Options

Shows that reference other shows

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Was watching Supergirl the other night when her and her sister mentioned their usual pizza and Game of Thrones night.

I just wondered how often shows reference other shows.

The Big Bang Theory is almost built around them being comic book geeks so plenty of references to Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars and the like.

But do you ever hear the EastEnders characters discussing the big Corrie plot?

Comments

• Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Guy - huge amounts of other shows mentioned all the time, usually referred to or parodied in very clever ways.

For a non-cartoon, nothing really comes straight to mind. It's probably a dumb legal thing, as you also never hear anyone in soaps going to see One Direction or Little Mix, or even anyone in Corrie mention City or United...or any football, come to mention it!
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember House asking Wilson once if he had forgotten to TIVO "The L Word".
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    But do you ever hear the EastEnders characters discussing the big Corrie plot?

Dot Cotton did say a few years ago that she was going home to watch the live Coronation Street episode'
    or even anyone in Corrie mention City or United...or any football, come to mention it!

Corrie did use to mention football and the street had its own City and Man U fans but now they only ever talk about the fictional Weatherfield County.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who often does. Can recall Eastenders, Corrie, The Apprentice for example.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Didn't Brookside have its own fictional soap within the show that people watched/referenced, Meadowcroft Park I think...?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Quite early in the Walking Dead there was a huge nod to Breaking Bad. One of the characters had blue meth in his belongings.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Castle used to mention "Firefly" a lot (not surprising as Nathan Fillon played the lead in that too), but also has mentioned shows like The Walking Dead, Dr Who too.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Hawaii 5-0(New version) has mentioned Magnum PI and sung the theme tune to it,

Also talked about which character they would be from CHiPs in one episode
  • Options
    DroodDrood Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suits do it all the time, although I find it a bit weird when they've referenced Game of Thrones because at least 2 GoT actors have also appeared in Suits.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was watching Supergirl the other night when her and her sister mentioned their usual pizza and Game of Thrones night.
    Drood wrote: »
    Suits do it all the time, although I find it a bit weird when they've referenced Game of Thrones because at least 2 GoT actors have also appeared in Suits.

It might well be easier to list the shows that haven't referenced Game of Thrones over the last few years ;-)

Parks and Recreations, 2 Broke Girls, Southpark and The Simpsons (opening title sequence) are a few more.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Castle used to mention "Firefly" a lot (not surprising as Nathan Fillon played the lead in that too), but also has mentioned shows like The Walking Dead, Dr Who too.

Oh you can't forget the episode called Murder He Wrote, where Ryan references Murder She Wrote.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

There have been Doctor Who references in Arrow and Leverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKMIfZPAi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM3iTPghcMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgHojc6drw

The Walking Dead has been refered to at least twice in another zombie series Z Nation

One character mentioned meeting up with an ex-cop and a bunch of people holed up in a prison and another occasion someone mentioned a dirty guy with a crossbow (Daryl Dixon) trying to rescue George RR Martin at a convention when the zombie apocalypse broke out.
  • Options
    TOTP_81TOTP_81 Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker used to reference Dr Who on Little Britain
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Drood wrote: »

Ah yes, Harvey and Mike have quote offs don't they.

Also, I think it may be from Breaking Bad (never watched it) but Mike got into a habit of saying Sheeeiiit!
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Supergirl also mentions Call the Midwife.
    TOTP_81 wrote: »
    Tom Baker used to reference Dr Who on Little Britain
    And Blackadder.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big Bang Theory usually references DC and Marvel although DC does seem to referenced more since it like The Big Bang Theory is owned by Warner Bros,
  • Options
    stewartbstewartb Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

I like those, particular the ID choosing one. Pleasing for people who spot it whilst it is harmless for people who don't.
    Shrike wrote: »
    Doctor Who often does

I rather liked the rather more dangerous, if not fatal, versions of other quiz shows featured in Bad Wolf especially with the real hosts of the shows concerned providing the voices (Weakest Link, Big Brother, What Not To Wear)

The Chase and Pointless hosts occasionally refer to each other jokingly (fake-disparagingly)

I always liked (Dirk Benedict) Face's double-take in the opening titles of The A-Team when a Cylon warrior from the original Battlestar Galactica strolls past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Way back in '89 when Dirty Den was banged up in EE, fellow prisoner Queenie raved about Corrie and Hilda Ogden.

Early Casualty used to have characters watching EE before disaster struck them

There are in-universe references too; Brookside featured characters reading a newspaper whose headline referenced the airplane crash in Emmerdale, as if it were a real life event. And St Elsewhere used to reference other shows all the time; several of the characters went for a drink at Cheers, where waitress Carla complained about the level of maternity care at St Eligius, one character claimed to have served in Korea with BJ Hunnicutt (from MASH) and Ed Begley's character appeared in Homicide: Life On The Street, whilst another became a regular in Chicago Hope. Also from Homicide was the character of Det John Munch who also went on to become a regular in Law and Order SVU, appeared in The Wire and was even mentioned as a US contact in the first series of Luther.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, Harvey and Mike have quote offs don't they.

Also, I think it may be from Breaking Bad (never watched it) but Mike got into a habit of saying Sheeeiiit!

That's from The Wire :)
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Didn't Brookside have its own fictional soap within the show that people watched/referenced, Meadowcroft Park I think...?[/QUOTE

When it first started Hollyoaks was referenced as a TV show in Brookside. Although this later changed with at least one character crossover and mentions of events in both shows so Hollyoaks went from a TV show in the Brookside fictional universe to being part of the same fictional universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Hawaii 5-0(New version) has mentioned Magnum PI and sung the theme tune to it,

Also talked about which character they would be from CHiPs in one episode

Fairly certain Magnum PI used to reference Hawaii 5-0 too (the original version, obvs) the police were referred to as 5-0 and I think McGarrett was mentioned as if he was a real character
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Character in Line of Duty called "Dot" Cottan.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    Didn't Brookside have its own fictional soap within the show that people watched/referenced, Meadowcroft Park I think...?[/QUOTE

When it first started Hollyoaks was referenced as a TV show in Brookside. Although this later changed with at least one character crossover and mentions of events in both shows so Hollyoaks went from a TV show in the Brookside fictional universe to being part of the same fictional universe.

There was one occasion in the '80s when there was a Corrie VHS video visible on the shelves in the Kabin, I remember at least one person writing to Oracle to point it out (!) Although this was presumably just an "in-joke" rather than an acknowledgement that Corrie exists within the universe of Corrie (which would rupture the space-time continuum somewhat :))
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mark_spark wrote: »
    And St Elsewhere used to reference other shows all the time; several of the characters went for a drink at Cheers, where waitress Carla complained about the level of maternity care at St Eligius, one character claimed to have served in Korea with BJ Hunnicutt (from MASH) and Ed Begley's character appeared in Homicide: Life On The Street, whilst another became a regular in Chicago Hope. Also from Homicide was the character of Det John Munch who also went on to become a regular in Law and Order SVU, appeared in The Wire and was even mentioned as a US contact in the first series of Luther.

Like a shedload of other US shows they are all part of the Tommy Westphall Universe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tv-show-fake-tommy-westphall-universe_us_55f84ba1e4b00e2cd5e8118a
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Dot Cotton did say a few years ago that she was going home to watch the live Coronation Street episode'

A few years ago there was a Children In Need special with some folk from Coronation Street, in character, visiting Albert Square. I remember Kym Marsh's character was supposed to be an old friend of Alfie Moon. Admittedly that is not a regular episode but could be seen as showing that CS exists as a real place in the same universe, and as a TV show in Eastenders. Wibbly wobbly. ;-)

Another similar scenario is with the Dimensions In Time special (also for CiN) that had the Doctor (Dr Who) appearing in Albert Square interacting with the characters. Later in the regular show Bradley was a fan of the TV show Dr Who, even visiting the exhibition. So again you could argue Dr Who exists for real and as fiction at the same time in Eastenders. Even more wibbly wobbly. :p

I know these are not regular episodes, and the idea that the Doctor and Daleks etc., are real in the universe of Eastenders is crazy but the footage is there nonetheless.