Options

Burial plot mistake.

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone said in the story, instead of creating more upset for the murdered mans family by digging him up, wouldn't it be easier for the womans husband to be moved when the woman dies?
  • Options
    TolstoyTolstoy Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old lady is entitled to her plot as it was all agreed beforehand. As much as I can sympathise with the family of the murder victim wishing him to finally rest in peace and not be exhumed and reburied, it's the right decision in my opinion.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the old lady not be put 'on top of' her husband ? I thought that was pretty standard....
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Could the old lady not be put 'on top of' her husband ? I thought that was pretty standard....

I was thinking that too. Certainly seems to be common in my local cemetary - often see two or even 3 names on a headstone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a horrible mistake to make, the Rev must be tormented on what to do. No easy fix because one side is going to be upset whatever happens.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I think the body should be moved, although it will be upsetting for the murder victims family, the lady reserved the plot.
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a mistake and that is what should be rectified not accommodated.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave Daniel Hastelow's body where it is. I'm more concerned about upsetting the living than the dead.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    I was thinking that too. Certainly seems to be common in my local cemetary - often see two or even 3 names on a headstone.

Depends on the depth he is buried at. The depth he is buried at would have depended on the possible depth at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Leave Daniel Hastelow's body where it is. I'm more concerned about upsetting the living than the dead.

The old lady is still living, though....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It says in the article at the bottom that double depth graves are not allowed there due to high water table.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the depth he is buried at. The depth he is buried at would have depended on the possible depth at the time.

Actually I just re-read the article and it does say at the bottom that double depth burials arent possible at that site due to the high water table.

edit: Snap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now I've re-read the article, there appears to be some issue with double-depth graves because of the high water table.....:D
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »

:confused: Well the widow is still alive and Daniel has been put in plot earmarked for her.
  • Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sidsgirl wrote: »
    :confused: Well the widow is still alive and Daniel has been put in plot earmarked for her.

I think adopter means move the widow's husband instead, when she dies, and bury them together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigfeet wrote: »
    I think adopter means move the widow's husband instead, when she dies, and bury them together.

But that still has the potential to upset her when she is alive (and presumably any children they may have)....

It is unfortunate but I'd still go for moving the recent burial...
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that still has the potential to upset her when she is alive (and presumably any children they may have)....

Yes - I agree with you - sad for his family, but it's him who's in the wrong plot (although not his/their fault I know).
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    As someone said in the story, instead of creating more upset for the murdered mans family by digging him up, wouldn't it be easier for the womans husband to be moved when the woman dies?

Yes.... cos that wouldn't be upsetting to their 5 children and granchildren nor to the widow whilst she visits his grave which she has arranged and paid for for the next 20 or 30 years and which she knows he would be turfed out of any day....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.... cos that wouldn't be upsetting to their 5 children and granchildren nor to the widow whilst she visits his grave which she has arranged and paid for for the next 20 or 30 years and which she knows he would be turfed out of any day....:rolleyes:

Yes - there is that too, I agree - for the poor widow this would cause her lifelong turmoil, but the other solution - ie move the murdered man - would avoid that situation.
  • Options
    TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough one this, but at end of day she reserved it and someone messed up so they need to fix it and maybe then mark the spot somehow so the same mistakes not made again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    She reserved it, it should rightfully be hers. A mistake was made and it is up to the church to rectify it, not expect the widow to accommodate it.