Asda recalls "smart price" corned beef

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
from twitter-
"Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak

Asda is recalling all tins of 'Smart Price' corned beef after low levels of veterinary medicine Bute were found in some batches of product"

I presume this means more horsemeat to be found in this product? Or could to bute be transferred from cattle? Was it not this drug that they were worried about when the other foods were contaminated?

Comments

• PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to put "bute" in the headline.

This was the theoretical catastrophe that people feared with the horsemeat scandal, now actually happening, although apparently not through horsemeat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »

This was the theoretical catastrophe that people feared with the horsemeat scandal, now actually happening, although apparently not through horsemeat.

Have edited title!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC it did contain horse meat.

"The Asda product was tested as part of an industry-wide programme and found to be positive for horse DNA above 1%.

It was then further tested and found to contain four parts per billion of bute."
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    As much as people bleat on how value ranges are just as good as brands and premium labels, this just demonstrates that ultimately cheap food is cheap because its ****.

Meat is expensive. That is the end of it. Butchers don't charge more because they're out to rob you. It;s because meat costs a certain amount and the Aldi/Lidl/ and value ranges are full of rubbish because meat simply cannot be that cheap.

A cheap jam is cheap because it will contain less fruit and in many cases won't even use real sugar but bulk it up with artificial muck

I bought some Asda falafel the other day. At a £1 I thought they were fantastic value as I usually buy them from M&S for £2.29. But I got home and read the ingredients I saw they had rusk in them. So straight in the bin that muck went.

People need to spend more on food
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice is to forget beef and go for pork.

Pork chops are cheap in Asda :D
    The price of beef nowadays is outrageous , but what can you do :(
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    It;s because meat costs a certain amount and the Aldi/Lidl/ and value ranges are full of rubbish because meat simply cannot be that cheap.
    Is the meat in Aldi and Lidl really cheap?

How do you think that they can sell it cheap?
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not from Argentina are they? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    The thought of cheap corned beef always made me feel a bit queasy, I just don't trust meat out of a can :D
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as people bleat on how value ranges are just as good as brands and premium labels, this just demonstrates that ultimately cheap food is cheap because its ****.

Meat is expensive. That is the end of it. Butchers don't charge more because they're out to rob you. It;s because meat costs a certain amount and the Aldi/Lidl/ and value ranges are full of rubbish because meat simply cannot be that cheap.

A cheap jam is cheap because it will contain less fruit and in many cases won't even use real sugar but bulk it up with artificial muck

I bought some Asda falafel the other day. At a £1 I thought they were fantastic value as I usually buy them from M&S for £2.29. But I got home and read the ingredients I saw they had rusk in them. So straight in the bin that muck went.

People need to spend more on food

Some aren't in a position to and buy what they can afford.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Some aren't in a position to and buy what they can afford.

If you can't afford good meat, then why not just have no meat? From a cost saving perspective that's the way it used to be, and still is in many countries.

Eat less meat, and make what you do eat better meat, even if it's only once a week
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Is the meat in Aldi and Lidl really cheap?

How do you think that they can sell it cheap?

Efficiency and low margins .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Joe* wrote: »
    If you can't afford good meat, then why not just have no meat? From a cost saving perspective that's the way it used to be, and still is in many countries.

Eat less meat, and make what you do eat better meat, even if it's only once a week

In an ideal world people would do just that but many families can't afford good quality meat even once a week. :(
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »

Indeed.

It's amazing that now a real danger has presented itself, the story is so low key.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bute?? thats a type of reed if i remember. not shure how this got into corn beef !
    Most of our corn beef comes (or did) fromArgentina . But since the war with them less in imported now.. This means they will look at all cornbeef retailers now and i can see Tescos and Sainsburys will have to take off the tins now
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bute as in Phenylbutazone.
    Phenylbutazone, often referred to as bute,[1] is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for the short-term treatment of pain and fever in animals.
    In the United States and United Kingdom, it is no longer approved for human use, as it can cause severe adverse effects such as suppression of white blood cell production and aplastic anemia.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Who buys this c**p?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Who buys this c**p?

People who haven't got much money and need to eat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    People who haven't got much money and need to eat
    Some people have so many bills they have to buy cheap crap. I hate the oh go to m&S and Waitrose brigade! it's so hard for a lot of people to pay their rent/mortgage and heat themselves and then feed their families.

As for butchers I bought six dinners out of the butchers, well not exactly dinners only one had veg and sauce the chicken stirfry, all the rest were just meat, mince/sausages and nothing expensive or huge in quantity and it cost me 35 euro, I thought the chap had made a mistake I was gutted!

To eat in the butchers in Ireland anyway is so dear and twice I have bought stuff that the butchers should have thrown out but sold to me as they knew I wasn't a regular, in two different places too, pudding that smelled like weird vinegar and sausages that had a lovely just going off taste .

Butchers are not to be trusted! maybe we should all become vegans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Who buys this c**p?

Obviously people who are not in the "I'm alright Jack as I can afford it" brigade.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    Some people have so many bills they have to buy cheap crap. I hate the oh go to m&S and Waitrose brigade! it's so hard for a lot of people to pay their rent/mortgage and heat themselves and then feed their families.

As for butchers I bought six dinners out of the butchers, well not exactly dinners only one had veg and sauce the chicken stirfry, all the rest were just meat, mince/sausages and nothing expensive or huge in quantity and it cost me 35 euro, I thought the chap had made a mistake I was gutted!

To eat in the butchers in Ireland anyway is so dear and twice I have bought stuff that the butchers should have thrown out but sold to me as they knew I wasn't a regular, in two different places too, pudding that smelled like weird vinegar and sausages that had a lovely just going off taste .

Butchers are not to be trusted! maybe we should all become vegans.

:confused:

I don't understand most of this post, but the bit in bold in particular. You 'eat' in the butchers? :confused:
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuck! Anyway, who eats smartprice corned beef??
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It's come to something when you find Scottish western isles in your tinned meat......
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't dream of eating the crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Bute as in Phenylbutazone.
    Phenylbutazone, often referred to as bute,[1] is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for the short-term treatment of pain and fever in animals.
    In the United States and United Kingdom, it is no longer approved for human use, as it can cause severe adverse effects such as suppression of white blood cell production and aplastic anemia.

That's worrying as NSAIDs can be dangerous for people with some medical conditions. The are the same group as common pain killers making it possible to accidentally exceed the safe dose.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Angus steak I buy from Aldi is a fraction of the cost compared to M&S or my local butcher and is just as good quality imho. It looks the same & tastes the same as that from a local butcher. The only difference is that my wallet isn't molested for a decent meal

Getting back to topic, I don't buy value range corned beef as Princes can be bought at a reasonable price & you can make a lovely hash out of that. In all honesty to do with the horse meat scandal, the more I hear about it, the more I would be tempted to buy an actual horse steak if I knew where to get it & if I had the money for it.

Edit : I just read that Kezie foods supply horse meat, so may give them a go at some point