12346»

Comments

• Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    I'll say one good thing about this show, it is a great cure for insomnia :D
    Actually the best thing about the show is the name of the Special Effects Coordinator in the titles :cool:

So far as the actual content goes: a crummy script that wasn't helped by the actors sleepwalking through their parts. No energy or inspiration. I did like the "I'm sorry I can't do that" in true HAL9000 styley and the glowing heart - straight out of ET - at the end.

I watched the first 3 episodes and the finale and I feel that was still 2 too many. >:(
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    I watched the first 3 episodes and the finale and I feel that was still 2 too many. >:(
    4 too many, surely!

K
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm not sure about the ending.

It was pretty predictable, but I did like Ethan in the end and glad he 'survived' in an 'Electric Dreams' type way. All it needed was him playing the song on the radio. :)

Not sure if there will be a 2nd series.

Yes I felt like the way it ended could have been final.

I'm also glad that Ethan didn't die. I wanted to see what the Aliens looked like and where they came from, what their purpose was etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started off thinking the alien storyline was going to be cool, and the android storyline was a very boring 'been there done that' regurgitation of the moralising in AI and I Robot.

By the end, the entire alien/offspring stuff was putting me to sleep, but I was really engaged by the little robot boy and the bad man who charmed his way into their life. I really liked that kid/actor, he did well.

Overall though, 5.5/10. Really dull, most of the time, except the latter half of the android storyline.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »

By the end, the entire alien/offspring stuff was putting me to sleep, but I was really engaged by the little robot boy and the bad man who charmed his way into their life. I really liked that kid/actor, he did well.

Yes that's how I felt too. Especially when we found out the 'aliens' were just sentient spores colonising planets.

The life giving goo never really went anywhere. Did we find out if the spores created it?

The thing that kept me watching was the idea of 'What is life?' and was Ethan 'alive'?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So... is it really worth me catching up with this?

I've seen up to whatever the last episode was before they started doing double-bills.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were they actually planning for a 2nd series because that seemed to wrap it up nicely. Thought the show was ok especially the boy who played ethan, he was good. Not sure where it can go after this. Wish they'd have caught oden though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Were they actually planning for a 2nd series because that seemed to wrap it up nicely. Thought the show was ok especially the boy who played ethan, he was good. Not sure where it can go after this. Wish they'd have caught oden though.

I think they were hoping for one but I really doubt they'll get it.

This show had an Oscar winner and two great premises (can humans make robots to be like humans? Why would an alien want to impregnate an earth woman to birth a hybrid?) but we ended up with magic rocks that can make you immortal, hallucinations of dead people provided by the alien baby and half baked conspiracy theories. Just a gloriously high budget disappointment.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    So... is it really worth me catching up with this?

I've seen up to whatever the last episode was before they started doing double-bills.

I really wouldn't bother - but if you do just watch the final episode.

Nothing of value will be lost
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers - I think I'll just leave it! :D
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Think you mean this one;

LINK

;)

Must admit, didn't really see that one coming.....
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Think you mean this one;

LINK

;)

Must admit, didn't really see that one coming.....

Neither did I. It seems they have made a deal with Amazon which has paid for it before it even aired. People watch on so many formats now that these deals are the way to go. Is anyone prepared to sit through adverts anymore?

I watched it to see where they were taking it. It was really boring most of the is time
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad its been renewed. Although I might be the only one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone prepared to sit through adverts anymore?

Nope, but nor am I prepared to sit through this, either! ;)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been confirmed that Halle Berry's Extant is coming to SyFy UK. They'll be showing Season 1 from January 2015. Shame it's such a stinker lol.

A 13-episode second season is already slated for Summer 2015. If Extant does well for SyFy UK then it's possible they may get their hands on that too.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I loved this series and it's a lot better then I'd expected so I'm happy it's got a 2nd season
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught up with this on Prime.

Strangely hypnotic. Quite beautiful if somewhat sterile. And the child actors were promising. But dull, predictable, cliched, hackneyed and devoid of all emotion.

HATED the ending. I too was singing 'Electric Dream' (and threatening to strangle the TV with the HDMI cable but I think there's medication for that :blush: )

I admit I'm not a huge Halle Berry fan, but I found her acting very weak for such a big film star.

Surprised it has got a second season. Not sure I'll watch.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    SyFy UK are showing this from Tue 20 Jan next year.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't surprise me getting a second series. If you are a 'movie' star whose star is waning you put your hard earned cash into being the ep IBM a television series. So many are doing that now. She may have won an oscar but she also won a razzie for Catwoman. She seems to sleepwalk through this. Not surprised the Japanese character won't be in season 2 as he basically played the same character in Helix.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Just been confirmed that Halle Berry's Extant is coming to SyFy UK. They'll be showing Season 1 from January 2015. Shame it's such a stinker lol.

A 13-episode second season is already slated for Summer 2015. If Extant does well for SyFy UK then it's possible they may get their hands on that too.
    Resurrecting this thread because I'm still watching this (even though we're nearly at the end, so I'm trying to ignore the spoilers!). I'm quite enjoying it (despite Meryl Streep's ugly daughter, and the weird husband who looks as if he's had extreme Botox and is caked in makeup and hair dye).

I mistakenly started a new thread, because:-

1. The DS search engine told me that there was nothing here with Extant in the title or the post (yeah, right - I should know better! ;-)).

2. This forum is apparently only a month old and only has three pages - surprise surprise! I kid you not - the TV sub-forum page gives figures of 33,491 threads and 1,666,221 posts - yet click on the actual forum, and magically this is all included in three pages! (Er, not...) So with a non-working search engine, and an inability to go beyond three pages of posts - how on earth is anyone supposed to find out what's already been posted in a forum? (Tell me that, DS!)

In case anyone's wondering, I found this via Google! (An external search engine can find posts that the actual app can't - marvellous...^_^)
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @SapphicGrrl...This whole forum has been broken for months (years?) & no one seems bothered to try & fix it.

If I click on your user name & select "find more posts", the latest one it shows me is sometimes dated 15/6/2016 & sometimes 17/11/2010 (about the Royal Wedding)!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2. This forum is apparently only a month old and only has three pages - surprise surprise! I kid you not - the TV sub-forum page gives figures of 33,491 threads and 1,666,221 posts - yet click on the actual forum, and magically this is all included in three pages! (Er, not...) So with a non-working search engine, and an inability to go beyond three pages of posts - how on earth is anyone supposed to find out what's already been posted in a forum? (Tell me that, DS!)

If you go down to the bottom of the Cult sub-forum threads page you'll see Display Options........by default this is set at 'Show Threads from the Last Week' which is where your 3 pages comes from

You can select a different time period from the drop down menu. I just selected 'from the Beginning' and clicked on Show Threads.........then you get 264 pages going back to 2001

Course the search still doesn't work .........:)
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    If you go down to the bottom of the Cult sub-forum threads page you'll see Display Options........by default this is set at 'Show Threads from the Last Week' which is where your 3 pages comes from

You can select a different time period from the drop down menu. I just selected 'from the Beginning' and clicked on Show Threads.........then you get 264 pages going back to 2001

Course the search still doesn't work .........:)
    Thanks for that. However, can anyone tell me what happens in the last episode? I watched one yesterday, but it certainly didn't feel like the last one, and there doesn't appear to be one today? I'm convinced that Syfy (is it Syfy?) have just lopped it off, leaving us hanging?! There's no catch-up of it on Sky - it's like everyone's pretending it doesn't exist?! :o