The Mentalist season 5 Channel 5

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this season of The Mentalist. More Red John arced than usual plus i really thought we had a Big Bad this season in the shape of Volker. Was hoping we would see a Teresa v Volker plotline develop over the course of the season, but just like that his storyline came to an end in just 2 episodes over the season so far. Disappointed about that but i think there's a chance he may come back for one more episode as he's a great character.

Getting back to Friday's show was it just me or was anyone else creeped out by Van Pelt when she was interviewing the priest. The priest was saying how Visualise are not people you want to be associated with and Van Pelt suddenly came out saying how she believed in some of Visualise's beliefs and thought they could have a positive effect on someone. Seemed like a big hint to me.

I have a feeling there's a twist coming where we'll discover Van Pelt is under the influence of Visualise and since the actress is pregnant in real life this season i think we'll see a storyline where she disappears off our screens and it could be Visualise related. I also wonder who tipped Bret Stiles off for him to leave the country just as Lisbon and Patrick were coming to interview him? Hmmmm.

Oh, i also thought for a moment that Ray Haffner was Red John when he admitted he was a member of Visualise. The actor who plays him Reed Diamond has been in a number of different tv shows and is well known by most people and is a pretty fine actor. So if it is him he would certainly be more than capable of portraying RJ. I just hope they don't go for stunt casting and get some really famous person to play him when he's finally revealed.

One last thing, how is this show doing in the ratings in America since it was unfairly dumped to Sunday nights? This is season 5 but i would hope it still gets a season 6 and a possible final season 7 to end the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    There is def gonna be a season 6 they have confirm this already! so now im praying the rj story will have def grown more or we get know alot alot more than we do now by the end of ths series.

The Guessing who is rj story is great but its been 5 long series now & we pratically know nothing still... Time to get it this rj arc moving much more imo.

I thought the same in that epis that van pelt has become a member or is involved with visulize.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,051
    Forum Member
    boddy wrote: »
    There is def gonna be a season 6 they have confirm this already! so now im praying the rj story will have def grown more or we get know alot alot more than we do now by the end of ths series.

The Guessing who is rj story is great but its been 5 long series now & we pratically know nothing still... Time to get it this rj arc moving much more imo.

I thought the same in that epis that van pelt has become a member or is involved with visulize.

They have NOT confirmed a renewal, although it is expected to survive. With CSI NY having a shortened run this seon, and is already fully screened, that is expected to get the chop by CBS along with Vegas and Golden Boy, both of which are getting lower ratings.
    Forum Member
    1 of the production team twittered few mths ago its not being axe & will be bac. Lets hope he is still right.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    ...was anyone else creeped out by Van Pelt when she was interviewing the priest....saying how she believed in some of Visualise's beliefs and thought they could have a positive effect...Van Pelt is under the influence of Visualise...

Interesting idea, I had just thought she was playing Devil's Advocate to get the priest to open up about his time at Visualise but you could be right. That would be an interesting way to take the show. Van Pelt could use an interesting storylineline after being stuck behind a desk all sseason.
    Forum Member
    Van Pelt has being written out of a few episodes coming up (as she went off to have her baby in real life). Maybe that will be linked to visulize in the end.

In series 4 she was having private chats with bret stiles & taking his advice back then so it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if she is now join as a member. will be interesting to see!
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Van Pelt has been written out for the month with a computer course in LA.

Really liked that episode, it reminded me more of an earlier season (1-3) type of episode, Jane used his skills a lot more then he has done in recent episodes,especially this season anyway (not complaining as I have liked this seasons somewhat different approach) but its nice to have an episode like this every now and again.

funny moments throughout, liked the lets play Bingo line and Lisbon fainting at the sight of the body in worms.

Cho and Rigsby arguing over there dinosaur toys Jane brought them was funny and good to see they havn't forgotten about Rigsby crush on Van pelt, think that might of been the 1st time its been mentioned this season.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't watched it yet, but Van Pelt being written out had to come sooner or later - it was getting a bit silly with her not moving from her desk to try and hide the bump.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to a standard episode of The Mentalist last night and a nice welcome return to some of the humour which has been missing this season. Jane's bingo scene and line was the highlight of the episode! Hilarious! :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renewed for Season 6.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s205/elementary/news/a469024/elementary-person-of-interest-2-broke-girls-more-renewed-by-cbs.html#ixzz2OrAfDcmw

I'm pleased, but as I said in the other thread, I'm also concerned that the Red John story arc will be stretched to almost breaking point.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually watch the first four series on DVD, so got to watch them in quick succession.

Now I'm watching series five on a weekly basis though...God it can drag and I agree with what others are saying about the Red John story being stretched. It's the most interesting part of the show, storyline-wise, but we haven't really learnt much. And when we do, it doesn't really go anywhere.

I also find Lisbon really annoying and unbelievable as a character. I can't quite put my finger on why though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With it being renewed for another season i guess we won't find out who Red John is this season! :D
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the better episodes tonite imo
    for once I had trouble figuring out who the killer was :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought last night's episode was one of the worst Mentalist episodes of the season ever! It was just awful from the get-go and i couldn't get into it at all. I was bored stiff. I know there are filler episodes but last night's was one of the worst FILLER episodes ever. Just a terrible episode.

The only interesting thing about the episode was that it guest starred Michael Gladis who played Paul Kinsey on Mad Men. The week before it guest starred Zuleikha Robinson who played Roya Hammad from Homeland Season 2, thankfully that was a decent episode.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought last night's episode was one of the worst Mentalist episodes of the season ever! It was just awful from the get-go and i couldn't get into it at all. I was bored stiff. I know there are filler episodes but last night's was one of the worst FILLER episodes ever. Just a terrible episode.

Yes it wasn't a good episode, but I think the worst filler episode was the one with the poisoned tea.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this episode mainly because it had the wonderful re-introduction of Cho winding up Rigsby over his love-life.

Cho is the most wonderfully dead-pan dectective. The way he just emotionlessly stares at suspects trying to rile him is priceless.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing about this episode was that the better known guest stars were not the killer for once. Usually you see an actor that you know playing the victim's barber or something and you just know they're the killer.
    This time I saw Kinsey from Mad Men and thought must be him. Then I saw the doctor and thought, no probably him. But it was neither. Nice use of better known actors as red herrings...
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought last night's episode was one of the worst Mentalist episodes of the season ever! It was just awful from the get-go and i couldn't get into it at all. I was bored stiff.
    I don't think it was that bad, but I do agree that it was a poor episode.

This season started out really well, but the last few episodes have been lacking. There has been neither enough of Jane's humour or of his dark side. The storylines just haven't gripped very well either. It's looking tired. Or maybe that's just me. LOL.
    Forum Member
    This weeks episode sounds like it could be quite good by what ive read. (Im hoping anyway). Maybe thats why last epi seems a bit bland.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I enjoyed this episode mainly because it had the wonderful re-introduction of Cho winding up Rigsby over his love-life.

Cho is the most wonderfully dead-pan dectective. The way he just emotionlessly stares at suspects trying to rile him is priceless.

There have been times when the only reason I kept watching the show was because of Cho.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I see the green-eyed monster from Lisbon towards Lorelei last night?

I wonder if she is really sad she is dead. I think it is a shame a great character had to die but Red John wouldn't be Red John if he let loose ends live.

A darker episode last night.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if she is really sad she is dead. I think it is a shame a great character had to die but Red John wouldn't be Red John if he let loose ends live.

Very dark. Loreliei's death felt unnatural, as if she was too major a character just to meet her end so abruptly before the end of the season.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phew what a relief Lorelei is finally dead.
    I found her annoying and smug and trying to be another Sarah Connor.
    But was hoping she would be killed in the police shootout where she improbably escaped so many policemen :p and she looked like a wax dummy in her death scene.
    Forum Member

Yes i agree. Def a little jealous. Alot of her feelings were shown in last night epis just by her looks.

Also quite glad she is dead too especially as she didnt tell patrick red johns name. Felt odd for her to die half way thru thou.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see it back on form again on Friday. Bit disappointed to see that the only two people who could name RJ were killed, but I suppose that makes the viewer empathise more with Jane's 'one step forward; two steps back' situation.