Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier on, he asked someone twice the price of something, because he didn't listen the first time !
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't often listen to Talk Sport as there are too many adverts (apart from Saturday morning when Baker is on 5live). I would like to have a listen to Press Pass, especially when Wright and Cates are on. What time is Press Passs on? Is it a regular time or variable?

It goes out directly against 606 on Sundays, lasting two hours between 6-8pm. The only time this varies is on FA Cup Sundays when talkSPORT will sometimes have a post-match phone-in after a 4pm commentary game, but this happens no more than 3-4 times a year tops. It's a very good programme and definitely a decent alternative to Ian Wright.

For people who like their sport (beyond just football) and want an alternative from 5 Live's Sunday night diet of Wright, repeats and Nolan; talkSPORT is actually very strong on Sunday nights. After the Press Pass, they broadcast a dedicated rugby union show called Full Contact which is a weekly listen for me and then from 10pm there is My Sporting Life, an in-depth interview looking back at the career and life of a sporting personality (last night it was Ricky Hatton) conducted by Danny Kelly. talkSPORT's Sunday evening line-up is the strongest part of their schedule in my view and if 5 Live is comparatively weak at this time of the week then hopefully they are picking up one or two wavering listeners.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    good to hear john motson commentating on 5 live baring in mind he said ages ago he would never commentate on a live game on tv anymore
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no bacon this afternoon...Sam on instead - perfectly OK but as said further back on the thread....5live needs to stop trying to be a rolling news station....it's the TV review...ok boyd hilton is a doophus but lets run it .....

then suddenly it's OK to commit the bbc's cardinal rule of stopping for the news whatever the hell happens.....so many interviews and lines of conversation ruined (especially on breakfast the worst offender for this) because they start something and then stop for the news...

but today john kerry press conference (no, i'm not decrying the importance of Syria itself) but they let that run...until it was obviously waffle and they then cut 8 minutes late to the news....

now.... i would rather they did run over the news bits (it's not like you can't access news 24 hours a day even from a phone now - it's not 1979 anymore...):rolleyes:

but instead of running with it they then cut it off and wonder why they bothered with it in the first place... :confused: so they could run it in the next bulletin once had a chance to digest it....as they are a news and football (oops sorry :o i meant news AND sports station of course *ahem*

it's not the audio equivalent of news 24 so i could have heard the tv reviews all the way through which I don't mind -not the best thing ever but at least it could flow ....and i liked the interview with the first british bake off finalist earlier on that was interesting....
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    it's not the audio equivalent of news 24 so i could have heard the tv reviews all the way through which I don't mind -not the best thing ever but at least it could flow ....and i liked the interview with the first british bake off finalist earlier on that was interesting....

That's exactly what it is actually:
    The remit of BBC Radio 5 live is to provide live news and sports coverage. It should be BBC Radio’s main outlet for breaking news by bringing its audience major news stories as they happen.

BBC Radio 5 live should provide a wide range of news and sport programming, including rolling news whenever a big news story breaks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/radio/2012/5live_jan12.pdf

The entertainment interviews are fillers for whenever there isn't much news happening. The Trust requires them to be interrupted/curtailed when there is a breaking news story.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But this afternoon there wasn't a breaking news story. What ever was said at the press conference could have been summarised in the next news bulletin.

The most sensible thing to do regarding most developing stories* between 10 and 4 during the day and 10:30 and 5 during the night is to follow the news bulletins on the top of the hour with interviews connected with developing news stories. This already happens during Richard Bacon's show sometimes.

*by most developing stories I don't mean terrorist attacks, domestic mass shootings or major RTCs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would change the awful programme plugs / links where they shout one half down a megaphone then the rest in a slightly distorted 'MW' radio style.

Just one of my many gripes with 5 Live. Who on earth thought those links/plugs were worth doing in the first place, never mind sticking with for what feels like years?

I can stomach 5 Live for the football as the only alternative is no alternative at all, but for general discussion and current affairs I go with Radio 4 every time, no matter how exclusive it can sometimes seem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Awful car crash radio just now with a caller to 606 (or "my programme" according to Ian Wright). Caller started talking about "whinging" from the black community about the FA commission, upon which Wrighty started talking over him, then Cates managed to stop him and tell the guy "Ok this is your chance to get your point across", except it wasn't because Wright immediately started going "Ooooh, who's whinging now?". The caller told him to "shut up", and was cut off by Cates for rudeness.

You may not agree with what the guy was trying to say, but that was just wrong and came across as really bad.

That caller was a nasty, bigoted piece of work, but Wright's response was terrible. How on earth he thought he was taking the higher ground taunting the guy with "Err, err, err" then cutting him off I don't know.

As for Victoria Derbyshire. Her sensationalist show almost singlehandedly drove me to other stations years ago. I find it staggering that she is still on air - anywhere - never mind on a national BBC radio station.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today on radio 2 a doctor/surgeon who had spent some time in Syria treating the wounded was interviewed- this was extremely interesting detailing the wonderful advances in treating serious wounds and the scary environment out there.
    Perhaps this would be a good feature (and not so miserable as the usual fare) for 5 live's10am slot. Then again the surgeon was a male...
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    That caller was a nasty, bigoted piece of work, but Wright's response was terrible. How on earth he thought he was taking the higher ground taunting the guy with "Err, err, err" then cutting him off I don't know.

As for Victoria Derbyshire. Her sensationalist show almost singlehandedly drove me to other stations years ago. I find it staggering that she is still on air - anywhere - never mind on a national BBC radio station.

Well said on both counts. We should all boycott Derbyshire as it will be the listening figures that lead to her much deserved downfall. It is clear the controller does not listen to the rank and file listeners but he cannot ignore listening figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There hasn't been a sob story on Victoria Derbyshire's show so far this week. Makes a nice change.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That caller was a nasty, bigoted piece of work,
    We never actually found out what he was going to say.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    It goes out directly against 606 on Sundays, lasting two hours between 6-8pm. The only time this varies is on FA Cup Sundays when talkSPORT will sometimes have a post-match phone-in after a 4pm commentary game, but this happens no more than 3-4 times a year tops. It's a very good programme and definitely a decent alternative to Ian Wright.

For people who like their sport (beyond just football) and want an alternative from 5 Live's Sunday night diet of Wright, repeats and Nolan; talkSPORT is actually very strong on Sunday nights. After the Press Pass, they broadcast a dedicated rugby union show called Full Contact which is a weekly listen for me and then from 10pm there is My Sporting Life, an in-depth interview looking back at the career and life of a sporting personality (last night it was Ricky Hatton) conducted by Danny Kelly. talkSPORT's Sunday evening line-up is the strongest part of their schedule in my view and if 5 Live is comparatively weak at this time of the week then hopefully they are picking up one or two wavering listeners.

Many thanks for your reply. I'll certainly give it a try. It's got to be better than 606 when Wright (and to a lesser extent, Cates are on)
    Re Ricky Hatton, he must be doing the "rounds" as he turned up on 5live a few nights ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil Williams program is really, really boring tonight. He's copying the old Tony Livesey thread of tell us who you've been standing next to. It wasn;t long before the conversation graduated to toilets. Phil's problem is, he hasn't got the personality to present that slot. I usually switch him off as soon as the appalling quiz comes on, but the 1130 interview is with James Blunt. Click!

Come back Tony Livesey, please.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    We never actually found out what he was going to say.

My thoughts exactly......:confused:
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Blunt a pre-record interview/ plug....
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    [The entertainment interviews are fillers for whenever there isn't much news happening. The Trust requires them to be interrupted/curtailed when there is a breaking news story.[/QUOTE]

You mean the Trust have decided that 5 Live must present inaudible press conferences? I think not. There is a world of difference between covering breaking news stories in a sensible, coherent way, rather than breathlessly dashing about the place like an out of control labrador, failing to do justice to to either the planned material or the news itself, and pleasing nobody, which is their current approach.

The Trust may decide the overall remit of the station, but it is the management that needs to get a grip on what they do, and control the output appropriately. I heard the John Kerry press conference as well, and it was clearly waffle, that was not worth the length of time devoted to it. Clearly nobody exercises any editorial control, or actually listens to the output.
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone know where to lsien to arhcive program on 5live as iplayer no longer has them

i want to listen to bacon program back on janaurary where he interviewed lee boardmen and at then end he made him say the stings and voices of 5live and want to hear that again

where can i listen to arvhive programs of past
  • Options
    Forum Member
    does anyone know where to lsien to arhcive program on 5live as iplayer no longer has them

i want to listen to bacon program back on janaurary where he interviewed lee boardmen and at then end he made him say the stings and voices of 5live and want to hear that again

where can i listen to arvhive programs of past

I don't think you can get programmes as old as that. I think they are restricted to 7 days at present although there is some talk of extending them to 30? days, although that may be for TV only at present.

You must be a glutton for punishment, wanting to listen to Bacon when you don't have to.
  • Options
    europeantoureuropeantour Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    There hasn't been a sob story on Victoria Derbyshire's show so far this week. Makes a nice change.

You know...I wonder if it is the content of the VD show that is the problem here not just her....

If instead of all the sob story's and the depressing subjects that she has on, if the whole programme was revamped and some proper REGULAR segments thought out for each day, it might improve things

I think that and then I listen to her interview a spokesperson from the management from Grangemouth this morning. Her own biased view of the situation shown through of what she hoped she could make the story into and the Spokesperson gave a good account of the situation from his POV.

MMMM
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know...I wonder if it is the content of the VD show that is the problem here not just her....

If instead of all the sob story's and the depressing subjects that she has on, if the whole programme was revamped and some proper REGULAR segments thought out for each day, it might improve things

I think that and then I listen to her interview a spokesperson from the management from Grangemouth this morning. Her own biased view of the situation shown through of what she hoped she could make the story into and the Spokesperson gave a good account of the situation from his POV.

MMMM

We cant all be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't enjoy the regular sob stories any more if my favourite presenter was presenting them. I am glad the show for the first two days of the week focused on other things instead. People may criticise Victoria Derbyshire's handling of certain discussions, and those criticisms may or may not be fair. At least she was covering those different and more relevant issues instead of featuring sob stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope 5 live don't give country bumpkin Ian Holloway any work now he's unemployed.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is actually:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/radio/2012/5live_jan12.pdf

The entertainment interviews are fillers for whenever there isn't much news happening. The Trust requires them to be interrupted/curtailed when there is a breaking news story.

Ian f is right as usual the comment I made was on the John Kerry waffle which it definitely was....when they realised it was drivel and not actually a breaking news story it fizzled out and they jumped to the news which on this occasion was allowed to be late this time for some reason.....

If they are rolling news and sport well perhaps we can lose Phil Williams quizzes for example and become a proper audio news 24.....

In fact if we are mentioning it I'd argue the remit isn't fulfilled in any case because it doesn't cover sport......it covers football and a bit of golf and cricket with a bit of tennis......

it rarely covers other sports being obsessed with football to the nth and monotonous degree and usually leads every interview into pointless drivel about teams and the game even when that's not even the subject being discussed....

If it's going to be just that then do it properly at least it might end the daily Derbyshire misery fest I guess....

I found the football comment above interesting from wns195 about the audiences for it on 5 live....I can imagine the post match debates on the topics 5 live generates :)
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,072
    Forum Member
    Don't forget F1 - tend to find they cover that more than most sports outside of football with a weekly show and of course coverage of the races.

Football does dominate in terms of actual commentary but they do try to have non-football preview/programmes albeit mixed in with chat about football first at 7.
This discussion has been closed.