anyone still use a Filofax?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tidying up my room I found an old Filofax that I never used still in its box, a 'Kendal' in brown real leather... It feels and smells lovely :) but I doubt I'll start using it. Surely they're obsolete with iPhones and smartphones doing a much better job as a personal organiser? Am surprised the company's still going!

Comments

• Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Tidying up my room I found an old Filofax that I never used still in its box, a 'Kendal' in brown real leather... It feels and smells lovely :) but I doubt I'll start using it. Surely they're obsolete with iPhones and smartphones doing a much better job as a personal organiser? Am surprised the company's still going!

I'll take it off your hands.

I could use it to write down the numbers of all the groovy chicks I meet when I'm doing the boogie down at the local discotheque. :cool:
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have a faux filofax, with lots of old phone numbers and brainwave ideas scribbled in it somewhere. Since the mobile phone took over I seem have become much worse at remembering phone numbers.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »
    I still have a faux filofax, with lots of old phone numbers and brainwave ideas scribbled in it somewhere. Since the mobile phone took over I seem have become much worse at remembering phone numbers.

Me too, it's twenty odd years old, I still put telephone numbers in it, although what's written in the main part is well historical - mostly what evening classes I was teaching in Germany at the time. Strange really. I should just buy another book.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still use mine. I prefer to have one in addition to electronic devices. Mines a smaller one though. The Domino...in lovely bright red. It cheers me up. I take it to meetings and it's useful to tuck notes etc in the pockets.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use something similar to Filofax, but not that brand. It's a LV agenda with Kate Spade refills - hands down the most important item in my life. I wouldn't be able to live without it - that has my days, weeks and months planned.

iPhone, iPad, MacBook etc are all lovely, but it's not the same as having an agenda. I NEED to write and tick off what I've accomplished. I also love buying diary stickers, you can't do that with an app.

If anyone uses a Filofax or any type of organiser, I recommend Kate Spade refills. Filofax's inserts are too thin. I don't like flimsy paper. The Filofax coloured paper and sticky note accessories are quite good, though.

I am a stationery fiend. Because there are many of us out there, companies like Filofax would continue to do good business; even in this highly technological era.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    We finally got my mum to start using one about 3 years ago, before that she always seemed to have about four diaries, and at least 2 or 3 little phone books, with half the numbers out of date or not in the right section.

For her the filofax is a great solution as no matter how hard we try we can't teach her to use a computer (of any description) properly, and mobile phones are a nightmare with her (I ended up getting her the cheapest, simplest model I could find with a flip or slide cover*)

I don't use a filofax myself, but do still make a lot of use of a traditional calander for noting down dates, with most of the important numbers on my phone/house phone, and computer.

*Otherwise she has a tendency to put the phone back in her handbag whilst still connected.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I have a small one in my bag and I find it so handy. I'm afraid I just use my 'phone for making/receiving calls and texts. :blush:

I also have an A5 filofax which I still use for phone numbers. I tend to use WH Smiths inserts in the A5 but have to use filofax in the small one as Smiths don't usually make the right size for the small one.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uh..Harry, I just need to check my schedule, ya! I'm going out with Harriett, ya, on Friday, but I could meet you and Tobias at the regatta on Sunday, ya! Toodlepips!!
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never needed one. My company handed out little notebooks that had a calendar, holidays and address book, maps etc. every year. Cost nothing and did the job. You couldn't pose around with that which would have been a problem for the filofax users!
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Don't throw it away, I recently sold a leather one on Ebay for £90, so yes people do still use them.