Options

Would a female Doctor actually be that bad?

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Not really they will still be the same person all what will have changed is the trimmings.

When someone has a sex change they are still the same person

While that is true, the situation is rather less clear in the case of Gallifreyan regeneration. 10 was pretty upset at having to go and clearly viewed it as the death of his personality. The moral core is clearly the same, but other aspects of personality do change. So, is he really the same character when the Doctor regenerates?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    nyder wrote: »
    But it wouldn't be a sex change in the way you seem to be thinking. If you had a sex change it would be 'just the trimmings' you would not actually really change sex.
    Actually you are the only difference is you can't have kids apart from that for all intents you have changed sex even down to a biological level.

The Doctor would just be the same he/she would change the way they acted he hardly acts like a bloke anyway just a oddball.

I can't think of any decision he's ever made what he couldn't have as female (Ok with the exception of getting married and becoming a Dad) but overall his decisions are not made because of his sex but rather who he is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    While that is true, the situation is rather less clear in the case of Gallifreyan regeneration. 10 was pretty upset at having to go and clearly viewed it as the death of his personality. The moral core is clearly the same, but other aspects of personality do change. So, is he really the same character when the Doctor regenerates?

Exactly so you could use the same argument no matter who he changes into.
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »

We all accept that he is the same character as do the writers. He is fundamentally a "madman in a box".

I like to think of it as each Doctor is an exploration of various aspects of his personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually you are the only difference is you can't have kids apart from that for all intents you have changed sex even down to a biological level.

No you haven't!!!
    I can't think of any decision he's ever made what he couldn't have as female (Ok with the exception of getting married and becoming a Dad) but overall his decisions are not made because of his sex but rather who he is

Then you haven't watched much Hartnell or Pertwee in particular. You don't get any more male oriented behavior.

Please remember that this is a programme that children watch as well, remember what RTD said about the issue, "I don't want to have to explain to kids about what happened to the Doctors willy."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your put the wrong female actor in you could kill the series. You put the wrong male actor in you could ruin the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you haven't!!!

Then you haven't watched much Hartnell or Pertwee in particular. You don't get any more male oriented behavior.

Please remember that this is a programme that children watch as well, remember what RTD said about the issue, "I don't want to have to explain to kids about what happened to the Doctors willy."

Actually you have everything changes not just your outer appearance.

That was 50-30 odd years ago then that's how male characters were supposed to act.

Kids won't even think about that.

I really don't see how it will change him that much it's not like there will be a alien invasion and she will refuse to leave the TARDIS until her hair and make up is done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually you have everything changes not just your outer appearance.

That was 50-30 odd years ago then that's how male characters were supposed to act.

Kids won't even think about that.

I really don't see how it will change him that much it's not like there will be a alien invasion and she will refuse to leave the TARDIS until her hair and make up is done

Your knowledge of sex changes are a little warped. That is why any transgendered males are still legally men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your knowledge of sex changes are a little warped. That is why any transgendered males are still legally men.
    No the law changed a few years ago they are legally female now if they commit a crime say they will get sent to a female prison they can use female bathrooms and changing rooms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <Male Companion> - Doctor the Daleks are attacking us.

<Female Doctor> - Yes, but does my bum look big in this?

<Male Companion> - Doctor, we haven't got time for any of that.

<Female Doctor> - Oh of course not, you've never got any time for me have you. But I noticed you had plenty of time for that 3 breasted Cyberwoman last week. You were drooling so much we were nearly swimming.

<Male Companion> - Doctor, they're right on us, Do something or we'll be blown to pieces

<Female Doctor> - I really don't know why I bother. You never notice anything I wear. I spend hours selecting my outfits and you're more interested in what's going on outside. Sometimes I think you wouldn't care if I went out wearing a sack.

Loud bang, explosion on part of console

<Male Companion>- We're hit.

<Female Doctor> - Oh great, there goes my hairdryer.

Another explosion, doctor falls

<Female Doctor> - Well that does it, I've laddered my tights now. Look at that.

<Male Companion>- Doctor we're gonna die.

<Female Doctor> - Well I'm not going out there looking like something the cat's dragged in.

<Male Companion> - FOR GODS SAKE DOCTOR.

<Female Doctor> - Don't you dare shout at me like that, you know I don't like it. (Bursts into tears) You never really loved me.

<Male Companion> - ohhh, of course I do.

<Female Doctor> - Really?

<Male Companion> - Yes.

<Female Doctor> - Good then wait there whilst I get changed. I know just the right dress.

• Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the whole regeneration thing, I think the character of the Doctor does change whenever he regenerates, however each new regeneration is always going to be informed by his previous regeneration e.g. 11 was influenced by 10, 10 by 9 etc. Though I did start this thread, I dont think a female Doctor would be a good decision to make right now, everyone would have trouble accepting, even I would. However I do think a female Doctor might be possible in the future if done well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love these debates though. No other programme creates such weird subjects to discuss and argue about with such passion.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I have breasts now, breasts are cool."
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long at it was a good enough actress (someone non another forum suggested Kate Winslett!) I don't have a problems with a female Doctor. It will never happen though so people really need to calm down a bit!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Of course they'd be a different character, Their gender would have changed for Christs sake!!!! If you don't know the difference between men and women by now you should really have a word with your mum (or your dad, if you can tell which is which).
    So? Gender (or rather, sex) is a matter of genetics, not character. The only fundamental difference between men and women is chromosomal - and the Doctor's chromosomes get re-written when he regenerates.
    But it wouldn't be a sex change in the way you seem to be thinking. If you had a sex change it would be 'just the trimmings' you would not actually really change sex. But if the Doctor regenerated into a woman he really has changed sex, she would think and behave like a woman. We can all talk about equality but men and women think and behave differently therefore fundamentally changing the character of the Doctor.

You appear to have some very strange preconceptions about women.

Men and women don't think and behave differently, except in the bathroom or labour ward. You can plausibly argue that men and women have tendencies to behave in certain ways, but 1) these are often culturally-imposed, and 2) any general vague tendency is easily swamped by the specific behaviour of the individual.

And the Doctor's behaviour is as individual as it comes.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helena Bonham Carter plz.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've been treated by female Doctors many times. Obviously, it was difficult to get used to at first, as 'Doctor' is clearly a male title, but they very nearly do as good a job as men now, the dainty things. I mean, their brains are much smaller than men's, and they lack the physical strength that men have, but other than that, I don't see much difference.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    Helena Bonham Carter plz.

Inspired! :)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I love these debates though. No other programme creates such weird subjects to discuss and argue about with such passion.

:D

Yes, perhaps a blessing and a curse with the show too though.

The Doctor to me, is intrinsically male as a character. We can argue about it til we're blue in the face but it won't happen. It's too big a risk for the show to take.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it happened, it would kill the show.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I think what people aren't realising is that they are talking from a fanboy perspective. It would only kill the show for definite in their eyes.

You cannot know that it will kill the show - but for the majority of the population who watch tv, I would imagine they don't raise too many thoughts about it. You also cannot know that it will never happen. It might.

And quite frankly, so what if it no longer appeals to you? Many other changes could have that same effect. A change in the style of writing could completely ruin the show some you - we already know it does for some, as they tell us so on this very forum. There are plenty of people bemoaning things about the show they once loved, and guess what - it's still on the telly, still going strong.

Please stop acting like this would be the immediate downfall of the show forever, and that it's the biggest crisis that could ever happen to it. Until it is tried there is absolutely no way to know for sure. And if done well, it might just take the show to places it can't currently go - where, I don't know, because it's not happening yet.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    If it happened, it would kill the show.

Agreed.

There are many, many differences between men and women. They are natural and should be celebrated (rather than the current cultural attempt to erase them).

My friends and I are watching and purchasing the show from the beginning all the way through. (Several of us watching it and two of us each independently purchasing it.) This is a fifteen or so year endeavor with us watching two episodes a week on Sundays. We are also independently watching the current revival of the series and we all loathe what Moffat as the show-runner has done to the show (please see my "I am woman hear me roar" Moffat rant earlier in this thread). For some strange reason, Moffat seems keen on turning the show into a woman centered show (and he has) and the Doctor into a woman.

We hate the "time-lords can regenerate into the other gender" shtick that he inserted into the show.

We hate the fact that Amy introduced the show as her own (with the Doctor seeming more like the sidekick rather than the other way around) for so long.

We hate the fact that two humans can apparently have sex in the Tardis and create a time-lord. (What in the world? It;s stupidly ridiculous. Heck, if that is the case then just invite 50 humans into the Tardis for an orgy and restart the whole time-lord race.)

We hate the fact that nearly every week the episode turns into what random woman (or female sidekick) will save the universe/galaxy/world this week while the Doctor is merely little more than observer.

If the Doctor is made into a female, it will ruin the show for us and we will stop watching it and purchasing it. We have had lengthy talks on the subject of this and on Moffat. It will ruin the show for us the same way that Episode I ruined Star Wars.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    We hate the fact that Amy introduced the show as her own (with the Doctor seeming more like the sidekick rather than the other way around) for so long.

I presume you mean the intro BBC America added on?

Hardly something you can blame Moffat for, if it was his idea it would have been on the orginal as well.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I presume you mean the intro BBC America added on?

Hardly something you can blame Moffat for, if it was his idea it would have been on the orginal as well.

That stupid intro is not on the British version? Interesting. We are not watching the current stuff via the BBC America but via Netflix. We attributed the intro to Moffat partly because he is the show runner, partly because of his statements "Doctor Who is not about the Doctor so much as it is the story of his companions" and the like.

Thanks for the information, I will look into this. Do you have any links?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    There are many, many differences between men and women. They are natural and should be celebrated (rather than the current cultural attempt to erase them).

I honestly don't see it that way as I said the only real difference is the trimmings it wouldn't affect someone's personality especially someone like The Doctor's

If someone wants to use the stereotype for females why she wouldn't save the world then it would be just as fair to use the stereotype for men in that he's be more interested in chasing women going to the pub and watching football than saving the world.