Betacam Help

I have a Betacam Recorder I need to connect to a DVD recorder. But I have never done this before so if anyone can provide any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to use an BNC to RCA cable for the video, and a XLR to RCA cable for the audio outputs. Does anyone know if I could encounter any problems with connecting this to a DVD recorder.

Thank-You in advanced.

Comments

• banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a 2nd hand Betacam player a few years back to copy over to DVD. I used the s-video cable for video and standard RCA cable for the audio. Worked a treat and used a Panasonic DVD recorder.

PC capture cards can do similar thing and you can edit the video and sound if needs be depending on what you want to do with your project.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you're proposing will work. It's just a shame to throw away the benefit of Betacam's component image by using composite video. Even S-video would be a massive step up.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I have a Betacam Recorder I need to connect to a DVD recorder. But I have never done this before so if anyone can provide any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to use an BNC to RCA cable for the video, and a XLR to RCA cable for the audio outputs. Does anyone know if I could encounter any problems with connecting this to a DVD recorder.

Thank-You in advanced.
    You need to be careful connecting balanced and unbalanced kit together. I have known unbalanced outputs that protest mightily if you unbalance them by shorting one leg to ground.

And there is also the issue of levels to consider. A pro balanced output is likely to be at least 10db (possibly more) higher in level than a consumer unbalanced input. This might be enough to drive the DVD recorder input into overload producing distortion of the audio.

That is why if I was doing it "properly" I would use something like this between the Betacam and DVD to sort out the interface.