Options

Only seeing the same few people on Facebook?

BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey folks, if this has already been mentioned I apologise.

Have you noticed that you are only seeing updates in your newsfeed from the same people lately? Have you also noticed that when you post things like status messages, photos and links, the same circle of people are commenting and everyone else seems to be ignoring you?

Don't worry, everyone still loves you and nobody has intentionally blocked you. The problem is that a large chunk of your friend/fan list can't see anything you post and here's why:

The "New Facebook" has a newsfeed setting that by default is automatically set to show ONLY posts from people who you've recently interacted with or interacted the most with (which would be limited to the couple of weeks just before people started switching to the new profile). So in other words, for both business and personal pages, unless your friends/fans commented on one of your posts within those few weeks or vice versa - you are now invisible to them and they are invisible to you!!

HERE'S THE FIX: Scroll down to the bottom of the newsfeed on the homepage and click on "Edit Options", click on "Show Posts From" and change the setting to "All Of Your Friends and Pages" Note: This is the fix for personal pages but I am unsure of whether or not the business pages are set up the same way.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, thanks for that, I wondered what was going on.

Another question then, I use Firefox for Facebook, when you click on a photo now, it's surrounded by a huge black screen, looks awful. Doesn't happen if I view in Internet Explorer. What's the deal with this, is there a fix, have I a problem, or have they changed that too? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh, I changed mine yesterday after someone gave me the heads up about this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This didn't happen to me, which I was quite chuffed about.

I did notice a good few months ago that I was only getting updates from people I didn't really give a shit about. I went to investigate my options to see if I'd accidentally hidden all my friends or something daft like that, and back then there was an option to limit the number of people whose updates hit my newsfeed. This was set to "200" and I only have 100 friends, so I was a bit baffled as to why - when I set it to 1000 as an experiment - everyone suddenly appeared for me again.

Facebook eh. I love it, but at the same time it's more than a bit shite. Don't even get me started on Facebook chat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the heads up. Changed mine. i want to see what everyone is doing all the time :)
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. That is actually really useful.
  • Options
    YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, I didn't even notice:o
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just changed it as well, I had noticed I kept seeing the same people all of the time.
  • Options
    BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote: »
    Blimey, thanks for that, I wondered what was going on.

Another question then, I use Firefox for Facebook, when you click on a photo now, it's surrounded by a huge black screen, looks awful. Doesn't happen if I view in Internet Explorer. What's the deal with this, is there a fix, have I a problem, or have they changed that too? :confused:

It's the same on Chrome as well.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flicker wrote: »
    when you click on a photo now, it's surrounded by a huge black screen, looks awful.

That's nothing to do with your browser, it's another of Facebook's "improvements".
  • Options
    charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for this...I also noticed that I was seeing the same amount of people time and time again.

Also, I wonder if this means more people will see and like my statuses now? :o
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it's been done "silently" to ease the strain on their servers. The load on Facebook's infrastructure must be massive. It's impressive enough that it all runs relatively smoothly most of the time - I wouldn't like to be a Facebook developer.
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! just changed mine :)
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also possible (and probably has been for some time) to hide posts originating from individual games or whatever, so that when you go to the news feed you don't see nothing but posts telling you that "Katie just done (sic) clicked on a link in Gameville!".

Fascinating to those who are playing the same game* but less so to those who aren't, and even downright annoying in some cases.

It would be better if game notifications went exclusively to a separate page by default, but I suppose there's a commercial imperative working here.

*And even then, not all the time.
  • Options
    YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    It's also possible (and probably has been for some time) to hide posts originating from individual games or whatever, so that when you go to the news feed you don't see nothing but posts telling you that "Katie just done (sic) clicked on a link in Gameville!".

Fascinating to those who are playing the same game* but less so to those who aren't, and even downright annoying in some cases.

It would be better if game notifications went exclusively to a separate page by default, but I suppose there's a commercial imperative working here.

*And even then, not all the time.

Yeah, that's right. Just click on the "X" beside the post and select "Hide all posts from..." if you no longer want them clogging up your newsfeed :)
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Thanks OP :) I wondered what was going on
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another change.

Problem is we're all so addicted to the damn thing we'll never vote with our feet.

A very powerful problem is Facebook.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    It's also possible (and probably has been for some time) to hide posts originating from individual games

You can also block the application, so you won't see posts relating to it on anyone's profile either and they can't send you invites. Usually you can click on the name of the application, which takes you to its fan page, and there's a "block application" option. Sometimes you have to do a bit of clicking about to get to it. Probably the best feature that Facebook has implemented in recent times!
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can hear Mark Zuckerbergs voice in my head explaining how this change is awesome and how people only want to know what their closest friends are doing and don't care about the ones who they don't interact with on a regular basis.

I hate how facebook is dominating how we communicate with our friends online. The internet, rather than getting bigger.. is getting smaller.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never noticed that either. Changed the setting. Looks no different though,

To be honest after some "surveying" on my part over the last few months, it seems like the same 'handful' of people actually update their status regularly, a large proportion of my friends never bother, probably doing real things or something,
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other problem that seems to have appeared recently is that the posts on pages for organisations,fan pages for musicians,etc (where you 'like' the page) now seem to be appear in a random order rather than order of posting. Anyone who runs a page found a setting to change to get posts displayed in chronological order again?
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much OP!! It was hiding me from around 200 people on my newsfeed!!! I knew there was something iffy going on!!

Changed it :)