Options

Alien: Isolation

Comments

• Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still not that far into it, but I'm finding the humans trying to kill me a bit frustrating. Which doesn't bode well for when I actually get to do the Alien parts lol.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Completed the game and absolutely loved it. The graphics, atmosphere and storyline all brilliant. Would actually make for a great movie. Anyone who is thinking of getting it, I'd say stop thinking and get it. You won't be disappointed. Here's hoping we get a sequel.

I was disappointed :(

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a very "Marmite" game.

Some people (like me) found it became frustrating and tedious, while plenty of others utterly *loved* it.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I was disappointed :(

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a very "Marmite" game.

Some people (like me) found it became frustrating and tedious, while plenty of others utterly *loved* it.

See, I think this is a very healthy thing. Too many AAA games, because of the money that's gone into them, try to be all things to all people. I want there to be games that I won't like but that will have had the time and effort put into them because other people will. I want that there will be games that I WILL like that have had the time and effort put into them despite the fact that other people won't.

Aside from very niche and genre-specific games, this doesn't happen much these days. Nobody takes chances any more. Not when there's a lot of cash at stake.

I mean, first of all I love this game because I'm having a shitload of fun with it. But I also like what it represents in terms of big-name developers taking a risk. Next time it might be me that doesn't enjoy it, but it's better for the industry that they have the balls to actually DO this shit.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I agree that The Creative Assembly should be applauded for it - it was a brave decision, and despite not liking the game personally I think they did a very good job.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has anyone who completed it traded it in or thinking of doing that? I'm wondering whether to. Has good as it was, I'm not sure on the re-play value.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    See, I think this is a very healthy thing. Too many AAA games, because of the money that's gone into them, try to be all things to all people. I want there to be games that I won't like but that will have had the time and effort put into them because other people will. I want that there will be games that I WILL like that have had the time and effort put into them despite the fact that other people won't.

Aside from very niche and genre-specific games, this doesn't happen much these days. Nobody takes chances any more. Not when there's a lot of cash at stake.

I mean, first of all I love this game because I'm having a shitload of fun with it. But I also like what it represents in terms of big-name developers taking a risk. Next time it might be me that doesn't enjoy it, but it's better for the industry that they have the balls to actually DO this shit.

Totally agree.

I haven't actually played Isolation yet - currently on its way with the Postie - but I am prepared to accept that I might not like it. It might frustrate me to the point where I don't get any joy out of it.

But even if it does, I'm also prepared to applaud Creative Assembly for doing something different. The fact that the Alien's behaviour is unscripted and unpredictable makes this a game with the true spirit of "next-gen", as far as I'm concerned. Forget your fancy graphics and particle effects - next-gen should always be about breaking new gameplay ground.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just completed it this afternoon. Fab game. One of the best I've played this year.

Wish they'd included a chapter select detailing what ID cards etc. I'm missing because it's a bit daunting the prospect of playing through it all again just to get all the collectibles. Not sure I will replay it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    Just completed it this afternoon. Fab game. One of the best I've played this year.

Wish they'd included a chapter select detailing what ID cards etc. I'm missing because it's a bit daunting the prospect of playing through it all again just to get all the collectibles. Not sure I will replay it yet.

Yeah not really much replay so might trade it in although not sure how much I'd get. If its not much then I won't bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished it myself. 10/10, would shit self again.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Yeah not really much replay so might trade it in although not sure how much I'd get. If its not much then I won't bother.
    I just sold my copy on ebay for £30, or I think someone told me Cex will give you £25 for it.

I didn't get to complete it but had to sell it as I needed the money. What I played of it I really liked and for me it's scary as hell lol. As soon as I can definitely afford it, I'll get it again.
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Have you played Doom 3?

I really did find that to be a terrifically atmospheric environment for a game (it's actually very similar to A:I, until it goes all weird anyway) but the constant fear of attack actually kind of ruins it IMO.

It's slightly different in A:I but the result is the same, for me at least.
    I'm actually finding that constantly having to dodge the alien is detracting from the experience of exploring the environment rather than the whole thing working together to make the game fun.

I had another crack at it this morning and I dunno if it was just a coincidence or if it's scripted but I keep getting killed when I'm just creeping along and the alien drops out of a random overhead duct for an insta-kill and that really does just feel cheap.

I don't usually bother with alternative game modes until I've finished the main game but I had a pop at Crew Expendable and Last Survivor and they give me the same feeling; sort of like dodging the alien is actually detracting from the fun that I might be having from just exploring the Nostromo.

I find that too, I would prefer if you could even stun the alien and put it out for 5 or 10 minutes to give you some exploration time. Or even if you could set noise maker devices at other parts of the station far away and set them off remotely when the alien is stalking you and send her off to investigate giving you a little bit breathing room
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you could get the alien to disappear for a bit then it wouldn't be as threatening or scary. Like watching a horror movie and wishing they'd just show the haunted house without the ghosts so you could admire the furniture :p

There are sections where you get a respite though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    If you could get the alien to disappear for a bit then it wouldn't be as threatening or scary. Like watching a horror movie and wishing they'd just show the haunted house without the ghosts so you could admire the furniture :p

There are sections where you get a respite though.

Well yeah. I mean, one of the main defining features of the Alien has always been that it doesn't play fair, it's always going to try to kill you, you are meat. Being able to get it to quit doing that at will would kind of make it like the vast majority of OTHER video game baddies, and that's totally what they're NOT going for here. No boss battles. No arenas. That f***er is out to kill you, and it doesn't CARE what you want from a game. It lives to kill and kills to live. I love that.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not playing this game myself (terrible at this kind of thing tbh) but I am thoroughly enjoying watching a play-through on Youtube. I've lost count of the number of times I've been screaming incoherently for them to get under a desk. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been in Transit Control reactivating some computers so you can help Taylor and after doing it all I turned and jumped so high there was just an android right behind me I tried to fight him off but I was unlucky, genius scare and I wish there was more of these than just sitting under a table for half a minute
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoying this game at the moment...currently at the Morleys office stage looking for a keycard, with that big damn alien stalking around the place.

I also find those androids very creep...though they are not too difficult to defeat they have those creepy red eyes and expressionless faces.

One question though - one thing I have not figured out is the 'rewiring' boxes. I assumed these enable you to turnoff cameras, life support, lighting etc in certain areas but it does not really seem to have any effect when I use them...what am I doing wrong?

There are some doors I came across which cannot be opened as it says you need to restore power, and I assume these boxes might help you to do that...I think.

I also came across some doors and panels that ask you to use items such as ion torches and other things, which I don't have and have not come across these on my travels. So far it does not seem to have made much difference to my progression through the game, but I assume there may be goodies and useful items behind these doors I may be missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying this game at the moment...currently at the Morleys office stage looking for a keycard, with that big damn alien stalking around the place.

I also find those androids very creep...though they are not too difficult to defeat they have those creepy red eyes and expressionless faces.

One question though - one thing I have not figured out is the 'rewiring' boxes. I assumed these enable you to turnoff cameras, life support, lighting etc in certain areas but it does not really seem to have any effect when I use them...what am I doing wrong?

There are some doors I came across which cannot be opened as it says you need to restore power, and I assume these boxes might help you to do that...I think.

I also came across some doors and panels that ask you to use items such as ion torches and other things, which I don't have and have not come across these on my travels. So far it does not seem to have made much difference to my progression through the game, but I assume there may be goodies and useful items behind these doors I may be missing.

Glad you're enjoying it. It gets even better. You will come across the ion torch later. Also flame thrower kind of evens up the playing field. He really doesnt like that. Chased it down a corridor with that just to give it a taste of what I had to go through until it went up a vent that is. Really hope the will a sequel to this game.
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're exactly where I was tonight!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So can anyone explain how the rewiring boxes work?
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From watching stuff sometimes there is gas you need to clear by swapping cameras for air purification, or for doors or turning off the security cameras.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I caved and ordered this today despite there being LBP3, GTA5 and Far Cry 4 coming next month, all of which I want. The atmosphere and art direction look outstanding so hopefully I haven't made a huge mistake.
  • Options
    sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just the start....

The list:
    Forza Horizon 2 - 3rd Oct
    Alien Isolation - 7th Oct
    Drive Club - 10th Oct
    Borderlands: Pre-sequel - 17th Oct
    The Evil Within - 17th Oct
    Sunset Overdrive - 31st Oct
    Assassins Creed: Rogue - 14th Nov
    Assassins Creed: Unity - 14th Nov
    HALO: MC Coll - 14th Nov
    Far Cry 4 - 18th Nov
    Dragon Age: Inquisition - 21st Nov

Yeah Im looking forward to playing the Halo set myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Turning off the motion-detector cameras is probably the most important one; happens quite a bit later on. But you can turn off air purification and create smoke/steam which makes sneaking around a bit easier for a short while.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    This game is horrible, excellent but still horrible.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Yes, by travelling back in time to the previous page of this thread:-
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You use them to juggle how power is used in the area.

So, for example, there might be an area where there are 3 units of power available and they're being used to power lights, air purification and security cameras while hatchway covers are unpowered.
    You can switch 3 of those things off and then use the power you've saved to switch on power to hatchway covers.
    As a result, you'll be able to gain access to under-floor tunnels and, with the lights, security cameras and air purification all switched off it'll be much harder for anybody (or anything) to be able to see you.

Sometimes the rewiring will be "mission-critical" (1 unit of power available and you've got to switch off the lights so you can power a door or elevator, for example) but most of the time they just allow you to juggle stuff to make your life easier.

As a rule, always turn off security cameras, lights and air purification to make yourself harder to see and then, if possible, power up as many doors, hatchways and elevators as you can.