picked up 2 new stations with the move, BBC Kent & 3 Counties. It is more than likely he has picked up listeners since Saturday early evening is a busy time for social activities.

Then why are you complaining that Paul Barnes has been moved to a later slot? I am confused here! :confused:
    Its presenter has 40 years broadcasting experience with the BBC on national and regional radio. What's more he knows his subject inside out.

Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker, Keith Skews, Dave Lee Travis, Jimmy Savile etc have the same broadcasting experience as Paul Barnes. They are more than likely popular than Barnes.

Did Paul ever present on Radios 1 and 2?
    If Radio 2's management had an ounce of common sense, it would immediately approach him to present the Sunday 10PM slot as he would be one of the very few qualified to fill the very big gap left by Malcolm Laycock.

That will not happen because he is not a celebrity, hence why Clare Teal got the job. John Wright has recently praised Clare and her playlist.
    I wouldn't rely on quoting Lesley Douglas to make your arguement. She showed complete lack of judgement over the disgraceful Ross / Brand fiasco and her actions over the musical side of radio 2 were equally inept.

Your assertion that core daytime audiences were alienated by Desmond Carrington does not hold water. I was one such listener who is now alienated by what is offered currently.

It's not really my assertion that Desmond Carrington was unpopular on Sunday lunchtimes - it was Lesley Douglas who stated this in September 2004. She appeared on Radio 4's Feedback programme in response to listeners' complaints about Radio 2's new weekend schedule.

Pick of the Pops was 'rested' (a term Lesley used) and replaced with Dermot O'Leary. Listeners complained.

Bob Harris lost 30 minutes of his Saturday night show. Listeners complained.

Helen Mayhew was introduced early on Sunday mornings presenting a jazz programme. Listeners complained.

Desmond Carrington was moved to Tuesday nights and replaced with Elaine Paige. Listeners complained.

Russell Davies' show was reduced from 2 hours to an hour. Listeners complained.

Lulu presented a new 'best of songwriting and pop songs' show in place of Russell Davies' show. Listeners complained.

I remember Lesley Douglas defending the schedule changes and giving reasons why she made the changes. Lesley said that the Sunday afternoon schedule alienated the core daytime audience who tuned in from Monday to Saturday.

One listener described Sunday afternoons on Radio 2 as "dull and bland". Lesley agreed with the listeners' sentiments and said this is why Elaine Paige was introduced (because Radio 2 listeners had always been lovers of stage, screen and musicals). This genre was dropped by Jim Moir in the late Nineties, and Lesley said that Elaine Paige would compensate the loss of Desmond Carrington.

Lesley also went on to defend the introduction of Lulu to Sunday afternoons, though Lulu was axed a year later due to poor ratings and audience feedback, hence the reintroduction of Pick of the Pops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well woth a listen Arthur. The current show on Iplayer had quite a bit of Harry James, some Diana Krall and some Johnny Mercer amongst much more.
    This coming Saturday Paul is doing his Johnny Mercer Centenary show.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p0050wt9

Good stuff, Diana Krall is wonderful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why are you complaining that Paul Barnes has been moved to a later slot? I am confused here! :confused:
    I'm not aware that I am complaining. In fact it suits me better that Paul is on at that time as I often listen when on the way home from a gig.

Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker, Keith Skews, Dave Lee Travis, Jimmy Savile etc have the same broadcasting experience as Paul Barnes. They are more than likely popular than Barnes.

Did Paul ever present on Radios 1 and 2?
    You are not comparing like with like. None of the above have the detailed expert knowledge on jazz and popular as opposed to 'pop' music - Paul has.
    I don't know if he has been on Radio 2, but he was on Radio 4 in a variety of different shows. Radio 1 would hardly be relevant.

That will not happen because he is not a celebrity, hence why Clare Teal got the job. John Wright has recently praised Clare and her playlist.
    Clare is hardly a celebrity. She is a singer, primarily.
    Just where did john Wright praise her playlist?

It's not really my assertion that Desmond Carrington was unpopular on Sunday lunchtimes - it was Lesley Douglas who stated this in September 2004. She appeared on Radio 4's Feedback programme in response to listeners' complaints about Radio 2's new weekend schedule.

Pick of the Pops was 'rested' (a term Lesley used) and replaced with Dermot O'Leary. Listeners complained.

Bob Harris lost 30 minutes of his Saturday night show. Listeners complained.

Helen Mayhew was introduced early on Sunday mornings presenting a jazz programme. Listeners complained.

Desmond Carrington was moved to Tuesday nights and replaced with Elaine Paige. Listeners complained.

Russell Davies' show was reduced from 2 hours to an hour. Listeners complained.

Lulu presented a new 'best of songwriting and pop songs' show in place of Russell Davies' show. Listeners complained.

I remember Lesley Douglas defending the schedule changes and giving reasons why she made the changes. Lesley said that the Sunday afternoon schedule alienated the core daytime audience who tuned in from Monday to Saturday.

One listener described Sunday afternoons on Radio 2 as "dull and bland". Lesley agreed with the listeners' sentiments and said this is why Elaine Paige was introduced (because Radio 2 listeners had always been lovers of stage, screen and musicals). This genre was dropped by Jim Moir in the late Nineties, and Lesley said that Elaine Paige would compensate the loss of Desmond Carrington.

Lesley also went on to defend the introduction of Lulu to Sunday afternoons, though Lulu was axed a year later due to poor ratings and audience feedback, hence the reintroduction of Pick of the Pops.

Again you are using the example of a Radio 2 controller who had to resign. Could that 'one listener' who described Radio 2 on Sunday afternoons as 'dull and bland' possibly have been you?

Sunday afternoons before Lesley Douglas were worth listening too, now they are not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get it to play Jon, I will try later

(Were you the Jon Peters bidding on the Evans auction before?:D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get it to play Jon, I will try later

(Were you the Jon Peters bidding on the Evans auction before?:D)

Hi Arthur, I've just got an unavilable message also. i'll let Paul know. It was working earlier this week.
    No not guilty I'm a Petters with 2 't's
    Cheers
    John
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,748
    Administrator
    A number of off-topic and disrespectful posts have been removed from this thread. Please refer to our terms and conditions to see what is/is not acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear, what's been going on here then?

It's working now John, I have it on now:)
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be blunt but age does play a part in programming decisions. I had a long spell in front of the mic every day for 10 years on BBC regional radio a couple of decades ago. When I hit 40 it was time to move behind the scenes to management and later tv news. I'm now 59 (and retired) and there is no way I would hire a 59 year old presenter for a major strand.

Programmes after 7.00pm go right of the bottom of the scale through lack of people tuning in.

If Paul really wants to connect with a dedicated band of listeners then we have internet radio with a potential global audience.

However the sad truth is old presenters such as DLT have to accept to fade away and make room for the next generation.

We are now at the stage where we have a lot of OAP's who were once daily names on the radio.:sleep: