Can't get rid of AdAware

2»

Comments

• guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O Happy Day. I think I've finally deleted it.

As I said, Lavasoft was also hijacking my browser at random, it would throw up a "page can't be found" search engine page, with Lavasoft ads everywhere. This often happened with DS, it even did with Google. Yeah, I really believe Google went off line. :rolleyes: I couldn't manually delete the files, because it would start on boot up, and it was literally impossible to turn off, it would insist on "running in the background", without which the files couldn't be binned.

Absolutely noxious software, I can't believe anyone uses it.

For some reason I got to an "uninstall" icon I've never seen before, and it actually let me do it. Seriously, never download AdAware if you don't want to risk these problems.

Now I just need to find a non-malware adware cleaner.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »

Malwarebytes. Simples.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    O Happy Day. I think I've finally deleted it.

As I said, Lavasoft was also hijacking my browser at random, it would throw up a "page can't be found" search engine page, with Lavasoft ads everywhere. This often happened with DS, it even did with Google. Yeah, I really believe Google went off line. :rolleyes: I couldn't manually delete the files, because it would start on boot up, and it was literally impossible to turn off, it would insist on "running in the background", without which the files couldn't be binned.

Absolutely noxious software, I can't believe anyone uses it.

For some reason I got to an "uninstall" icon I've never seen before, and it actually let me do it. Seriously, never download AdAware if you don't want to risk these problems.

Been a very long time since I last used AdAware. It was then quite well regarded and gave no problems.

Malwarebytes is one of, if not the, best anti malware programs you can get.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Go for the free version. But be aware. The links on the Malwarebytes page to download the free version take you to one of several software download sites. You have to be very careful with these that you click the right download button. I would strongly advise you use an ad blocker add on in your browser when visiting these sites as that will hide most of the spurious download buttons that can confuse you into downloading some rubbish you didn't want.

Also when installing Malwarebytes watch out on the final screen of the installer for an option to install the Trial Version of the paid for Pro version. If it appears it will be ticked, so untick it.

Other than that Malwarbytes is well worth the effort to obtain and install.
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuh, I've got MB and use it regularly, but I didn't think it was an anti-adware programme, just malware. AdAware did seem to help some issues MB did not (if you put aside the browser hijacking). Does MB do the exact same in theory as AdAware?