Options

Video Games v Old School Games

OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi folks, well to the older generation of say 30+ that can remember the old 8 bit-16bit to maybe the playstation 2 era....do you still love old school gaming against what seems now the almost taking part in video games genre.

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 30+, but dont understand what you mean.

What do you mean by taking part?

Do you mean games are too easy now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could say that! didnt you feel that old gaming was more that it was you in control! these days video gaming its like...take part to get to a level then heres a storyline for you! its as though your just a passenger till the end of the journey these days :(
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean games like uncharted which euogamer termed as "interactive butler"
    This reluctance to give the player more than a supporting role can be seen in the use of one treasure at the core of the experience, a cipher-solving contraption once owned by Sir Francis Drake. Come up against a hieroglyphic that needs solving and, rather than giving you the chance to decipher the words using your own mind, your job is simply to press the button that pulls the gizmo out of Drake's pocket. He handles the rest. Your role, here at least, is one of interactive butler.

There are some modern games out that tend not to hold your hand through the whole exeriance. I don't like how some of my favorite series have been dumbed down like tomb raider though. I been replaying annivesry lately, and it is a big eye opener how much tomb raider 2013 was dudebro'd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly the player has a supporting role now taken by the hand almost :(
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not 30 but i much prefer playing some old ps1 classics and ps2 games. most game now are all about online and FPS. much more variety back in the day.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I started playing in the 8bit days and I remember the games with nostalgia but in reality I think most of these games were deliberately made very unforgiving and hard to hide the fact the games were really small by comparison to today's games.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I think most of these games were deliberately made very unforgiving

Actually where i work they made a famous hard game and it was hard purely because QA played it so much they were so damn good at it, the devs were told it was too easy so it kept getting made harder!!!!!!! :o

But that was a few years ago now.
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have made some good modern old school style games in recent years which put some of their older relatives to shame, examples being the new donkey kong coutry and rayman games. And you have great original indie titles like fez and guacamelee which is probaby my favorite indie game and is the best metroidvania outside of super metroid. And although i dread the future of the genre now, cave has been carrying the flag for 2D shoot em ups for a few years.

Another thing with older games which made them harder, you had to wrestle with the controls
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of older games were very short and to increase its lifespan they were made more difficult.

Plenty of modern games that are just as difficult especially in the indie scene.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play a lot of retro games as I prefer them.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I do miss the going to the arcade to play the latest games, used to cost a fortune but still loved it.
    Recently went on holiday and in the sports bar they have an arcade area which had the new Batman arcade machine which was pretty awesome and brought back those memories of yesteryear going to the arcade.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I do miss the going to the arcade to play the latest games, used to cost a fortune but still loved it.
    Recently went on holiday and in the sports bar they have an arcade area which had the new Batman arcade machine which was pretty awesome and brought back those memories of yesteryear going to the arcade.

I miss the RoboCop arcade cabinet in my local chip shop! #Nostalgia 😢
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OUT RUN, AFTERBURNER AND STAR WARS WERE AMAZING ARCADE MACHINES
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I miss the RoboCop arcade cabinet in my local chip shop! #Nostalgia 😢
    OnexOne wrote: »
    OUT RUN, AFTERBURNER AND STAR WARS WERE AMAZING ARCADE MACHINES

Wrestlefest, TMNT, The Simpsons, Double Dragon, Chase HQ, Thunderblade ( helicopter cabinet :cool: ), Mortal Kombat, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA,
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I can remember my dad giving me a stack of 10ps and leaving me while he played the bandits.

I once spent 4 hours playing Operation Wolf with randoms.

Thinking about it,one of the things i miss is playing with complete strangers at a more personal level. Winner stays on, on the Streetfighter 2 cabinet and 4 people crowded around the turtles cabinet with people jumping on and hitting the continue button when someone died.We would often stand in crowds watching while talking about our favourite games and asking each other what consoles we owned. Everyone seem to get along back then.

Maybe it's just the online community, but i found that over the past few years the gaming community have become a dis-likable bunch. People will often use 'win at all costs' strategies and cheat to beat you and iv'e been the victim of hate mail messages as well as people screaming down the mic at me. Then there's certain dedicated forums with many members attacking each other over their console choice and over validating their own choices by rubbishing everything else. It really is a hard hobby to follow and can be really hard to find like minded people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    I can remember my dad giving me a stack of 10ps and leaving me while he played the bandits.

I once spent 4 hours playing Operation Wolf with randoms.

Thinking about it,one of the things i miss is playing with complete strangers at a more personal level. Winner stays on, on the Streetfighter 2 cabinet and 4 people crowded around the turtles cabinet with people jumping on and hitting the continue button when someone died.We would often stand in crowds watching while talking about our favourite games and asking each other what consoles we owned. Everyone seem to get along back then.

Maybe it's just the online community, but i found that over the past few years the gaming community have become a dis-likable bunch. People will often use 'win at all costs' strategies and cheat to beat you and iv'e been the victim of hate mail messages as well as people screaming down the mic at me. Then there's certain dedicated forums with many members attacking each other over their console choice and over validating their own choices by rubbishing everything else. It really is a hard hobby to follow and can be really hard to find like minded people.

Yep! Nothing beats a group of mates hanging around an arcade cabinet! ... gaming seemed more of a social (face to face) experience in them days! 👍

(& how about swapping copied disks @ school with all ya mates in the Amiga days! 😃 ... Nowt better!) 👍😥
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrestlefest, TMNT, The Simpsons, Double Dragon, Chase HQ, Thunderblade ( helicopter cabinet :cool: ), Mortal Kombat, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA,

During my school days I had one of those SuperGun arcade consoles & afew jamma boards such as aliens, double dragon, splatterhouse etc etc ... Really wanted wrestlefest but it was waaaay 2 expensive! 😢 .... my paper round just didn't cut it! 😥
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah that brings back some memories :cool:
    You'd hear that blasting out in the arcade then every now and then you'd hear a AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! and Welcome To The Phantasy Zone Get Ready from Space Harrier.
    http://youtu.be/9YjUj3UbTp4
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16 bit was my favourite gaming era. SNES, Megadrive and Amiga plus all the coin ops like Street Fighter 2 CE, Double Dragon, Dragonninja.

In the 90s I was more than happy to fork out £40 for a game, not so much nowadays.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Games have got a lot easier recently but I think a lot of that is due to the nature of games these days.

Giving the play regenerative health make developing easier as you don't have to worry about health pack placements ect as you know the player will always be able to heal. This practically makes game impossible to fail if you're persistent. We have save systems as well these days which make game easier and of course Youtube also add to making games easier. I can remember numerous time getting stuck and not knowing anyone who knew how to complete a certain section and having to wait in hope that a magazine would print some hints and tips for that game, now if I get stuck I can find a solution in minutes.

Also story really changes how difficult a game should be. Getting stuck on a section for a couple of days will break the flow of the story and worse still, if you make a game too hard a lot of people wont even finish the story. I finish most games these days but can probably count on my fingers the amount of games I finished back in the 8/16 bit era
    He4rt wrote: »

Statistics, Trophies, P2P servers and Party / Group systems have destroyed the friendly community nature of online gaming.

Back in the days of TFC I would change to the losing side if the match was unbalance. But nowadays I wouldn't through fear of damaging that K/D ratio :blush:
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My favourite arcade games in the local video shop were Rastan, Rygar, Slap Fight and Golden Axe. I beat the last two but Golden Axe was expensive at 20p a credit.

I don't so much prefer older games over new games though, but if I could teleport myself back in time for an hour, I would head straight back to the mid to late 80s and spend the time in that poky video shop.

Every day after school me and my friends would get off the bus and go to the video shop and buy sweets from the rows of jars on the back shelf or under the glass cabinet, ask the owner if they had any posters, he usually did, look at the covers of the videos, especially the crap horrors (they dont make them like they used to!), decide which ones we were going to watch next, then listen to the older boys swearing when they were playing the video games and share a cigarette while waiting for our turn on the machines.

Yeah nostalgia :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite arcade games in the local video shop were Rastan, Rygar, Slap Fight and Golden Axe. I beat the last two but Golden Axe was expensive at 20p a credit.

I don't so much prefer older games over new games though, but if I could teleport myself back in time for an hour, I would head straight back to the mid to late 80s and spend the time in that poky video shop.

Every day after school me and my friends would get off the bus and go to the video shop and buy sweets from the rows of jars on the back shelf or under the glass cabinet, ask the owner if they had any posters, he usually did, look at the covers of the videos, especially the crap horrors (they dont make them like they used to!), decide which ones we were going to watch next, then listen to the older boys swearing when they were playing the video games and share a cigarette while waiting for our turn on the machines.

Yeah nostalgia :D

M.A.S.K on the Speccy (from ya local newsagent) for £3 with ya pocket money! 😃... Now that's retro lol 😄 (& a copy of your Sinclair / cvg if ya where lucky!) 👍
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    M.A.S.K on the Speccy (from ya local newsagent) for £3 with ya pocket money! 😃... Now that's retro lol 😄 (& a copy of your Sinclair / cvg if ya where lucky!) 👍

Reading this has reminded me of the days when magazines gave away complete games on cover tapes it also made me think about magazines publishing games that you had to type in yourself, Inevitably these games usually did not work as you either typed the code wrong or it was misprinted.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont want to go back the way though. I used to spend hours on lotus esprit turbo challenge. Game was good in its day but youtube it now....yikes.
    Give me driveclub or forza any day.
    Even step back one gen on consoles to battlefield 4. 22 players, smaller scale. Looks and plays brilliant on our new gen with 64 players.
    However roll on a good few years and folk will look back at these games too and wonder.
    I could do without the release and fix it later attitude of this gen though.