Are dry eye drops as effective as lacrilube ointment?

im sooo fatim sooo fat Posts: 130
Forum Member
more specifically this:
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Dry-Eyes-Intensive-Eye-Drops_1288904/

I wear rgp contact lenses but my corneas were slowly being scratched by them, so the optician suggested using lacrilube ointment to lube up my eyes as the scratching was probably due to friction caused by dry eyes (not producing enough tears). Lacrilube is SUCH a pain to apply though, I've ended up wasting half the tube trying to put them in. And there's loads of other reasons too. So I bought these eye drops today, they're contact lense friendly according to the instructions but are they as effective as lacrilube ointment? Will they help my stop my cornea being scratched?

Thanks

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    You'll probably have to experiment to see what works best for you and things like artelac, optive and systane might help with day time relief and refresh pm for night time use. I'd also suggest discussing with your optician whether you would be suitable for the current generation of flexible silicon hydrogel contact lenses of which there are many to choose from.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have dry eyes, I dont wear contacts but these are the drops the boots optician recommended to treat my dry eyes. http://www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk/Hyabak-Hyab.html I cant find them on boots website though.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Supersavers and get one of the 99p bottles of standard eye drops. It's hypromellose, which is exactly what a doctor would prescribe. You have to use them within a month to lessen the risk of contamination.
  • Natuk80Natuk80 Posts: 11,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have got dry eyes too because of my Pterygium. :( My consultant recommended me Systane Ultra UD Eye Drops, I saw the consultant this week and gave at least 6 pack. They are good and helping me.