N.I.C.E have rejected yet another breast cancer drug.......

2»

Comments

• jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Not wishing to sound heartless, but it's "up to six months" not "you will live six months longer". No mention either of the quality of life for those extra six months.

Plus there is only a 1 in 5 chance (20%) it will work.

I know that no comfort to the families of those it may help, but those seem pretty poor statistics for something that is being charged at £90,000 per person.

I reluctantly agree. If it had been a cure, then I might have felt differently, but it's only prolonging the inevitable, and would take valuable NHS money which could be used elsewhere. And I speak as a person having lost a few family members to cancer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember when or what drug unfortunately, but quite sometime back Sky news was covering a story about a certain Cancer drug (Not intended to be a cure though). A woman was interviewed and if I remember correctly a certain drug (Nice stopped) actually helped save her life. It shrunk her cancer enough to operate and that cured her. Otherwise she wasn't expected to live long. Not saying that would of happened in every case.

Why such drugs are soo expensive is frankly disgusting. It's the same old tactic of greedy money grabbing drugs companies. Even if it didn't cure it would help people stay with their loved ones for longer, but money is everything in this selfish world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    For f***k* sake. Businessmen playing hardball with people's lives.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    CaveMan wrote: »
    Can't remember when or what drug unfortunately, but quite sometime back Sky news was covering a story about a certain Cancer drug (Not intended to be a cure though). A woman was interviewed and if I remember correctly a certain drug (Nice stopped) actually helped save her life. It shrunk her cancer enough to operate and that cured her. Otherwise she wasn't expected to live long. Not saying that would of happened in every case.

Why such drugs are soo expensive is frankly disgusting. It's the same old tactic of greedy money grabbing drugs companies. Even if it didn't cure it would help people stay with their loved ones for longer, but money is everything in this selfish world.

Someone's already quoted the cost of developing a drug. How do you expect drug companies to function if they make no money?!? Who'll develop new drugs if Pharma go bust?