Do certain foods make you ill?

Comments

• PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't make me ill but pasta always makes me feel really bloated and inhibits my weight loss more than any other carbs do.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I think that I suffer from a few intolerances ... Still getting to grips with them ... I suffer violent vomiting, bloated ness, swelling, hives and migraines .... so far I have isolated but with no real understanding:

Red wine from South America - vomiting
    Super Noodles - vomiting
    Peanuts - dry roasted or salted - vomiting
    Milk - gurgling and queasy stomach
    Mashed potatoe - bloated
    Whole meal / granary bread - bloated and diarrhoea
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macaroni cheese and cheese omelettes make me wretch and feeling nauseated.

It must be something about the combinations because I can eat those ingredients separately without any problems.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    After eating barbecued mussels a couple of weeks ago, I had the worst migraine I've had in my entire life, was vomiting bright green stuff and had palpitations.. ended up in hospital! The hospital think it was just a coincidence but I'm never touching mussels again!

Sounds like you had a mildish form of shellfish poisoning, which in itself is very bad news. More severe forms will induce various severe symptoms and even death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellfish_poisoning

I don't blame you for not wanting to eat mussels again. For me, although I quite like mussels, I'd never buy them in a restaurant or from a food stall. That's just asking for trouble. The same applies for barbecues.
    Strawberries bring me out in hives.
    Citadel wrote: »
    Raspberries are VILE, the fruit of Satan, they are!
    AOTB wrote: »
    Although I am not allergic to anything as far as I know, the mere thought of eating a mushroom makes me feel ill. Spawn of the devil, those dreaded funghi.

That's a real shame. All of those are delicious, especially if you're lucky enough to have picked your own.

I miss my dads strawberries and raspberries. I was picking field mushrooms by the bucket full when I saw him last year.

=

As far as I know, I haven't got any food allergies, other than with Lowenbrau beer for some reason. Considering that I must have drunk hundreds of different beers in my lifetime, Lowenbrau is the only one that has given me a migraine and that was after only 3 pints on two different occasions. I don't normally suffer from headaches in general.
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I find that whenever I drink large quantities of alcohol, I feel particularly ill the next morning.

This is puzzling because I feel great at the time of drinking. It's only after I've been to bed and slept for eight hours or so. I wake up with a banging head, my eyeballs are hanging out on their optic nerves, I have a stomach that's churning like a cement mixer and a mouth that feels as if a gorilla has dumped in it.

Am I the only one who suffers from this peculiar reaction...?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    I find that whenever I drink large quantities of alcohol, I feel particularly ill the next morning.

This is puzzling because I feel great at the time of drinking. It's only after I've been to bed and slept for eight hours or so. I wake up with a banging head, my eyeballs are hanging out on their optic nerves, I have a stomach that's churning like a cement mixer and a mouth that feels as if a gorilla has dumped in it.

Yes, you are the only person in the entire history of the human race that has had a hangover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Lettuce makes me ill. I actually like it but it always has a strange effect on me.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »

:D .
  • cactuscactus Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Kidneys make me violently sick. Even the smell of a steak and kidney pie makes me want to puke.

When I was in primary school back in the 70s, the dinner ladies frequently made me eat it despite my protests, and I threw up in the school toilets more times than I care to remember. My mum ended up having to kick up a massive fuss to stop them forcing me to eat it.

I was going to post the same sort of story. Is there a name for this intolerance? I am looking for a name for it beyond kidney intolerance. I can eat literally anything else but only kidney puts my system into reverse. Have been fed kidney in meat stews without me knowing beforehand (call it a family experiment) and it still happens.

Never seen it documented. I am sure kidney gets put in all sorts so I don't think its traces of would be enough, maybe only where chunks of kidney are present.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that I suffer from a few intolerances ... Still getting to grips with them ... I suffer violent vomiting, bloated ness, swelling, hives and migraines .... so far I have isolated but with no real understanding:

Red wine from South America - vomiting
    Super Noodles - vomiting
    Peanuts - dry roasted or salted - vomiting
    Milk - gurgling and queasy stomach
    Mashed potatoe - bloated
    Whole meal / granary bread - bloated and diarrhoea

Super noodles make me ill as well. They are too wheaty and make me constipated :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cactus wrote: »
    I was going to post the same sort of story. Is there a name for this intolerance? I am looking for a name for it beyond kidney intolerance. I can eat literally anything else but only kidney puts my system into reverse. Have been fed kidney in meat stews without me knowing beforehand (call it a family experiment) and it still happens.

Never seen it documented. I am sure kidney gets put in all sorts so I don't think its traces of would be enough, maybe only where chunks of kidney are present.

Why do you need a different name for it?
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am now a vegan but I discovered aged 6 that I am allergic to all fish and seafood. Had a fish finger and immediately vomited. Seafood in particular makes me swell up and I can't breathe. Have to keep an epi pen with me in case of accidental ingestion.

For non allergy reasons, pomegranate and starfruit make me heave.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatty greasy foods tend to give me heartburn and nausea. I don't have any allergies though.
    And eggs that aren't cooked all the way through make me feel sick as well, though that's probably more psychological.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    I'm ok with chip shop Fish, but i vomit if i eat any other Fish or Seafood.

I get migraines drinking Coca Cola/Pepsi & even the diet ones although i'm ok drinking a 500ml bottle.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I take crazy sneezing fits and get very bunged up, snottery and sinusy when I drink certain brands of Champagne.

I'm the same with vodka! Bizarrely enough, it's got to the point that the symptoms start even before the first mouthful has passed my lips; If I know I'm going to drink vodka, the sneezing starts and my nose starts streaming.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Peanuts mess up my digestive system.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be able to eat Yoghurt and Cheese when younger but now they can cause me quite severe indigestion, like my whole chest is blocked and bulging. Have to be careful how much I eat these days.

You can't develop lactose intolerance can you, you're either born with it or not. :confused:
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dog we used to own.

He could eat any type of Chum dog meat - but the chicken would give him the most stinky flatulence :o
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I avoid quite a lot of foods that make me feel ill - all pork, nearly all takeaways especially Chinese, bacon crisps, nearly all ready meals, Pringles, tomatoes, soy sauce, peanuts and parmesan cheese. Most foods with MSG in make me feel ill, and it is horrible so i do my best to avoid them if i can.
  • cactuscactus Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Why do you need a different name for it?

OK fair comment. I perhaps meant a name that reflects more accurately the active ingredient or agent in kidneys (cooked) that cause this. It could be argued that it is all in the mind but I don't think so because I have been fed kidney without knowing and been violently ill. So is it a particular protein, enzyme an amine ? Googling is contaminated with kidney bean results. I have never come across anyone who experienced this before, the earlier post was the first time. So an alternative name that does not contain the word kidney would be a great help in learning more. If other foods have this agent I would have thought something else I eat would do the same. But Kidney is the only thing for me. Truly offal.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love crab but crab don't love me. I know I shouldn't and I don't half feel ill whenever I have it. I don't have it often though but when I have a craving, I have it on Fridays so I can spent the next day in bed with a dicky tummy.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sick after a pack of Marksies walnut whips
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cactus wrote: »
    OK fair comment. I perhaps meant a name that reflects more accurately the active ingredient or agent in kidneys (cooked) that cause this. It could be argued that it is all in the mind but I don't think so because I have been fed kidney without knowing and been violently ill. So is it a particular protein, enzyme an amine ? Googling is contaminated with kidney bean results. I have never come across anyone who experienced this before, the earlier post was the first time. So an alternative name that does not contain the word kidney would be a great help in learning more. If other foods have this agent I would have thought something else I eat would do the same. But Kidney is the only thing for me. Truly offal.

I think its just one of those things. I can eat any shellfish except Alaskan king crab. I can eat any other crab. Alaskan King crab almost killed me the 2nd time I ate it :o never been affected by any other food.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it bad that this thread makes me hungry and then turns my stomach in equal measures.

naming foods and then listing symptoms of sickness may do that though.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its just one of those things. I can eat any shellfish except Alaskan king crab. I can eat any other crab. Alaskan King crab almost killed me the 2nd time I ate it :o never been affected by any other food.

I like shellfish, I'm very careful what I buy though and give it a good sniff before I purchase...

My ex wife though being from Southport was a bit of a minge bag and bought reduced prawns was doing the super Huey down the toilet for three days

That taught her :-)

I'm also dubious about wedding buffets such as cockles, chicken legs and mccoys