Options

Good horror movies???

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    the grudge was the film that really scared the hell out of me but i have to say found footage horror movies like paranormal activity rec and the blair witch project are awful they dont work as films because of the way they are filmed and the terrible acting involved
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    damo1988 wrote: »
    the grudge was the film that really scared the hell out of me but i have to say found footage horror movies like paranormal activity rec and the blair witch project are awful they dont work as films because of the way they are filmed and the terrible acting involved

I agree with you there! I have seen hundreds of horrors they are my faves, even the low budget ones. But found footage films drive me insane!

A couple not mentioned that were good:

Rest Stop
    Dead End (bit older but really good!)

:)
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    There are some excellent old horrors posted on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/60sHorrorRealm

Is just one of many channels posting stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I have been looking on Amazon for horror films..I have some money left ( about £ 2.00) on a gift card and just browsing dvd's..Aleady bought Dead Silence and have bought American werewolf in london ( coming soon :D)..These i noted down but look good

The Unborn
    Halloween 3 ( have seen it )
    Cubbyhouse
    Dead End
    Timber Falls
    Darkness Falls
    Deadly Manor
    Fingerprints
    Death Tunnel

anyone seen any of them, ? and are they any good

I get the used dvd's which come to baout £ 1.80 ..Purchased some in the past and you cant tell they used ones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I bought Shuttle ..I seen that film afew years ago..good film. but it has never been on tv..well i cant remember it being on telly :( Good suspence movie with a twist at the end :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    ah.... like a visit old friend, the "good horror Movies" thread get revived once again.

My recommendations haven't changed much from the last time around... Best action horror is still The Horde - described as "die hard with zombies" - and rightfully so. and it doesn't hurt that it's one of the few foreign language horror movies with a decent english dub.

best independent - the Feast trilogy.... outrageous, OTT, so bad it's good... watch it and see

Best classic... the original DOTD.... always was... always will be.

Special mentions - The Dead (2011): zombies in Africa - Splinter(2008): alien parasites attack in an isolated gas station

the WTF? award for most awful movie of all time - Zombie Christ (2010) you would really have to search to find this...... it isn't worth it, trust me.

See Y'all next time around
  • Options
    DHWDHW Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    damo1988 wrote: »

See now i'am the opposite because i pefer these fims because you rarely see the monster and i find that scarier then say a michaels myers or freddy kruger, don't get me wrong i still like halloween and nightmare on elm street but theres just something alot more terrifying about the thing you can't see.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any fans of The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, a really good zombie film made in my home county?
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed The Disappeared(2008) more than most horror films I've seen in recent years. It's a fairly desolate, despairing movie set around London tower blocks and centred on a missing child whose brother is obssessed with finding out what happened to him. If you're attracted by the concept of british-social-realism-does-psychological-horror, you'll be hard pressed to find a better example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed The Disappeared(2008) more than most horror films I've seen in recent years. It's a fairly desolate, despairing movie set around London tower blocks and centred on a missing child whose brother is obssessed with finding out what happened to him. If you're attracted by the concept of british-social-realism-does-psychological-horror, you'll be hard pressed to find a better example.

seen, and thought it was crap
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    seen, and thought it was crap

I see you recommended The Happening a few pages back. :eek:

We're listing horror films in this thread, not comedies.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Eden lake.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The Omen.
    you just can't go wrong with Gregory Peck!
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Horror channel on freesat shows some good films. Zoltan, Hound of Dracula (1978), is on at 9pm, and Backwoods (2006) is on at 10.55pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simon Says is a gore fest fun film :D

Starts off
    with these teens in the woods..Their van breaks down and theres a thug hiding somewhere..He kills them off one by one..One of the girls have this cd player ( with a cd disc in ( not ipod lol)..the killer kills her and dumps her , takes her cd disc and rams it in her mouth..Her mates hear her music playing and trace it, and see her head spinning the cd disc in her mouth, very gruesome seeing it lol..
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a HUGE horror film fan, I would reccomend:

Oldies
    The Exorcist not only a classic horror film, but IMO one of the all time films in any genre. I only watched this a couple of months ago and I was scared witless. However my younger sister watched it and laughed all the way through. I think you need to take it seriously and go in with an open mind

Psycho
    I adore Hitchcock and Vertigo is without a doubt my favourite film however if you are looking for a classic scare then Psycho is the one to watch if only for Anthony Perkins spine chilling performance

Halloween the original John Carpenter film is a classic and one to watch on Halloween in the dark

Alien I'm not really a sci fi fan but watched before going to see Prometheus, what started as something to watch in the background soon turned in to one of the best horror films ive seen - especially that scene

Recent
    Eden Lake a slow burning, realistic cat and mouse horror film that will leave you watching behind a pillow, some VERY gory scenes that will stay with you but very entertaining

Creep I love Famke, I think she is a brilliant actress and she shines in this surreal yet real horror film, will put you off the tube for life

Mean Creek not a horror film in the classic sense but one that will still stay with you, the childrens acting is superb (see a young Rory Culkin) and the detail is very realistic - won't make you jump but will leave you hooked

Gothika widely derided and critically mauled, I LOVE this film, I think it's got the perfect blend of horror and psychological thriller and I didn't see the twist coming at all. Scoff all you want, Gothika is creepy.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of my top horrors:

Scream 1-4
    Halloween series
    Friday the 13th series
    Psycho series
    Texas chainsaw series
    Nightmare on elm street series
    Sleepaway camp trilogy
    The burning
    Prom night series
    Terror train
    Hellraiser
    children of the corn
    the fog original
    Sielnce of the lambs/hannibal
    Carrie 1/2
    saw series
    childs play series
    Phantoms
    i know what you did last summer

I have more on this list
    http://www.imdb.com/list/SKrHqk4Ytxk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Some really nice horror movies that i have also liked so much are SAW 1, Resident Evil Series, Wrong Turn. These are some movies that i liked so much. All of these movies are really horrible and scary to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    smiley 2012
  • Options
    Forum Member
    May is a good horror
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, not a horror movie, but it's goose-bump inducing

mark sudduth and mike watkins in Hurricane Ike

listen to the sound of the winds howling from inside the hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZt5DjMg3Yc
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is probably more of a thriller than a horror, but The Strangers was quite scary.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try some of the British portmanteau films from the early seventies- From Beyond the Grave in particular is good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another i like to watch is Straightheads :o..horror/thriller, might even buy it lol