Options

The Dumping Ground - CBBC

Comments

• Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 8-In episode eight, Dreamland, Rick gets a huge shock when he finds his dad, disguised as a boiler man, right inside the Dumping Ground. Gerry insists that he’s above board now and promises Rick a happy family future, but it quickly becomes clear that Gerry still loves the buzz of a hustle, and Rick is distraught.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2013/07/the-dumping-ground-week-7.html

Hurrah! A central episode for Rick!:)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very touching. I liked the Mike/Gus scenes, especially 'I was asleep' 'but you're awake now!'.

Still no confirmation re:Elektra!
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Very touching. I liked the Mike/Gus scenes, especially 'I was asleep' 'but you're awake now!'.

Maybe it took a situation like that for Elektra to act in a mature way and stand up for rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

I also liked when he said he had "Hay fever" :) He still misses Tracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite a change in Tee's attitude from the previous episode.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series has been really good and I know that Tracy isnt in it and the dynamics have changed but the writers have made it work. I think they do need a third care worker, maybe Elaine the Pain can come back just so that we have another adult or could be a Nathan type character.

I also think that there should be maybe a storyline focussed in the house as there is too much fostering and outside families coming in to the show. But whats good is that its not a former shadow of its self and deserves to still be on tv.
  • Options
    thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I miss the garden scenes in The Stroy Of Tracy Beaker! I loved how the living area opened out to the large garden.

Now the garden looks so spooky and haunted...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I miss the garden scenes in The Stroy Of Tracy Beaker! I loved how the living area opened out to the large garden.

Now the garden looks so spooky and haunted...

Not much if you remember the bouncy castle in the first episode a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I've really liked the last two episodes! The Jody storyline was very well handled last week.

Gus is such a funny character and whilst he doesn't really work as a teenager, you can't help but feel sad at his departure! He looked so desperate and like a lost little boy when he and Mike were standing near the van. Mike has always been there for him and I can understand Mike's sadness at Gus going, yet he knew it was the best thing for him.

That foster mother with the notebook is basically just a grown up version of Gus lol..which was strange.

I do miss Sapphire actually as she fit in so well with the others and maybe they do need a third careworker to fill the big Tracy-sized hole.

The most interesting thing about yesterday's episode was Johnny. I've always thought he was the most complex character and you can see how much hurt he feels about his situation. Tee has (usually) so much compassionate and love that they're a perfect sibling match. I think it would be great if Johnny had his own storyline where he has to face the demons of his past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've really liked the last two episodes! The Jody storyline was very well handled last week.

Gus is such a funny character and whilst he doesn't really work as a teenager, you can't help but feel sad at his departure! He looked so desperate and like a lost little boy when he and Mike were standing near the van. Mike has always been there for him and I can understand Mike's sadness at Gus going, yet he knew it was the best thing for him.

That foster mother with the notebook is basically just a grown up version of Gus lol..which was strange.

I do miss Sapphire actually as she fit in so well with the others and maybe they do need a third careworker to fill the big Tracy-sized hole.

The most interesting thing about yesterday's episode was Johnny. I've always thought he was the most complex character and you can see how much hurt he feels about his situation. Tee has (usually) so much compassionate and love that they're a perfect sibling match. I think it would be great if Johnny had his own storyline where he has to face the demons of his past.

I'm sure they'll revisit the Johnny & Tee storyline in the past. Has been a while since they had an episode revolved around the two. And yes, if Sapphire was still here it would have been a completely different story with Johnny & Elektra arguing about prejudice.

It's not often that once the kids leave The Dumping Ground, they end up returning. Lily left in series 1 then returned a few episodes later. And of course, we've seen Jody return. Won't happen with Gus, I'm pretty sure. But I hope he makes appearances in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    542k (3.5%) for yesterday's episode - 331k (16.9%) of which were 4-15.

Last week's episode on January 18th consolidated to 500k (approximately).
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really proud of that episode, can you imagine American kids tv doing that?
    I liked the change in Elektra, that even though she was angry she clearly cares about Johnny as a friend. Having a parent that is like Gus will help him to adjust to the world better, which is great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweeted one of the writers of Tracy Beaker Returns and The Dumping Ground about Melanie's absence.

This was her reply.

"I think after a while at the DG she realised that such hands on work wasn't for her. And Beaker's were big boots to fill!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    Tweeted one of the writers of Tracy Beaker Returns and The Dumping Ground about Melanie's absence.

This was her reply.

"I think after a while at the DG she realised that such hands on work wasn't for her. And Beaker's were big boots to fill!"

I think this means that she thought her role as care worker wouldn't be good enough as Tracy Beaker or that she didn't want to film for 3 months in Newcastle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The new character Sophie had a big role in the first episodes but the last few you can barely notice her! Even Lilly has had more screen time then her!

I know the next episode will focus around her but she needs to have a part in every episode. Like Tee,Johnny and Carmen the episode is focused around them but they still have a lot of screen time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The new character Sophie had a big role in the first episodes but the last few you can barely notice her! Even Lilly has had more screen time then her!

I know the next episode will focus around her but she needs to have a part in every episode. Like Tee,Johnny and Carmen the episode is focused around them but they still have a lot of screen time.

It's Faith, though I think her real name may be Sophie. But yeah, I agree with the fact that all characters need a decent amount of screen time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    It's Faith, though I think her real name may be Sophie. But yeah, I agree with the fact that all characters need a decent amount of screen time.

Thanks for spotting the mistake. I think her full name is Faith Davis.

I don't see why she called herself Sophie it wouldn't have made a difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I don't watch any kids TV aside from this anymore, that episode was such a well-handled episode of children's television. It showed some realistic responses to gay parenting, yet didn't become too patronising.

I thought it was actually really sad to see Gus leave, I'll miss him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They broadcast episode 1 & 2 separately yesterday. I'm watching it on iPlayer right now and there's quite a bit they cut out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They broadcast episode 1 & 2 separately yesterday. I'm watching it on iPlayer right now and there's quite a bit they cut out.

I knew they would. They did the same with Tracy Beaker Returns.

"Tracy Beaker Superstar"
    "New Life's Eve"
    "The Burnywood Menace"
    "Drained"
    "The Visitors"
    "Firestarter"

The writer also tweeted that the actor who played Gus (Noah) decided to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    This series has been really good and I know that Tracy isnt in it and the dynamics have changed but the writers have made it work. I think they do need a third care worker, maybe Elaine the Pain can come back just so that we have another adult or could be a Nathan type character.

I also think that there should be maybe a storyline focussed in the house as there is too much fostering and outside families coming in to the show. But whats good is that its not a former shadow of its self and deserves to still be on tv.

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a third care worker coming. Hopefully if there is a second series then maybe it could happen but I don't think it's likely to at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a third care worker coming. Hopefully if there is a second series then maybe it could happen but I don't think it's likely to at the moment.

I think it's very likely it'll be recommissioned with the ratings it's getting.

Plus, it's nice to see the crew are letting the actors make their own decisions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's very likely it'll be recommissioned with the ratings it's getting.

Plus, it's nice to see the crew are letting the actors make their own decisions.

Oh I hope so! It's really shaping up to be a good series so far. I've enjoyed every episode (even though episode 3 was my least favourite, it still had some good moments). I also agree with you about the crew letting the actors decide, it's pretty cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is while the episode isn't revolved around them, Carmen, Tyler, Jody, Johnny, Tee and Elektra usually play a large part in the episode - I think we should see characters like Rick being featured a bit more but he has a central episode in a few weeks so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I noticed that in the double episode, they cut out any reference to the party that the girls were planning to go to, but left in their desire to dye their hair (which didn't have a ring to it as we didn't know what for), Gus realising he was orange when going for a bath which the others helped him organise, and Gus looking at images of Mike on his holiday on his phone.

This Friday's episode should be interesting, we get to learn more about Faith, who, despite playing a large part in the first episode, we only get to learn more about now in episode 6.