Sending a text message to a landline number

phasesphases Posts: 255
Forum Member
I just discovered that it's possible to send a text message to a landline number and would like to find out if the landline number gets charged for receiving the message? Has this service been around for a long time?

Comments

• Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    phases wrote: »
    I just discovered that it's possible to send a text message to a landline number and would like to find out if the landline number gets charged for receiving the message? Has this service been around for a long time?
    YEARS, send one saying "i know where you live", i guarantee the receiver will kak themselves, and be straight on to the police.:D
    I know as i accidentally sent that exact message to the mother in laws landline instead of my wifes mobile, when i got to the house they were about to call the police and her mother was being fawned over by all the family as she was shaken up by the apparent threatening phone call that everyone was convinced was their other daughters ex boyfriend.
    Never made that mistake again, and it was an excellent ice breaker meeting the new in laws:blush:
    just call me focker.:D
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    YEARS, send one saying "i know where you live", i guarantee the receiver will kak themselves, and be straight on to the police.:D
    I know as i accidentally sent that exact message to the mother in laws landline instead of my wifes mobile, when i got to the house they were about to call the police and her mother was being fawned over by all the family as she was shaken up by the apparent threatening phone call that everyone was convinced was their other daughters ex boyfriend.
    Never made that mistake again, and it was an excellent ice breaker meeting the new in laws:blush:
    just call me focker.:D

That's one for the grandkids (although, jesting aside I can imagine it to be un-nerving!) but yeah I've done it in the past...

Quite weird hearing it read out on a landline as it's sooooo slow.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at one time, i think they had guest voices reading the texts.
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    No the landline is not charged.
  • artyclartyartyclarty Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    at one time, i think they had guest voices reading the texts.

They had Tom Baker for a time. My friends and I spent too many hours texting each other's landline asking for jelly babies and quoting his lines in Little Britain...
  • petefpetef Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Some landline phones are able to receive and send SMS, mine is set up to do so. Texts are read out to other recipients. There is no charge for receiving, only sending.

--
    Pete Forman
    http://petef.22web.org/payg.html
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artyclarty wrote: »
    They had Tom Baker for a time. My friends and I spent too many hours texting each other's landline asking for jelly babies and quoting his lines in Little Britain...

We sent dirty voice texts to each other, we thought it was hilarious at the time :D