Radio 1 boss predicts return of guitar music

13»

Comments

• DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a vicious circle, though, isn't it?

The kids buy what they hear on Radio 1, which gets the music in the singles chart, so Radio 1 plays what's in the singles chart, the kids buy what they hear.... etc.

Not really. Less and less do the charts correspond with Radio 1's playlist.

I doubt guitar music is going to make a comeback. Sure, one off hits here and there, but not much else.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    For me I think of "mainstream" artists as those that are on the radio a lot, on TV a lot, etc.

Someone like Taio Cruz seems to not have any fanbase at all, but he's mainstream, for example. Whilst someone like Kendrick Lamar has a huge fanbase, but isn't mainstream (although he has gotten moreso in recent months). That's the way I see it.

The wiki article I linked to sums it up quite well, although it's a corruption of the true meaning of mainstream - 'Mainstream music denotes music that is familiar and unthreatening to the masses, as for example popular music, pop music, middle of the road music, pop rap or pop rock'
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Non of those are going to set the singles charts alight though, like Brit-pop did (not that it concerns me personally) - Brit-pop was never really part of Indie even though it's confusingly quite often branded in with it.The 'so called' New wave / garage rock / post-punk revival (in many ways an extension of Brit-pop) that peaked from 7 to 10 years ago & also had some chart success.There is no way that type of music will make a comeback in the charts any time soon OR the more underground / indie ? type of bands you listed going to make any real break-through, similarly (again, not that I'm concerned).

My criticism of Indie is that it has become such a confusing tag, mainly due to the fact the more commercially minded record labels have tried to use it as a selling brand.In many ways Indie has lost its validity, in a similar way (not exactly) as Prog Rock did in the late '70's (although that's not a dirty word with music commentators so much these days).Think bands should try to distance themselves away from Indie - it generally doesn't do them any favours any more.Most of these 'so called' Indie bands around today have far wider influences anyway to be pigeon holed into it so much.

good post there... in response to your last para.. i dont think guitar bands can now get away from the 'indie' tag, it appears to be the term now fixed to guitar based music that isnt rock. we used to call it pop...lol.. but that definition now appears to refer to manufactured acts.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Not really. Less and less do the charts correspond with Radio 1's playlist.

I doubt guitar music is going to make a comeback. Sure, one off hits here and there, but not much else.

It depends on your definition of "guitar music" though. Whilst not my thing the majority of bands at the likes of Glastonbury, Reading & Leeds, V Festival, etc, will be guitar-based bands so even on the more commercial level they have never really gone away.

The guitar music I enjoy will never be commercially successful in terms of singles chart success, but as those bands will draw the best part of 100,000 fans to Download in June, as well as all the other festivals on the European circuit, I doubt they or their fans are too bothered.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Radio 1 geezer is saying guitar-based music will make a comeback in the charts - obviously it's not gone anywhere outside the charts and regarding live shows, but it's not charting so much as singles and even as albums (established acts aside).
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yup. The Arcade Fire last album went straight in at number one on the UK albums chart, had a metacritic score in the 90's and they headlined Leeds/Reading - yet the British radio stations still didn't play there music. What chance has good and interesting guitar music got if its ignored by the radio in favour of dreck like The Saturdays (whose albums fail to make the top ten, despict all the marketing!).

Most of the big pop radio stations (Capital FM, etc.) base what they play more off the singles chart, where The Saturdays fare better than most rock artists.