Options

The Mentalist season 5 Channel 5

Comments

• Options
    MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember the woman who gave an interview on tv (she was close to Patrick) slating Red John, then she disappeared and it was assumed RJ had killed her..I can't remember if her body was ever found...I wondered if she might be a possibility as Red John. I think it was at least a couple of series ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Melodybear wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the woman who gave an interview on tv (she was close to Patrick) slating Red John, then she disappeared and it was assumed RJ had killed her..I can't remember if her body was ever found...I wondered if she might be a possibility as Red John. I think it was at least a couple of series ago.

I think ur talking about that kristina woman. She was taken by rj byt they found her in the end. Alive but in some sort of trance rj put her in. she thinks she is now dead???! In her own mind.. Bit far fetched imo but hey its is tv! Be bit dull if u didnt push the limits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am i the only 1 thinking that pj mite of shook hands with rj before his family were murdered. Feel like this whole little black book of names of people in the last 10 yrs is just to throw us off the track. Plus would show rj can mess with pj head without even doing anything still. Just a thought..
  • Options
    MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddy wrote: »
    I think ur talking about that kristina woman. She was taken by rj byt they found her in the end. Alive but in some sort of trance rj put her in. she thinks she is now dead???! In her own mind.. Bit far fetched imo but hey its is tv! Be bit dull if u didnt push the limits.

Yes Kristina...thank you :) She could be putting on the trance, no one usually survives RJ..unless they work for him. I hope they reveal who it is before much longer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True. she could have been puttng it on But rj is def a man the writer confirmed that in an interview he did. But who knows with this show. Maybe she is 1 rj crew too.

I never liked that kristina character waas a little dissappointed rj kept her alive tbh ;)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted they killed off Lorelei in the last episode. I liked her as a character and Jane's on-going relationship with her and Lisbon's discontent at the situation. It brought a whole new dynamic to the show, i thought she would at least be there right till the end of the season but very disappointed she's gone. Now it's just Jane v CBI team all over again. I felt her death was very unnatural, just there to shock and didn't seem like a natural conclusion to Lorelei's storyline at all.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good episode but the only 2 people who know who Red John is both die in the same episode? I mean come on! They could at least have given some extra clue to further the RJ arc.

I still don't understand why Homeland was investigating Lorelei or why they even had to get involved. If i remember clearly, wasn't Kirkland in the last scene when they found her body? Who's to say he didn't kill her and is one of RJ's followers? I wouldn't be surprised at all!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Gutted they killed off Lorelei in the last episode. I liked her as a character and Jane's on-going relationship with her and Lisbon's discontent at the situation. It brought a whole new dynamic to the show, i thought she would at least be there right till the end of the season but very disappointed she's gone. Now it's just Jane v CBI team all over again. I felt her death was very unnatural, just there to shock and didn't seem like a natural conclusion to Lorelei's storyline at all.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good episode but the only 2 people who know who Red John is both die in the same episode? I mean come on! They could at least have given some extra clue to further the RJ arc.

I still don't understand why Homeland was investigating Lorelei or why they even had to get involved. If i remember clearly, wasn't Kirkland in the last scene when they found her body? Who's to say he didn't kill her and is one of RJ's followers? I wouldn't be surprised at all!

I can only think it was down to the actress not wanting to be in the role too long.

Story wise it was a poor move, she was a great character and could have done with more screen time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if pj list are of people he has shaken hands with he has met in his lifetime or just in the last 10 yrs since hes been at cbi? Im assuming its just the last 10 yrs but wanted to make sure.
  • Options
    rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic episode last night! (But then, the Simon Baker-directed ones always are). I'm now more convinced than ever that Bob Kirkland is NOT Red John. He's being far too blatant - Patrick could suss him out in a second. I also don't think he's working for RJ (same reason). I reckon he has his own motives for wanting to find RJ, and either wanted the info from Jane to help him find him first, or suspects that Jane himself is RJ.

I'd love to know exactly what info Kirkland's men got from Jane's office. If Jane knew someone was going to break in, there's no way he would have been stupid enough to leave all his key clues on the wall. He either removed some key pieces of information or added some false leads - more likely the latter, so that when Kirkland appears to be following them he'll know it was him who raided his office...

Can't wait for the season finale in a few weeks!! It's being directed by the same guy who has done all the season finales so far, so it should be good!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An enjoyable episode and I actually spotted that the barmaid was the victim's daughter.

You've got to feel for Rigsby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else reckon Van Pelt's new boyfriend is going to have links to Visualise.....?
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was about 7 episodes behind but managed to catch up. The Red John story is certainly interesting, although it was a shame Lorelei died.

I've enjoyed the show for what it is, though I admit I've grown tired of the CBI being largely incompetent and Jane being the one who solves all the murders. Should be more of him helping them rather than them helping him. It occurred to me this season that we aren't really that much forward compared with the first season. These secondary characters involved in some way are often only season-long and never to be seen or spoken of again. The show effectively resets itself every season and back to square one. We have been given a couple of pieces of information regarding Red John this season but I'm not sure if it will really matter in the long-term.

I've watched it for years and I will stick with it because I want to see the Red John storyline resolved. It's been very intriguing but I just hope it isn't dragged on for too much longer. Would like to see what they could do after knowing who he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've watched it for years and I will stick with it because I want to see the Red John storyline resolved. It's been very intriguing but I just hope it isn't dragged on for too much longer.

I'm a massive Mentalist fan. And as a massive fan of the show, I hope the next season is its last. I know that seems like a contradiction, but I really think they'll ruin it if they drag it out more than one more series.....
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    rachymac wrote: »
    I'm a massive Mentalist fan. And as a massive fan of the show, I hope the next season is its last. I know that seems like a contradiction, but I really think they'll ruin it if they drag it out more than one more series.....
    Agreed. Enjoyable finale tonight but at the same time frustrating. It's sad that the show's main strength in the long running Red John arc, which set it apart from the other procedural dramas at the beginning, has also over time become its biggest weakness because it's dragged on for so long. All these close but no cigars grate after a while, and the few developments there have been haven't been swift enough or credible enough to hook me in the same way they did when the show first started.

Tonight's episode would have been more exciting a couple of seasons ago. As it is, Jane has been closing in on RJ for seemingly an eternity, and I'm losing the will to care because I don't truly believe we're any closer to a resolution despite the list of suspects seemingly being narrowed to just the seven.

I personally hope the next season is the last and the show can go out on a relative high with everything being wrapped up and full closure for the fans.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fantastic finale and they are yet again dangling the Red John is Patrick Jane red herring bait.

How did he get the seven suspects - was it part of the raid?

Good to see Saul Tigh back. He does play the cantankerous, old bastards well doesn't he?

I get the feeling, though unannounced, they are drawing to a close with the Red John storyline in the next season. If he is going to start killing then he will get caught sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I personally hope the next season is the last and the show can go out on a relative high with everything being wrapped up and full closure for the fans.
    Have to agree with you. This season, which started out brilliantly, became very tired in places. They always excel with the Red John episodes, but I think they need to draw it to a close before they lose all credibility. And The Mentalist just wouldn't be The Mentalist without Red John....
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    A fantastic finale and they are yet again dangling the Red John is Patrick Jane red herring bait.

How did he get the seven suspects - was it part of the raid?

Good to see Saul Tigh back. He does play the cantankerous, old bastards well doesn't he?

I get the feeling, though unannounced, they are drawing to a close with the Red John storyline in the next season
    . If he is going to start killing then he will get caught sooner rather than later.
    I think it's time.

Have just caught up with the last episode which I really enjoyed.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even realise this was the finale! :o But it was a great episode so I can see now that it was a good place to end it and leaving us waiting a little longer to see what happens.

I agree with what others are saying, I'm hoping it draws to a close soon because I don't want to see the show being dragged out and become a shadow of its former self. And please no Jane/Lisbon romance!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just read bruno hellers radio interview he did last week he says season 6 will be more action more secrets more mysteries & the chase for rj is now on. He also says jane/lisbon romance will be explored for certain. & the team will be looking at the life choices theyve made ??!!!!???? Hmmm not sure what that means.. but sounds all good imo.
    heller also confirmed jane is def not red john but 1 of the 7 suspects.. my betting is heffner... Or partridge.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught up on the last 6 episodes in one session yesterday (with a break to watch Doctor Who and also watch the Eurovision scoring of course :)). Good stuff as usual but I think they've painted themselves into such a big corner with Red John now that any ending is just going to fall flat.

The only way the big reveal will have any impact is if it does turn out to be Jane, but then it's been so heavily signposted so far that, for me at least, it just wouldn't have the desired impact. I suppose the one way to do the reveal if it is one of the seven is to make it totally matter of fact so your brain doesn't quite click on initially - something like the episode where we finally found out what was in the Tupperware box. That "Oohhhh" moment if you will :)

But I do agree that this storyline needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. They could probably carry on for a bit afterwards though, because I think it would be interesting to see how Jane adapts to life after Red John.
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    knew instantly that Pretty Woman's sidekick was the killer :yawn:
    starting to think Cho is Red John as he could read Rigsby's mind ...
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    starting to think Cho is Red John as he could read Rigsby's mind ...

To be honest, Rigsby isn't that good at concealing things.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Anyone got an idea as to what happened to LIsbon's right arm?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think that Jane gave RJ the memory as a ploy to help work out who he is. A few episodes a go the dodgy FBI man had some people break into Jane's office and photograph his board where he has been making connections. When jane got back to his office at the end of that episode and saw that the match stick had fallen out, meaning that the door had been opened, he smiled and walked in episode over.

Fast forward a few episodes and RJ seemingly reads Jane's memories reaches out and kills a happy one, could it be possible that Jane had, on his board, pictures/clues that could lead someone to that outcome (a bit like Derren Brown with some of his shows).

Although I'm not sure if Jane would sacrifice an old friend/stranger to get one step closer to RJ but you never know.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    To be honest, Rigsby isn't that good at concealing things.
    ..:)...