XF Oz - who else thinks Jai Waetford is sadly dominating the vote?

Comments

• fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Why do people think Dami is dominating the vote? Dami's got a quirky image and quirky personality and it may alienate mainstream Oz audiences. Then again vocally she is unmatched in the competition...but I still don't think she's topping the vote. She's also Korean and sadly (as we saw with Ruth) there is less of a tendency to vote for foreign/migrant acts.

Also Ruth's Purple Rain STILL dominates...Dami's performance was great but too many vocal gymnastics. Never underestimate just singing the tune of the song.

Also this last show basically confirmed for me - Joelle is this year's hate figure for mainstream audiences. Redfoo's song choices, combined with that strange convo with Dannii and Joelle's own image are turning her into Katie Waissel/Cece Frey #3. Sad to see Cat go...

Did anyone else think that Jiordan was absolutely stunning tonight? I had never considered her before - but that version of Thriller blew me away!
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people think Dami is dominating the vote? Dami's got a quirky image and quirky personality and it may alienate mainstream Oz audiences. Then again vocally she is unmatched in the competition...but I still don't think she's topping the vote. She's also Korean and sadly (as we saw with Ruth) there is less of a tendency to vote for foreign/migrant acts.

Also Ruth's Purple Rain STILL dominates...Dami's performance was great but too many vocal gymnastics. Never underestimate just singing the tune of the song.

Also this last show basically confirmed for me - Joelle is this year's hate figure for mainstream audiences. Redfoo's song choices, combined with that strange convo with Dannii and Joelle's own image are turning her into Katie Waissel/Cece Frey #3. Sad to see Cat go...

Did anyone else think that Jiordan was absolutely stunning tonight? I had never considered her before - but that version of Thriller blew me away!

I think Jiordan is....crap. I really do. I don't get the love for her, at all. I thought her version of Thriller was really bad :S
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jiordan's performance was stunning. Jiordan is a very consistent performer. Looking forward to hearing her top 10's performance.
    Forum Member
    I think Jiordan is....crap. I really do. I don't get the love for her, at all. I thought her version of Thriller was really bad :S

It's Imogen Heap's version btw. And it was fantastic...I know people love hearing the same versions of the songs over and over again but some of us like me like hearing new versions of songs.

I know Thriller is meant to be energetically sung as it's an MJ song so I understand where you're coming from but if you consider the nature of Thriller - being a scary song about scary things, this version is more appropriate. Don't get me wrong I'm a massive MJ fan but I can take this more seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Where are these statistics everyone is talking about? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pingu58011 wrote: »
    Where are these statistics everyone is talking about? :)

Deleted from Wikipedia already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Imogen Heap's version btw. And it was fantastic...I know people love hearing the same versions of the songs over and over again but some of us like me like hearing new versions of songs.

I know Thriller is meant to be energetically sung as it's an MJ song so I understand where you're coming from but if you consider the nature of Thriller - being a scary song about scary things, this version is more appropriate. Don't get me wrong I'm a massive MJ fan but I can take this more seriously.

Ah, so when someone doesn't agree with you it means you can patronise me because you're not happy I don't agree with you, OK.

Actually, as someone who plays Piano at grade 8 standard, I can appreciate new versions of songs, acoustic versions of songs and portraying the meaning of a song in a different way.

I did not like that version, and that isn't because I am used to it being an energetic song or because I can't appreciate it or even because I'm apparently not taking it seriously, it's because everyone, and I am sure you will know, is allowed to have different opinions on everything. There are some beautiful acoustic/slow versions of Thriller by artist on YouTube, and as someone who has seen a lot of Thriller covers, in my opinion (and we are all allowed to have one) there are ones miles better than her version.

But, of course, I don't like hearing new versions of songs, and I'm not someone that takes it as serious as you, clearly. What would I know? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Ah, so when someone doesn't agree with you it means you can patronise me because you're not happy I don't agree with you, OK.

Actually, as someone who plays Piano at grade 8 standard, I can appreciate new versions of songs, acoustic versions of songs and portraying the meaning of a song in a different way.

I did not like that version, and that isn't because I am used to it being an energetic song or because I can't appreciate it or even because I'm apparently not taking it seriously, it's because everyone, and I am sure you will know, is allowed to have different opinions on everything. There are some beautiful acoustic/slow versions of Thriller by artist on YouTube, and as someone who has seen a lot of Thriller covers, in my opinion (and we are all allowed to have one) there are ones miles better than her.

Ah the generic 'I have an opinion too' - never said you didn't. Slightly confused why you're being dramatic about this? :confused::confused: I'm not saying you're not allowed to have an opinion - in fact I said I understood your perspective! Why do people always rise up when a person's trying to be understanding? Patronising? I just said that some people prefer to listen to originals and only one version and some people like me (or us referring to other fans of her on here) like listening to other versions of the song! I didn't say there was anything wrong in that or patronizing for that matter...:confused::confused: That's all I said but whatever.

And I can play violin at diploma standard - your point is what? Was just offering my opinion on why I liked it...i never said that my opinion is right/wrong or that other opinions aren't allowed or that I was unhappy because you offered a different opinion or whatever else you want to nitpick off. And I can also appreciate music believe it or not.

Getting back to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUAQNU14_c

I agree she's not that great here, singing Lily Allen's Smile - great song but I didn't feel how great it was when she was singing it. Maybe it's Lily's cockney accent which I prefer...it just was slightly wannabe in this. And she was also a bit pitchy...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah the generic 'I have an opinion too' - never said you didn't. Slightly confused why you're being dramatic about this? :confused::confused: I'm not saying you're not allowed to have an opinion - in fact I said I understood your perspective! Why do people always rise up when a person's trying to be understanding? Patronising? I just said that some people prefer to listen to originals and only one version and some people like me (or us referring to other fans of her on here) like listening to other versions of the song! I didn't say there was anything wrong in that or patronizing for that matter...:confused::confused: That's all I said but whatever.

And I can play violin at diploma standard - your point is what? Was just offering my opinion on why I liked it...i never said that my opinion is right/wrong or that other opinions aren't allowed or that I was unhappy because you offered a different opinion or whatever else you want to nitpick off. And I can also appreciate music believe it or not.

Getting back to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUAQNU14_c

I agree she's not that great here, singing Lily Allen's Smile - great song but I didn't feel how great it was when she was singing it. Maybe it's Lily's cockney accent which I prefer...it just was slightly wannabe in this. And she was also a bit pitchy...

"But some of us like me like hearing new versions to a song" - So, you're basically suggesting that I don't like hearing any new version of a song and stick to the original. Very patronising and more of an attack on me and what I like, rather than my opinion on a performance.

"But I can take this more seriously." - Again, suggesting of course I can't take something seriously, as if it's completely outrageous and wrong for me to decide I dislike something, but of course, It's just me not taking things seriously.

That is patronising.

The reason I mentioned about the piano playing was because you had strongly suggested - "some of us like hearing new versions of songs" - that I don't like hearing new versions of songs. As a piano player there is many ways to interpret a song, and I was letting you know that I can and DO appreciate new versions of songs and melodic changes that can take a song to a new level.

I agree about her first performance. Terrible song choice for her.
    Forum Member
    "But some of us like me like hearing new versions to a song" - So, you're basically suggesting that I don't like hearing any new version of a song and stick to the original. Very patronising and more of an attack on me and what I like, rather than my opinion on a performance.

"But I can take this more seriously." - Again, suggesting of course I can't take something seriously, as if it's completely outrageous and wrong for me to decide I dislike something, but of course, It's just me not taking things seriously.

That is patronising.

The reason I mentioned about the piano playing was because you had strongly suggested - "some of us like hearing new versions of songs" - that I don't like hearing new versions of songs. As a piano player there is many ways to interpret a song, and I was letting you know that I can and DO appreciate new versions of songs and melodic changes that can take a song to a new level.

I agree about her first performance. Terrible song choice for her.

What are you talking about? You deriving all of these things out of nothing...for one you've completely misunderstood what I'm saying when I said 'I can take this more seriously'. I actually said 'I'm a massive MJ fan, but I can take this more seriously'....I didn't mean anything about you! I was talking about the version of the song! I like MJ's version but I can take the Imogen version more seriously! It was nothing to do with you or your opinions for goodness sake! You're looking for stuff to get annoyed about...

And again wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with liking the original version of a song..e.g. I'm a massive Evanescence fan and whenever I hear someone like Ella murdering the song it gets me annoyed. Then I prefer the original...but I also like it when people experiment like James Arthur in SOS/Sexy And I Know It. I was talking about myself then. You seem to get very defensive very easily - I didn't mean any of this as an 'attack' - your now the one clearly not respecting the fact that I can have a view.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

I think Dami has a good chance of winning just like the rest. I do not think it matters what origin she is. If she pulls out decent performances, then I think she will get the support, no matter what nationality she is. I do not think she is dominating the vote, but I still believe she has a strong chance to win, just like any of the others. By the way, her performance of 'Purple Rain' is number 5 on Itunes at the moments, so it does look like she has support out there.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Top 3 should be
    Dami, THIRD D3GREE, Jiordan, in some order.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »
    The Top 3 should be

I would be hapy with that.:) However, a boy will probably there instead of Third Degree or Dami
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be hapy with that.:) However, a boy will probably there instead of Third Degree or Dami

I think Dami is going strong enough to make it. It's not like Oz sabotages contestants like the UK. At least one of the other two (most likely Jiordan) might be dispatched by a boy (most likely Jai).
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jai was dreadful week 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Dami is going strong enough to make it. It's not like Oz sabotages contestants like the UK. At least one of the other two (most likely Jiordan) might be dispatched by a boy (most likely Jai).

I think one of these three WILL be dispatched by a boy, although I think it will be Taylor. Jai is too polarising, without pandering to the Aussie ockers like Jason Owen or Altiyan Childs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jai was dreadful week 2.

... yet marginally better than most others. Sad, I know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... yet marginally better than most others. Sad, I know.

Um..., he was slightly better than JTR but that is about it.
  • woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bjkaave wrote: »

He may have had a few problems with his pitching as the song wasn't really him. That said he is a natural on stage and he connects well with the audience. Give him another couple of weeks to settle in, and with the right song he will be hard to beat!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodlands wrote: »
    He may have had a few problems with his pitching as the song wasn't really him. That said he is a natural on stage and he connects well with the audience. Give him another couple of weeks to settle in, and with the right song he will be hard to beat!

:rolleyes: um, yeah ok then...
    I actually think he was good in week one, but I'm not gonna make excuses like "he needs a couple of weeks to settle in" for terrible performances. The song choice was bad, I'll give you that.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    woodlands wrote: »

He'll be hard to beat alright, but somehow I don't think his singing is going to be the main reason for that...

Don't get me wrong, Jai's talented, but he isn't as good a singer as most of the competition. Fortunately for him that's not all that's being taken into account here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The song choice wasn't good but he was comfortable on stage and not boring (as much as you don't want to listen, you have this sinking feeling that something might come up), unlike the other boys, Cat, Joelle, JTR. He was in the middle of the pack this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song choice wasn't good but he was comfortable on stage and not boring (as much as you don't want to listen, you have this sinking feeling that something might come up), unlike the other boys, Cat, Joelle, JTR. He was in the middle of the pack this week.

I rely think that Jai sounded worse than everyone bar JTR. I will agree that the performances by Omar, Taylor and Cat were boring. Joelle wasn't really boring, the song and performance were all kinds of wrong for her, however.
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Top 3 should be

I think Taylor will in there instead of Third D3gree
  • woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes: um, yeah ok then...
    I actually think he was good in week one, but I'm not gonna make excuses like "he needs a couple of weeks to settle in" for terrible performances. The song choice was bad, I'll give you that.

He is a 14yr old boy! The others he is up against have probably been performing at lot longer and will have a lot more experience than him. For his age he is incredibly talented and he does have a lovely tone to his voice. He was better week1, but obviously the song suited him better, next week's one could be better for him again. I just think its unkind some of the things being said.