Samsung tv firmware update ruined my tv

For some stupid stupid stupid reason I decided today to check for updates. TV was working perfectly so why I did this I have no idea but following the latest firmware update my Facebook videos no longer sync with the social hub but even worse than that, my tv picture has gone all fuzzy and pixelated and is suffering from really bad picture noise.

My model number is UE40F6670. My previous firmware was 1109. Current is 1111. Samsung website says only version available for download is 1107.4

I'm really not happy as my tv was fine before and now the picture is terrible. I've checked the settings and they are the same as they were before the update. Even tried a factory reset from the service menu but it wont roll back. What can I do? I've only had the TVs 3 weeks.

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you buy it from?

Also, if the people you asked in the dedicated SamsungUE40F6670 thread at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1752178-samsung-ue-f6670-ue-f6740-owners-thread-9.html

Dont know, then youre probably best returning it whilst its only 3weeks old.

edit, did youre tv just go and look for firmware, or did you download it and install it?
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I can't talk to anyone until Monday but I've had it from Currys Pc World so they'll just tell me it's a Samsung issue and to call them. You know what they're like. And I've heard Samsung aren't that helpful either. I was hoping of a way to roll back the firmware. The service menu shows 2 firmware versions. 1009 and 1111. Presume the 1009 was the original which was on it when I bought it.

I've also noticed that I'm getting vertical grey bars on moving images like shadows and the occasional backlight flicker. I've paid a small fortune for this tv and it's worse now than it was when I bought it. Outlines look jagged and blurry and turning on digital clear view and MPEG noise filter just makes it more fuzzy.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Panasonic just searches for firmware updates, if it finds it, it downloads and installs it.

Did your TV do that, or did you manualy install it, and if so how?

Have you tried reinstalling it?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I've also noticed that I'm getting vertical grey bars on moving images like shadows and the occasional backlight flicker. I've paid a small fortune for this tv and it's worse now than it was when I bought it. Outlines look jagged and blurry and turning on digital clear view and MPEG noise filter just makes it more fuzzy.

Sounds like 'banding' if that is the case you've got a good case for getting it replaced.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Well I can't talk to anyone until Monday but I've had it from Currys Pc World so they'll just tell me it's a Samsung issue and to call them. You know what they're like.

Don't tell them what you've done, just say it went faulty one day when you turned it on.

They are open Sunday, get it taken back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    My Panasonic just searches for firmware updates, if it finds it, it downloads and installs it.

Did your TV do that, or did you manualy install it, and if so how?

Have you tried reinstalling it?

I checked for updates and installed it when it said there was one available. Can't reinstall as it says I now have the most up to date software. I'm so annoyed with myself that I did this when I didn't need to. I only updated because I thought it might have introduced a few more goodies and features but as far as I can see nothing has changed and it now performs worse than it did prior to the update.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just take it back and say nuffin'. Not that you did anything wrong but retailers look for any excuse.

It seems to me you are doing a do-over by looking for a fix. You say you regret doing the firmware update when it wasn't necessary, surely it's also not necessary to "fix" it when it can be returned as faulty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Just take it back and say nuffin'. Not that you did anything wrong but retailers look for any excuse.

It seems to me you are doing a do-over by looking for a fix. You say you regret doing the firmware update when it wasn't necessary, surely it's also not necessary to "fix" it when it can be returned as faulty?

But they're gonna want to know what the problem is and some of the problems are only visible on certain programmes or at certain times. Like the banding and flickering. Most noticeable during football matches. Although the picture is a lot grainier and jagged than is was, wont they just take one look and say, well it works OK and that's how it is or tell me to adjust the picture settings etc. Unless there's a way of comparing it to how it was prior to the update it's hard to prove there's an issue but basically it's like going from a 600hz tv to a 50hz tv. But how do I prove that to some idiot in a shop who insists it's working just because he can see a picture? Wont they just try and blame something else like my aerial or external sources?

I fear if I take it back ill just look like I'm making it up because the tv does still work. Just not as clear and as crisp as it was. Other than some of the smart features which no longer work (or work consistantly) it still looks like a functioning tv.

If you stand way back at the opposite side of the room you can't hardly notice it but we specifically bought this TV because it had a crystal clear picture at such close range as we only have a small lounge. That's why we opted for a high Hertz rate. I can see them coming up with all the usual excuses like I'm sitting too close, it's because of the upscaling of sd or perhaps it's my equipment etc. Oh yeah, the voice recognition has stopped working properly too. When I hit the voice button it's not listening or picking up my voice. Works about one in 4 times at best.

Fact is it's definitely worse since the update but if I tell them that then they'll just tell me to contact Samsung and pass the buck over to them to sort out, which I know will probably get me nowhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you tried the website firmware? (708MB file, ver 1107.4)

It won't update (via USB) because you already have newer firmware on board?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you tried the website firmware? (708MB file, ver 1107.4)

It won't update (via USB) because you already have newer firmware on board?

Yes that's the one. I downloaded it and extracted the exe file to my USB stick and tried to to a manual update but it said it could find any firmware to update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since it's an expensive TV, and you don't feel that contacting the retailer is worth while, the best course of action is probably to wait and see what Samsung do with regards new firmware.

Do Samsung have some kind of Live Chat questioning service?

Also I think that entering the Service Menu is not something that Samsung/Currys would be keen on, best not mention it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since it's an expensive TV, and you don't feel that contacting the retailer is worth while, the best course of action is probably to wait and see what Samsung do with regards new firmware.

Do Samsung have some kind of Live Chat questioning service?

Also I think that entering the Service Menu is not something that Samsung/Currys would be keen on, best not mention it.

Just rang Curries and they said I had to contact Samsung directly as they don't deal with technical support or repairs of faulty products. I asked about bringing it back and they said I couldn't. I'd have to arrange a visit by an engineering to inspect it to see if could be repaired. They gave me Samsungs number but there's nobody there today. This is just B.S. I purchased it from Curries so THEY should take responsibility. I bloody knew this would happen.

And let the endless stream of excuses and passing from pillar to post commence. There doesn't seem to be an option to contact the store directly.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Just rang Curries and they said I had to contact Samsung directly as they don't deal with technical support or repairs of faulty products. I asked about bringing it back and they said I couldn't. I'd have to arrange a visit by an engineering to inspect it to see if could be repaired. They gave me Samsungs number but there's nobody there today. This is just B.S. I purchased it from Curries so THEY should take responsibility. I bloody knew this would happen.

And let the endless stream of excuses and passing from pillar to post commence.

You are quite right. Your contract is with Currys where you brought it. They try this con on a lot as they assume people are stupid not to know about SOGA.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Just rang Curries and they said I had to contact Samsung directly as they don't deal with technical support or repairs of faulty products. I asked about bringing it back and they said I couldn't.

As others have said, your contract is with Currys, so you can certainly return it to them, and it's then up to THEM to sort it out with Samsung.

As a minimum this might involve them getting a Samsung service agent to call at their premises to examine the set, or them taking the set to the nearest Samsung service agent.

As a retailer who isn't a Samsung service agent we would collect a faulty set from the customers house, leave them a loan set, and deliver the set to the Samsung service agent. However, we'd obviously need to make sure the set was actually faulty first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got through to someone who said as I bought it from the store it's up to me to return it as they wont collect it. I don't have my box and worried in case anything like the screen gets damaged in transit. I know how delicate these things are.

Anyway the guy (numpty) told me that problems with the picture couldn't possibly have anything to do with firmware as the firmware only affects the smart hub. What an idiot! How can you possibly get anywhere when customer services don't know what they're talking about. Firmware affects everything to do with the picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you have returned all settings back to what you had before?

There will be various weird and wacky things that Samsung provide. Motion settings and noise reduction and so on.

Also the UK localisation settings, might make a difference to this "Smart Hub" and so on.

Is there a master reset in the normal user menu that will require a retune and so forth?

Back to the "out of the box" experience in other words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure you have returned all settings back to what you had before?

There will be various weird and wacky things that Samsung provide. Motion settings and noise reduction and so on.

Also the UK localisation settings, might make a difference to this "Smart Hub" and so on.

Is there a master reset in the normal user menu that will require a retune and so forth?

Back to the "out of the box" experience in other words.

Yes I'm positive as I had everything turned off before apart from motion plus which was set to clear. It took me so long to set it up I wrote down all the settings so I know I've set them back as before. The reason I turned off most of the processing and filters is because it made the picture look worse. I've since played around with these settings and it still makes it look worse so I've put the settings back as they were when I was happy with them.

I've done both a factory reset from the service menu as well as the regular menu and it's still not right. The social part of the smart hub is still not functioning properly. At one time I could see videos that my friends had shared on Facebook but now it keeps saying content not found and gives me an error message. Apps are also crashing and causing the tv to switch off and reboot. Tried to log into twitter today and the screen went blank for 10 seconds and the tv rebooted itself. Trouble is this doesn't happen every time.

I'm beginning to wonder if Samsung have released the wrong fw version for this tv as their website states v1107 to be the latest for my set yet the update gave me 1111

One thing I did notice was when it did the firmware update it lowered my backlight to 12 and upped my brightness to 45 when it was previously set to 18 and 40 respectively but I returned it my settings which looked better. I've since looked in the service menu and it's also changed my audio delay. Last firmware was set to a default delay of 6Eh but now it's changed to 55h. I'm getting less audio delay and lip sync issues now but the picture is worse and some smart hub functions aren't working. I wonder whether Samsung have compromised on picture processing/upscaling in order to limit audio delay issues.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's your own fault for buying it from Currys. Get it from Amazon next time.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm.beginning to wonder if Samsung have released the wrong fw version for this tv as their website states v1107 to be the latest for my set yet the update gave me 1111

Use your common sense then and get that update and apply it. If it's still broken then take it back to Currys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's your own fault for buying it from Currys. Get it from Amazon next time.

If it was the same price on Amazon I would have done. It's an extra £160 on Amazon for the same model and this isn't Curry's fault it's Samsung for releasing a firmware update that's faulty. If I'd had bought it from Amazon I'd still have the same issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use your common sense then and get that update and apply it. If it's still broken then take it back to Currys.

I can't because it wont let you install a lower firmware version over a higher one. That is how all firmware works. Only way to roll it back is to ask Samsung but they have told other people it can't be done. However if it's a faulty update they are obliged I think to release a fix via another update.

I'll call Samsung tomorrow and if no joy I'll take it back to the shop. Didn't really want to do that though and risk it getting damaged in transit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the SamyGO website ([Firefox flags this as a problem website by the way) there is talk of the firmware 1111 being released (13th Sep)

Maybe Samsung released it and pulled it quickly afterwards.

Also some people appeared to have firmware 1110 on previously, while the Samsung website is still only on 1107.4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This can happen, a firmware is released and then causes mayhem and is pulled quite quickly.

Maybe wait a few days and Samsung might release a newer version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This can happen, a firmware is released and then causes mayhem and is pulled quite quickly.

Maybe wait a few days and Samsung might release a newer version?

Interesting. Might be worth a call to them tomorrow before I take it back. An update would be better than carting my tv all the way back for a replacement. It only updated yesterday so I doubt it's been pulled off air yet but it does seem odd that there's no mention of it on the Samsung website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you scroll to 1min 30s in this video it shows you videos from Facebook that your friends have likes or uploaded but my screen is blank. When I click on the Friends' Picks it says loading for ages then eventually pops up a message saying "Cannot execute the required work. Please try again later." Hitting refresh just brings about the same message.

This didn't happen prior to the update so obviously there's an issue with the latest firmware. I know it might sound trivial and it's not something I use a lot but if something isn't working is shows there's a fault which needs addressing.