Options

BBC mediocre and amateurish.

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
Criticism of BBC sport coverage.
"It’s been a bit Alan Partridge’: Ex-BBC legend Lynam savages coverage."
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/t-bit-alan-partridge-ex-bbc-legend-lynam-131043833.html

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    If that's the case, why did he regret leaving for ITV?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a26618/des-lynam-regrets-move-to-itv.html
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Havent had a thread like this for a while...
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havent had a thread like this for a while...

Well, at least an hour.

The trolls really need to try harder....
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Well, at least an hour.

The trolls really need to try harder....

It's a news article from today, directly relevant to broadcasting, in which a fairly well-respected former BBC sports presenter is giving his views about the Beeb's Commonwealth Games coverage. Now sure how that is "trolling".

Having said that, I saw some bits of the CG's and I thought the BBC coverage was pretty decent.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    It's a news article from today, directly relevant to broadcasting, in which a fairly well-respected former BBC sports presenter is giving his views about the Beeb's Commonwealth Games coverage. Now sure how that is "trolling".

Having said that, I saw some bits of the CG's and I thought the BBC coverage was pretty decent.

Because the OP has titled it to be controversial, they haven't even put the title in inverted commas to represent it is a view of someone else just to start the same debate that goes on day after day on here with the same comments.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sour grapes Lynam, sour grapes.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Des. UKIP supporter and stone thrower at the Beeb. How has it come to this Des?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    and he never had sportsmen/women talking to him who people might not hear of again ?

Seems a bit harsh to criticise the BBC for speaking to the medals winners from all sports.

Learning about and hearing from those successful in minority sports is all part of the multi-sport events.

Its a break from the endless excuses of footballers and the like.

I think people might agree there is too much waffle at times whilst action is going on.

BTW Some of those comments in that article are very libellous towards Clare Blading!
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was away from BBC1.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Criticism of BBC sport coverage.
    "It’s been a bit Alan Partridge’: Ex-BBC legend Lynam savages coverage."
    https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/t-bit-alan-partridge-ex-bbc-legend-lynam-131043833.html
    His comments seem to relate only to the "Today At The Games" show. And yes, assuming it's the same sort of format as it was for the Olympics then it a light-entertainment show including some highlights; not a serious sports-only show. That was on after it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sour grapes Lynam, sour grapes.

I was just going to write something similar. What does he do now, I can't remember seeing him for ages.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serious sporting highlights programming the Lynam way:

(From 1min 15secs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWe1mwmoAUc

;-)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    It's a news article from today, directly relevant to broadcasting, in which a fairly well-respected former BBC sports presenter is giving his views about the Beeb's Commonwealth Games coverage. Now sure how that is "trolling

It takes only a minute to see that O/P has started 10 threads with 'BBC' in the title in the last 18 months, all of them negative towards the BBC. So if not trolling, it's definitely indicative of an anti-BBC agenda - as is the thread title, which is misleading.

As for Lynam, well he's entitled to his opinion about the BBC Commonwealth Games evening sports highlights programme but it's not something I had noticed. He's not on the BBC these days is he? Smacks of sour grapes - a better comment would have been about the excessive amount of inane commentary during races and other events. It isn't radio, we can see! But all TV channels suffer from that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Poor old Des. UKIP supporter and stone thrower at the Beeb. How has it come to this Des?

He deeply regrets jumping ship to ITV to present their disastrous Premiership highlights programme. He was never comfortable at ITV, which was obvious on screen, and his career disappeared into nothing from there.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Agreed it was pretty decent.

However, given his past record, i'll join in and say the OP is trolling.

Lynam doesn't really savage the coverage in the article, he just doesn't seem to like the "Tonight at the Games" programme.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Agreed it was pretty decent.

However, given his past record, i'll join in and say the OP is trolling.

Lynam doesn't really savage the coverage in the article, he just doesn't seem to like the "Tonight at the Games" programme.

I bet that he would jumped at the chance to present it if he had been asked by the BBC! It is just the sort of programme he would have done in the past.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I bet that he would jumped at the chance to present it if he had been asked by the BBC! It is just the sort of programme he would have done in the past.

That was my point really.

He seemed to suggest no-one cares about hearing from medal winners in minority sports so its a waste of time having them on but surely Des himself has interview many such people in his era of presenting at the Olympics etc.

As I say its part of what these multi-sporting events are about - hearing about and from sportsmen/women we usually wouldn't bat an eyelid at beforehand and potentially afterwards...

Ok it would probably just be a one to on interview in a studio without all the flashy music and live audience but think that was just set up due to the fact the games were "local" - I doubt any highlights programme will be as such in Rio or the Gold Coast.

In general he might be another one of those "in my day..." type people who like to compare the past with the present/future.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is just utterly ridiculous. The story isn't really about the coverage of the games, just that he didn't like the format of one of the highlights shows. Which was pretty much the same format they used during the Olympics and was, I thought, pretty popular. I know we and other people we know really enjoyed the informal format of an evening. And to criticise them for their guests, pretty much all British competitors, on the grounds that they weren't A list enough just beggars belief.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the title of the thread isn't really correct. He doesn't say the BBC is mediocre and amateurish but just one programme on the BBC which only had a very limited life.

I didn't see it, although I watched a lot of the games coverage, as I didn't think it would appeal to me. I just pick and choose the things I want to watch which has always struck me as a better option than watching things I don't like and then criticising them for the sake of it.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Posting and then discussing a mix of subjects? Not trolling.

Repeatedly starting only negative stories on a single subject, and then not discussing them much? Getting a lot closer to trolling. IMO.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Posting and then discussing a mix of subjects? Not trolling.

Repeatedly starting only negative stories on a single subject, and then not discussing them much? Getting a lot closer to trolling. IMO.

Fair enough, I don't typically check an OP's posting history. The thread title is misleading, even if it does features terms which Des used in his article.