I want to travel the world.

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I feel like I've wasted my 20s basically, now approaching my 30s, I spent 8 and a half months travelling around India and Nepal back when I was 25, been to some countries in Europe and thats about it, I haven't done the things I've wanted too do and see. I'm going to make my 30s different and see more off the world. Is 30 too old to go backpacking? i'm itching to go, I have commitment next year to go to Germany and Greece but am going to get to the equator line before I reach 30. Am I failure for not travelling much?

Comments

• dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not a failure , it depends on your circumstances, I was jealous in my 20s of friends going traveling, but I owned my property and couldn't imagine leaving it, I have traveled abroad over 75 times though, you can always go back somewhere you like
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,514
    Forum Member
    Not too old at all to go traveling IMO
    I have spent more than half my adult life in SE Asia and have had some wonderful and remarkable experiences OK I have been working and getting well paid so not the same as backpacking but I have met people of all ages who travel around and none of them seemed to regret any of it Go for it
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I've wasted my 20s basically, now approaching my 30s, I spent 8 and a half months travelling around India and Nepal back when I was 25, been to some countries in Europe and thats about it, I haven't done the things I've wanted too do and see. I'm going to make my 30s different and see more off the world. Is 30 too old to go backpacking? i'm itching to go, I have commitment next year to go to Germany and Greece but am going to get to the equator line before I reach 30. Am I failure for not travelling much?

I think you're asking the wrong crowd. See forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1799311
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and I are both in our 60's.
    Up until around 2000 we'd done the usual family holidays with our kids - France, Malta, Turkey.
    Then, when the kids were old enough to go solo, we got the urge to go further afield and in the last 14 years we've visited almost every corner of the world as often as we could afford.
    Our last journey was self drive around NZ.
    It's never too late.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    If you want to travel and have the means/time go for it, your thirties is definitely not too late there are people of all ages backpacking. I would love to travel more myself and hopefully one day I will, as a bit of an aside whenever I am feeling a bit down or comparing where other people have been I think how lucky I am to have travelled at all when there are millions if not billions of people who never leave their country of birth.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe it or not, life does not end at 30.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are NEVER to old to do something that means a lot to you. I think as long as your health allows it and you have enough money, you need to do whatever makes you happy. Life is short and most of the time not too brilliant but if you know there's something that will lift you up and you can do it, I offer all the encouragement in the world.

I would dearly love to see more of the world but ill health and not much money means it probably won't happen for me. I'm grateful for what I have seen though, going to New York when I was 21 being a huge highlight of my life that I'll never forget.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to travel the world.

You are Jules Winnfield and I claim my £5!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My neighbour is 75, and has just booked a holiday cruising around Alaska.

You're never too old OP. :)
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    You've travelled further than me and I don't feel like a failure. I'm 30.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your 30`s are the prime of your life.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whys everyone want to travel the world?
    All you do is go and come back again.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Whys everyone want to travel the world?
    All you do is go and come back again.
    It's what you do there that counts, the experiences, the sights, the sounds, the feel of being in a different country, the different cultures, food, drink, making friends, listening to music, etc etc it's unbeatable.

Your statement is like saying why bother washing when you'll only get dirty again. :D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You aren't a failure and it's never too late.

I had only been out of the country a couple of times by the time I was 29 as I was always skint in my twenties. However, since I turned 30 I have hardly stopped travelling. I got a job which involved a lot of European travel (and some further afield) and starting going abroad on holiday - it's a lot easier, and more fun, to travel when you have money.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's what you do there that counts, the experiences, the sights, the sounds, the feel of being in a different country, the different cultures, food, drink, making friends, listening to music, etc etc it's unbeatable.
    Overrated. :p
    Your statement is like saying why bother washing when you'll only get dirty again. :D

Well, while we're on this topic...
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wanted to do some travelling but circumstances (and money) didn't allow it. I do have ambitions to visit SE Asia, Japan, Africa, Australia and parts of Europe though.

Too bad I am all alone and don't have the balls to travel by myself.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    live in london, and the rest of the world will come to you instead.

not any cheaper, but probably less physically exhausting.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 is a little bit old, if you can handle the other backpackers pointing and laughing and calling you Clive Dunn though, then go for it :p
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 41 I sold the house, gave up the job and went on a 7 month trans Africa trip. A few of us went on afterwards - Lamu, Mauritius, Madagascar. Was away a year in total. Came back got another house, another job. But couldn't settle and 3 years later went to stay in Uganda with one of the contacts from the trip. Found a job in Kampala and later managed a safari lodge.
    I know someone gone 70 who has moved to the Orkneys to set up a smallholding.
    Never let age - or other peoples expectations - define you.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wanted to do some travelling but circumstances (and money) didn't allow it. I do have ambitions to visit SE Asia, Japan, Africa, Australia and parts of Europe though.

Too bad I am all alone and don't have the balls to travel by myself.

It's a piece of cake. The best thing about going by yourself is that you can do what you want, where you want and when you want without the need to keep someone else happy. SE Asia is especially good for solo travellers as there are so many single people - of all ages out there - from all over the world and it's so easy to meet people. I'm off to Vietnam next week (via Hong Kong - which should be interesting)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never let age - or other peoples expectations - define you.

Everyone should adopt that as the basis of their life.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    live in london, and the rest of the world will come to you

live in my flat and the rest of the world is on the telly :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1... you've already exceeded what most people have already managed in their lives, so be proud
    2 .... if you feel that you haven't done what you ought to, then f 'ing do the rest. You'll regret it otherwise
    3 ... life doesn't stop at whatever age, unless you let it
    4 ... just be. As long as you hurt nobody else.

Honest opinion? F'ING GO FOR IT!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i forget what popular science website i saw it on, but there are now "virtual reality holidays" .........

personally ive never wished to travel much, but those people with the "wanderlust instinct" do seem to feel it very strongly .........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    live in my flat and the rest of the world is on the telly :cool:

satellite tv especially. i saw a complete bullfight on some fta channel .......