Eamonn Holmes Quits Health Lottery

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Eamonn Holmes has been forced to stand down as presenter of the Health Lottery draws because of a possible conflict of interest with his role as a Sky News presenter.Holmes will be replaced by Melinda Messenger according to today's Daily Express. Holmes was due to have presented the draw, to be screened on ITV and C5. The lottery has come under heavy criticism because of the relatively small sums of money it will give to the NHS.

www.express.co.uk

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Oh dear... I'm not a big Holmes fan but I can't stand Melinda Messenger either. I have one solution - I won't watch! I don't get the conflict of interest bit though. Is it to do with his programme schedules? :confused:
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Messenger? Oh dear.
    Forum Member
    I couldn't stand Melinda Messenger when she was on Dancing on Ice in 2009. I'm gonna vote with my remote and not watch :D
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eamonn Holmes was fronting the Health Lottery? Was Shaun Ryder unavailable?
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    Surely Joe Swash was free?

Rather entertaining how that's two new shows where the host has quit having been announced and paraded around, OKTV being the previous one.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possible conflict of interest with his role as a Sky News presenter my bum. Didn't stop him hosting National Lottery shows for the BBC.

More likely he's realised who and what he's got involved with and is getting out before his career is damaged further.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the conflict of interest bit though. Is it to do with his programme schedules? :confused:

Most likely due to the ongoing story about it in the news. Eamonn can't really be critical of it on Sky News and then go and present it.
    Forum Member
    Minion wrote: »
    Most likely due to the ongoing story about it in the news. Eamonn can't really be critical of it on Sky News and then go and present it.

Well that would be a bit hypocritical. It would be like me criticising the workshops and stuff the Apple Stores offer and then going and doing one.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    I think the Sky News angle was a get out....I'm sure Eamonn has dealt with features on This Morning that have been news items on Sky.

When the lottery launched his mug was on the front page of the Daily Star as if he was endorsing the product, he seemed to cringe on air being seen as supporting Desmond's money making scheme.

He and his agent probably just saw it as another presenting job rather than endorsing the product.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Lol at the conspiracy theories. He spoke at length about it on the radio yesterday and was very supportive of it.

He had to quit because of Sky News. This draw unlike the BBC's takes place during commercial breaks.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=ftv;53300972Holmes will be replaced by Melinda Messenger[/QUOTE]

Presumably a cheaper presenter too,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I would worry,This is I.T.V so time to roll out the x factor contestants and judges,even simon cowell will probably make an appearance!:rolleyes: