Helen Mirren: UK is nasty

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I agree with her, and I would also prefer to live in France, or any country that doesn't celebrate stupidity and ignorance, but as a national 'icon' perhaps she could have been more diplomatic in the way she phrased her comments.

The grass is always greener and all that. If you genuinely think any of these things are mainly a UK thing or unique to Britain, your mistaken.
  • Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like Sean Connery constantly moaning about the UK when he hasn't lived here for 25 years!

I agree with some of the things Helen says about this country, although I doubt France is a better place to live in.

I wonder if she's ever heard the saying that distance lends enchantment? Trouble is, for her distance doesn't as far as the UK's concerned, the enchantment only extends to La Belle France!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if she's ever heard the saying that distance lends enchantment? Trouble is, for her distance doesn't as far as the UK's concerned, the enchantment only extends to La Belle France!

Indeed! We have our problems here and things that could be better, but I still think that Britain's the best place in the world to live.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably her French fairytale doesn't include living in Paris, where you'll find some of the rudest folk you'll ever meet!
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Presumably her French fairytale doesn't include living in Paris, where you'll find some of the rudest folk you'll ever meet!

and smelliest, have they heard of toothbrushes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »

So true. They're far worse than Londoners for rudeness, far worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    and smelliest, have they heard of toothbrushes?

We wash more than the French, but they buy more perfume and deodorant to cover up the smell according to this!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/french-do-not-wash-official-but-the-british-are-smelly-1186193.html
  • HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just left France after living there for 10 years and if I could have a little chat with Helen Mirren I would soon open her eyes to what life is really like there. The society is in general fairly sexist and has a poor attitude towards women, plus the French civil servants and administration exceed all the bad reputation they have, and more. The reason why I left was because I couldn't take it any longer.

I did have an idealised notion of France myself before I lived there. It's not that bad in general, there are some lovely people and some not so lovely people. But the sheer attitude you get from anyone working in administration, plus the complete incompetence and lack of work ethic, is really very draining after a while.

In the UK things are not perfect but at least if you have a query you can usually go in and ask someone what to do. Not so in France, they either don't know or don't care.

Having said that, I imagine that anyone with as much wealth as she has would have an easier time of it than I did! France is no promised land, the grass is not greener and the media and humour are no less cutting than anywhere else really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »
    I have just left France after living there for 10 years and if I could have a little chat with Helen Mirren I would soon open her eyes to what life is really like there. The society is in general fairly sexist and has a poor attitude towards women, plus the French civil servants and administration exceed all the bad reputation they have, and more. The reason why I left was because I couldn't take it any longer.

I did have an idealised notion of France myself before I lived there. It's not that bad in general, there are some lovely people and some not so lovely people. But the sheer attitude you get from anyone working in administration, plus the complete incompetence and lack of work ethic, is really very draining after a while.

In the UK things are not perfect but at least if you have a query you can usually go in and ask someone what to do. Not so in France, they either don't know or don't care.

Having said that, I imagine that anyone with as much wealth as she has would have an easier time of it than I did! France is no promised land, the grass is not greener and the media and humour are no less cutting than anywhere else really.

Thanks for that Happy Tree. :)

It shows there's really good and bad everywhere you go.Helen Mirren's view is clouded by the fact she's never lived there, so she really isn't in a position to make judgements.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I agree with her, and I would also prefer to live in France, or any country that doesn't celebrate stupidity and ignorance, but as a national 'icon' perhaps she could have been more diplomatic in the way she phrased her comments.

France has WAGs, starlets, celebrity chefs etc etc who are just as silly as their British counterparts, and they fuel the tabloids and idle gossip just as much as they do across the pond.

I think Helen has a case of 'grass is greener'
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wash more than the French, but they buy more perfume and deodorant to cover up the smell according to this!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/french-do-not-wash-official-but-the-british-are-smelly-1186193.html

lol, the french look better than us from a distance like the italians they have that certain style but i lived there for 5 mths 2 yrs ago and they do have body odour probs and considering we the english get so much international stick about the state of our teeth, i found it shocking how many french people had bad teeth AND bad breath, and theyre proud of not washing everyday, how weird is that??:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The grass is always greener and all that. If you genuinely think any of these things are mainly a UK thing or unique to Britain, your mistaken.
    katkim wrote: »
    France has WAGs, starlets, celebrity chefs etc etc who are just as silly as their British counterparts, and they fuel the tabloids and idle gossip just as much as they do across the pond.

I think Helen has a case of 'grass is greener'

I get what you're both saying:o I know every country has its problems and its morons.

I was thinking about a specific bit of France that I love, but having thought about it I'm sure you could find its equivalent in the UK too. Okay, I take it back:D
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And most of you have just proved her so. :D:

You have a real problem when Brits leave and go and live somewhere else - and then prefer it :)

You despise success and ambition and resent those who have either - particularly when they take that talent and success elsewhere.

You have a lot going for you, but it's more fun to criticise the rest of the world, isn't it? From your island.

No wonder people leave - and despite their love of things British - choose never to come back. It's too depressing to see how far you have let things go, that's why.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    sofakat wrote: »

You have a real problem when Brits leave and go and live somewhere else - and then prefer it :)

You despise success and ambition and resent those who have either - particularly when they take that talent and success elsewhere.

You have a lot going for you, but it's more fun to criticise the rest of the world, isn't it? From your island.

No wonder people leave - and despite their love of things British - choose never to come back. It's too depressing to see how far you have let things go, that's why.

I've seen quite a few of your posts, and many of them haven't been very nice. Where are you from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The arguments of everyone on here have been rational and well thought out, and I don't think anyone's having a go at her for the sake of it. I don't think anyone has a problem with her living in the US either, she has a husband who's a Hollywood film director after all, but it's all well and good for her to criticise from a position of privilege and as someone who doesn't even live here any more.

The world can be a nasty place, but it can be a good one too, wherever you live.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I live in London, but am not British, and I think your above generalisations are derived from tabloid stupidity perpetuating all the above as fact, when they apply to only a % of the prevailing attitude towards success. Of course there will be the begrudgers but they exist everywhere.

Not my experience of the UK at all. You are as much lost in stereotyping as Helen could be accused of.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

where are you from then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you feel you can speak for every person in the UK, then?

What a lot of generalising in that charming little post of yours.

Also, bigoted much? Could you imagine anyone from the UK making the same generalisations about elsewhere that you have made about their country without being (rightly) tarred and feathered for it on here? For some reason we Brits seem to bend over backward to let everyone stick the boot in. :(
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed! We have our problems here and things that could be better, but I still think that Britain's the best place in the world to live.

Me too, Great Britain is wonderful country. Helen Mirren is a hypocrite, making money is her main priority in life. She hates the Royal family, yet takes the part of the 'Queen' in a film of that name. Money is her only God.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    who says principals matter;)

American high school students do, as they're their school heads!
  • ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Very witty, I'm sure. Of course there are nasty people online. My issue is that she is slating the UK (yet again). The entire Western World isn't that different, so why single us out?

Many people who post on sites like this one aren't even from the UK anyway.

Isn't the internet worldwide? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    So you feel you can speak for every person in the UK, then?

What a lot of generalising in that charming little post of yours.

Also, bigoted much? Could you imagine anyone from the UK making the same generalisations about elsewhere that you have made about their country without being (rightly) tarred and feathered for it on here? For some reason we Brits seem to bend over backward to let everyone stick the boot in. :(

That's true. Some people (mostly the successive governments in this country) need to get some backbone and tell those sticking the boot in where to shove it. They tiptoe around on flipping eggshells, you see that annoys me about this country. No wonder some Brits get angry!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true. Some people (mostly the successive governments in this country) need to get some backbone and tell those sticking the boot in where to shove it. They tiptoe around on flipping eggshells, you see that annoys me about this country. No wonder some Brits get angry!

They don't like it...but they don't leave it either. ;)
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Valdery wrote: »
    Isn't the internet worldwide? :confused:

Yes, but most users of this site are probably from the UK. It is impossible to tell in general though, so Helen's statement about nasty people online from the UK doesn't make much sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Yes, but most users of this site are probably from the UK. It is impossible to tell in general though, so Helen's statement about nasty people online from the UK doesn't make much sense.

My point exactly. ;)