Humax HDR-FOX T2 network problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Hi there,

I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 and have had no real problems with it. The only difficulty I am having is with the network. I have networked the box OK, and am able to access files on my PC, however as and when I add new files to my computer, they are not always being picked up by the box. I can browse to the correct folder and all the old files are there, but the new ones don't show up. This only happens sometimes, and with some files, seemingly at random. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? I initially thought the problem was to do with cutting and pasting files, rather than moving them as such, but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. Have also tried restarting the box and my PC, which doesn't do much either. Any help gratefully received!

Louise

Comments

• misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your PC is streaming the files to the Fox rather than the Fox reading files on the PC via the network. If you are using a recent version of Windows the streaming is probably being done by Windows Media Player. This streams only the files in its media library. Files are added to the library manually or automatically, depending on the WMP options which are set. You are probably putting the new files in a location not presently monitored by WMP. You can change the settings in the library options or add your new files manually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for that! I had never really understood the slightly strange pathways I needed to follow to get to the files anyway, now I've looked at Media Player it all makes sense, All working fine now. Thanks again,

Louise
  • TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Running Windows 7, I've made sure that any video folders on the PC that I want to see on the Humax are part of the Videos Library and then run Windows media Player which updates it's library when it's run. The videos then show up on the Humax.

The other alternative is to run a dedicated DLNA server on the PC which then shows up on the Humax. Twonky is one that always seems to get good reviews and there are a number of others - some free some you need to purchase. Don't forget that the Humax will only play a fairly limited number of formats so, depending upon the types of files you've got, you may find that a DLNA server that can transcode on the fly would be an advantage.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimA-C wrote: »
    Twonky is one that always seems to get good reviews
    Be aware that some versions of Twonky will crash the Humax within a few seconds of it starting.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that! Now I'm getting more familiar with WMP that seems to work quite well... Will look into Twonky also.

As an aside, does anyone know if it is possible to get files stored on an external hard drive linked directly to the PC (ie not the USB on the Humax box) to play via the network? I managed to add a folder from my external HDD (NTFS formatted) to the WMP library, and it does show up on my Humax box, but any of the files I select come up saying "file type not supported". I know they should work, as they're AVI files and play fine if I copy them directly onto the PC itself.

I know it would work if I connected the same HDD to the box directly, I just thought it would be quite nifty if I could access the PC's back up drive also.

Thanks again!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise898 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Now I'm getting more familiar with WMP that seems to work quite well... Will look into Twonky also.

As an aside, does anyone know if it is possible to get files stored on an external hard drive linked directly to the PC (ie not the USB on the Humax box) to play via the network? I managed to add a folder from my external HDD (NTFS formatted) to the WMP library, and it does show up on my Humax box, but any of the files I select come up saying "file type not supported". I know they should work, as they're AVI files and play fine if I copy them directly onto the PC itself.

I know it would work if I connected the same HDD to the box directly, I just thought it would be quite nifty if I could access the PC's back up drive also.

Thanks again!

AVI is just a container (it stands for Audio Video Interleave), the actual content can be virtually anything from totally uncompressed content (massive files) to other compression codecs like DV used for the first generation digital video camcorders to mpeg2 (used for SD digital broadcasting and DVD) and variations of mpeg4 like H264/AVC used for HD broadcasting and blu-ray.

Your PC will play them because it has codecs that support the real video content. Some media streamer software can convert the content on the fly (transcode it). It's very unlkely your Foxsat will play back avi files from a media streamer even less from a usb drive, lacking the codecs needed.

Generally you are safe with mpeg2 or mpeg4 content in a transport stream or programme stream container, in any of the standard resolutions used on DVD, blu-ray or broadcast TV.

If you want to know what the avi actually contains get a copy of medianinfo (it's free).

Depending on what's in them conversion may be possible.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for explaining that. I've had AVI files play before on my box, obviously they've contained the correct content, I didn't realise the huge range of differences between files. Converted some files to MP4 and have now got them to play through the external HDD on my PC. Thanks!