Louis Theroux: Drinking to Oblivion, BBC 2 9pm

Comments

• FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's a good illustration that not all people with drink problems exhibit the same indicators or actions. That's why some people with an issue are so good at hiding it from even their loved ones. He thankfully seems a lot more in control and able to change than a lot of people with drink issues. I suspect he knows that.

He was at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vidic wrote: »
    Ignorance is on the other hand is an illness.

An alky does not turn up with a bottle of sparkling Perrier. Hamming it up for the cameras.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What she just said is the root of it. She's desperately seeking family because she never had one. So she puts up with it. I hope when she said "it's just the drink talking" that he's actually a bit nicer when he's sober. It's sad. Her entire life story is sad. Sometimes people are battling against the cards they were given.

Not just that but in terms of her alcoholism, it has been present throughout all the identity development she experienced from mid teens onward. She has never been an adult, functioning in the world without alcohol. From her perspective she probably cant change, she doesnt know who she is without that there.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An alky does not turn up with a bottle of sparkling Perrier. Hamming it up for the cameras.

Well don't forget he was already in the detox ward before Louis even met him with the camera crew. So clearly something was going on before the cameras arrived. Enough to warrant him being admitted to hospital. Like I said.. perhaps he isn't at the extreme end of the scale. His drinking seems to be more binges over a period of time than years and years of alcohol abuse. A problem can take different forms.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Vidic wrote: »
    Ignorance on the other hand is an illness.
    And delusion isn't?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its likely that he wanted the detox but couldnt go without the drink so went off to get one but came back with the water (after drinking the vodka) so that they wouldnt refuse him the detox.

You dont know very much about this subject judging by your ignorant posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mesonychid wrote: »
    I have a drink etc.................everyday the same

I hope if you want to change things you're able to soon. Don't ever give up hope.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All it takes is one extremely bad day where you feel at your absolute worse and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. So you have 1 drink... then maybe another one... yeah why not just one more, then before you know it you are an addicted and your body craves for it.

People can be naive and too judgemental when it comes to illness or with addiction, when supporting those in need is so much more important. Tbh I've had days where I've felt at my lowest and turned to drink, it's all to easy and not as simple some may think it is.
    Forum Member
    Ah so you don't believe in addiction either.
    We're talking about whether it's an illness. If you can choose to be tee-total for whatever amount of time, it can't be an illness.
  • mesonychidmesonychid Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope if you want to change things you're able to soon. Don't ever give up hope.

thanks .......:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    People can be naive and too judgemental when it comes to illness or with addiction, when supporting those in need is so much more important. Tbh I've had days where I've felt at my lowest and turned to drink, it's all to easy and not as simple some may think it is.

I think sometimes people just struggle to understand why folk can't make the choice to stop doing something that could be negative for them.. not fully appreciating that often that person is fighting against their own brain and what's going on inside it. So whilst they may want to stop.. they can't. And there are often various factors at play.. such as emotional issues.. past issues.. or just a reliance on alcohol in general that may not have been used as a crutch at the time but has become one due to addiction. It's probably not their fault as such. They may not have such issues themselves. But anyone who has suffered from addiction or even a mental health issue will understand that it's not as simple as clicking your fingers. Far from it. That's the reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes people just struggle to understand why folk can't make the choice to stop doing something that could be negative for them.. not fully appreciating that often that person is fighting against their own brain and what's going on inside it. So whilst they may want to stop.. they can't. And there are often various factors at play.. such as emotional issues.. past issues.. or just a reliance on alcohol in general that may not have been used as a crutch at the time but has become one due to addiction. It's probably not their fault as such. They may not have such issues themselves. But anyone who has suffered from addiction or even a mental health issue will understand that it's not as simple as clicking your fingers. Far from it. That's the reality.

brill said :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    We're talking about whether it's an illness. If you can choose to be tee-total for whatever amount of time, it can't be an illness.

But it's never just a choice. You have to win the battle against your own mind that's screaming at you to have a drink. Or have a smoke. Or whatever other thing you struggle with. That's the battle people have to win along with making the choice. Beating addiction is going up against your own body.. your own brain.. and winning. And the best word to describe that is an illness. And I think it's the right word to use. The same way "mental illness" is the correct term for anxiety. Or depression.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Its likely that he wanted the detox but couldnt go without the drink so went off to get one but came back with the water (after drinking the vodka) so that they wouldnt refuse him the detox.

You dont know very much about this subject judging by your ignorant posts.

You can't spot clear attention seeking behaviour. The nurse was going to get him to sling his hook before Louis gave her a dig in the ribs to help him out. I'm from the west coast of Scotland, alcoholism is a national sport here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it's never just a choice. You have to win the battle against your own mind that's screaming at you to have a drink. Or have a smoke. Or whatever other thing you struggle with. That's the battle people have to win along with making the choice. Beating addiction is going up against your own body.. your own brain.. and winning. And the best word to describe that is an illness. And I think it's the right word to use. The same way "mental illness" is the correct term for anxiety. Or depression.

oh I try noit to drink
    but do
    damnnit !
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's probably hard to understand something if you haven't experienced it yourself.

I've never been addicted to anything or got an illness but I do know life isn't that simple and people have their own demons they're fighting, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to stop an addiction. But I can also see why people fall into it.
  • Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why as his interview style can come across as being a little odd, but I really like Louis and his work.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Addiction to alcohol can manifest itself in many different ways and of course is not the same for every person.

I was what you'd call a 'functioning' alcoholic. I held down a good job, kids, happy family life, but I'd been a drinker since I was 14. In fact, no one would have had a clue my drinking problem was so bad. I eventually gave up when I was 47, cold turkey overnight. I'm now in my mid 50's and haven't or won't ever touch a drop again. I think there is a drinking gene so to speak, my brother was an alcoholic and died of liver failure, so it does run in my family. It can of course be a mental health problem, but with me I just liked a drink socially and I just got worse and worse over the years. Who knows why some people can just stop and others not - if you'd have told me I'd never have another drink again I'd have said I could never do it - but something just clicked I suppose, but I'm glad it did and I don't even miss it now.
    Forum Member
    Screaming for decades?:confused: That's how long people can DECIDE to remain tee-total.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    Addiction to alcohol can manifest itself in many different ways and of course is not the same for every person.

I was what you'd call a 'functioning' alcoholic. I held down a good job, kids, happy family life, but I'd been a drinker since I was 14. In fact, no one would have had a clue my drinking problem was so bad.

me but family gone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screaming for decades?:confused: That's how long people can DECIDE to remain tee-total.

my god drin.k screams at you mate
    everywhere you go go
    its there !!!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex was an alcoholic - I must admit I still don't fully understand it. It was exasperating to watch someone throw their health down the toilet.

If that bloke having his abdominal cavity drained of fluid because his liver was no longer functioning didn't put people off, nothing would.
  • daisy_johnsdaisy_johns Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satellite wrote: »

I was what you'd call a 'functioning' alcoholic. I held down a good job, kids, happy family life, but I'd been a drinker since I was 14. In fact, no one would have had a clue my drinking problem was so bad. I eventually gave up when I was 47, cold turkey overnight. I'm now in my mid 50's and haven't or won't ever touch a drop again. I think there is a drinking gene so to speak, my brother was an alcoholic and died of liver failure, so it does run in my family. It can of course be a mental health problem, but with me I just liked a drink socially and I just got worse and worse over the years. Who knows why some people can just stop and others not - if you'd have told me I'd never have another drink again I'd have said I could never do it - but something just clicked I suppose, but I'm glad it did and I don't even miss it now.

Well done, I wish I had your willpower
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instant judgment on the boyfriend (Gary) of that French/Cameroonian woman.
    What. a. T**T.

Yes, but he did perform the valuable function of reminding us that not all alcoholics are like the nice ones featured in the rest of the show.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You really aren't getting it are you? Alcoholics do not DECIDE to let their life be ruined by alcohol. It creeps up on them until they no longer have control . It's often when they are rock bottom they KNOW they have to stop. If it was easy to decide to stop everyone would stop first go and that would be the same for all addictive substances .